In a Mirror, Darkly

malbers

I liked the episodes - but Scott just can’t play angry very well.

Anyway - one would assume that the Terran Empire used the Defiant to win all their immediate battles - and then started to work on taking apart the ship to study - although I do have a question - how come in 100 years the Terran Empire’s technology really hasn't changed or developed?

It would seem to suggest that it was not only Mr Spock's reforms that led to its downfall.

Also isn't it nice how the first Defiant created an empire that paved the way for its downfall, and the second Defiant is the ship that leads in the rebellion

Are you saying the mirror universe is the same one in TOS and DS9 in those Enterprise episodes? I didn't think they were the same as the DS9 mirror universe though hard to tell as those episodes with smiley etc were 200 years later than in enterprise.

The mirror darkly episodes were set at the same time as Enterprise ie 100 years after first contact Marcroft. So there technology would have been roughly equivalent except they stole a lot :)

So' date=' what do you all think happened after Hoshi asked for the surrender of Earth in the mirror universe? These episodes were kickass.[/quote']

Starfleet prolly told her to F-off. She then blasted Starfleet out of existence...Oh wait, starfleet was still there for Kirk and his mirror universe. Oh crap...I'm getting another multiverse headache!

EDIT: Actually, if the ENT mirror universe and the TOS mirror universe are one and the same I'd have to say that the Defiant was destroyed in the ENT mirror universe. If it had survived then the starships in TOS would have been more advanced because the scientists in the ENT mirror universe had the Defiant way back when...

Does that make sense to anyone besides me?!?

c4 :stare:

It makes sense, but judging from how things work in the Terran Empire, I'm going to bet that it's just that they don't have many scientists working on things. It would appear that they mostly just take technology from those they conquer. If they don't conquer much new technology in a hundred years, then they don't get new technology. I would say they had ships like those in Kirk's era for a hundred years, and just didn't get anything new until later.

It makes sense queenhawk - from what we see of the mirror universe, all the terrans are bums whose first ambition is to conquer. They don't seem to have any imediate interest of developing their technology. They probably just made lots of copies of the Constitution class ship, which then weren't enough to defend against the Klingon-Cardassian alliance when they took over and ensalved the Terran Empire. The Terrans then stole the plans for the DS9 era Defiant, thus showing that we have not seen the Terrans develop any of their own ships after the NX class (that we have seen).

Also, if you love the mirror universe, you MUST read the two book series 'Dark Passions'. They are based entirely in the Mirror univerese, before the DS9 second season episode 'Crossover', the first DS9 mirror episode. It is amazing. It features heavily around Seven of Nine's double, and has some Iconian gateway trickery aswell, and features pretty much every Star Trek character of this time period you could imagine. This is obligitory reading for any Star Trek fan. Best books ever.

They probably just made lots of copies of the Constitution class ship' date=' which then weren't enough to defend against the Klingon-Cardassian alliance when they took over and ensalved the Terran Empire.[/quote']

You're forgetting about TOS. There is a mirror universe ep in TOS too. Here Spocks 'mirror' self is affected by Kirk from the StarTrek universe and reforms the Terran alliance in such a way that they become pacifists. Then the Klingon-Cardassian alliance attacks them and they obviously have lost their former power due to this pacifism and are beaten into submission and because of this (feeling betrayed by this pacifism) they relapse into their former behavior...

I therefore conclude that Hoshi doesn't do anything to drastic with the stolen constitution class starship because otherwise the previous events would never be able to occur anymore and they obviously have since DS9 is set after ENT.

Other conclusion could be that the events took place in different mirror universes, but I think that would be a wrong conclusion, not sure why though...

They probably just made lots of copies of the Constitution class ship' date=' which then weren't enough to defend against the Klingon-Cardassian alliance when they took over and ensalved the Terran Empire.[/quote']

You're forgetting about TOS. There is a mirror universe ep in TOS too. Here Spocks 'mirror' self is affected by Kirk from the StarTrek universe and reforms the Terran alliance in such a way that they become pacifists. Then the Klingon-Cardassian alliance attacks them and they obviously have lost their former power due to this pacifism and are beaten into submission and because of this (feeling betrayed by this pacifism) they relapse into their former behavior...

I therefore conclude that Hoshi doesn't do anything to drastic with the stolen constitution class starship because otherwise the previous events would never be able to occur anymore and they obviously have since DS9 is set after ENT.

Other conclusion could be that the events took place in different mirror universes, but I think that would be a wrong conclusion, not sure why though...

In the dark universe, the strongest ruled while the weaker deferred to them. Everyone accepted this as the natural order and that is how their society was able to function without self-destructing. A simple display of the advantages of serving her and the penalties for opposing her would suffice.

It makes sense' date=' but judging from how things work in the Terran Empire, I'm going to bet that it's just that they don't have many scientists working on things. It would appear that they mostly just take technology from those they conquer. If they don't conquer much new technology in a hundred years, then they don't get new technology. I would say they had ships like those in Kirk's era for a hundred years, and just didn't get anything new until later.[/quote']

I think you are completely right. What other explanation can there be? Obviously the Terran Empire expanded through violence and violent people tend to hate scientists so they probably killed off the scientists like Palpatine did with Bevel Lemelisk in the Expanded Universe stories.