What's your view on swearing?

TFMF

I'm curious to know what everyones views are on swearing/profanity both online, or when you're talking to friends/real life?

Personally, i don't approve of it at all on message boards or on the internet. I just think it's unnecessary to swear in public where younger people could see them. However, I will use it on occasion on MSN, or perhaps on IRC if I'm really really happy/angry about something and I'm talking to people i know. In real life, I'm more liberal and will use profanity more often than i should. I don't use it in public, however and try to be discrete.

What about you? What do you think of swearing, both online and offline?

WTF!!!

na really i don't like using or hearing the f-word being used....

but its a part of life....

personally, I just like using words like flip, bum, sap, ar$3H0le, tart, slag.. ect..ect..

oooOOoooo my fav "what the $h|t !!!" lol

mostly toilet humor form the good ol' days when i was a babe... lol ::)

creative yet simple... no need to be offensive, or sexual remarks....

but then again it all really depends on the context & how its said!!!

INIT!!!!

edit: ::)

I don't mind swearing. As long as it isn't exaggerated. I have a tendency to want to swear more in English than in any other language. It's probably caused by all those American movies that are filled with it, making it seem more natural to swear to a non-native English speaking person. Aiming filthy remarks at specific persons is another matter however, that's not done in my book (usually), but just throwing in a swear word on a subject... No real problems with that.

in some cases, some ppl think it like they got one on top of you...

thinking that if you don't do anything when they swear they've won some sorta medal.....

little do they know how stupid they look if a person just walks away and does nothing lol.....

unfortunalty thats not me....

I KEEP IT REAL B***H!!!!!

^^^ if you don't get, youtube dave chappelle

To be honest, I think they have their place.  Nothing expresses raw emotion quickly quite like a good swear word.  They help get negative feelings out of one's system.

Still, they're more of a spoken thing than a written thing, imho.  Written swears just don't have the same effect.

any word can be a swear word. it depends on who says it, what is meant by saying it, and to whom that it gets its "vulgar" meaning.

I've never really understood why it's ok for certain words to be medically correct and proper in conversation, while another more popular word meaning the same thing is considered bad taste. here in the U.S. in movies if a word is vulgar they might for humor use a foreign term meaning the same thing and get by the censors. is that ok or is it still using "improper" language? IMO either word if used for adult humor might have been fine in an adult show.

frakking censors. jerking me around by my cloptosnips and teetlewads. *my apologies to all Freeblezitians from Neptune.*  >:D

• 5 weeks later...

Swearing is one of those things that evolves though time, for instance the phrase cor blimey is a blasphemous remark implying that god should strike you down, the phrase now has no swear value in our culture.

In other cultures swearing is completely different and again evolves throughout time in German for instance to call someone a cross between 2 animals is/was regarded as a huge insult hence swine-hunt (pig-dog) tho again the impact of this kind of insult has diminished somewhat in popular usage.

There are several phrases used in everyday english that are less potent as a swear word than they were say in 1977 when the sex pistols swore on television. some swear words are now used as a term of endearment 'lil sh!t' for instance so the definition of what is a swear word evolves. As it stands at the moment to refer to someone as either male or female genitalia is regarded as a huge insult, although there are exceptions to this rule (calling someone a pussy implies timidity, yeah its an insult but it isn't a swearword)

It seems nowadays that swearing has become multinational and to call someone genitalia in say Punjabi is more insulting. Its hard to say where the ancient art of insulting will lead us over the next 50 years but you can guarantee words used nowadays will be seen as much an insult as my first example.

As to me personally i don't swear much and people who know me know that if i do swear than it means more. I used to swear a lot when i was about 12 tbh and my friends and I could successfully construct entire sentences using nothing but swear words.

When it comes to swearing in front of children i have to say that most kids know virtually all swear words there are by the time they are 10 so it's kinda pointless to as an adult protect children from this but you can still set a good example and the use of swear words highly infrequently is a lot more effective.

Well, my mother was a bartender for most of my life, so I picked up more swear words from a combination of her help and public school by the age of ten than any child I had ever met. But I also learned that there's a time and place for everything.

Here, I'll say whatever shit I fucking please. In an interview with an employer, not so much. Of course, when you swear as much as I did early, you get it out of your system fairly quick. So now I have to come up with new and creative swear words that many people don't understand. Well, fraeck them.

• 2 months later...

I was brought up well, a child who was punished for even saying s##t.

In the modern world its hard not to use bad language. As an adult life isnt alway sweetness , you have to deal with real people and real world issues. Frankly some of the things Ive seen people do are so stupid that they would probably encourage blasphemy from a clerygman.

Problem is that everyone is out for number one, be it your employers and anyone else you meet. Anyone who says they arent is a damn liar. When peoples self centred attitude starts to encroach upon my life then that is the time I let loose the bad language, just to point out to them my disapproval of their attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

On a scale of 0 to 10 (0 being never swearing, 10 being swearing every other word) I probably average somewhere between 3 and 5. I'm aware of it when I speak profanity, and try to keep it to a minimum but when I'm angry I'm not afraid to cut loose. That pretty much goes for online as well as in real life.