I just met FTP and I already hate it!

maybrick

While data is being transferred via the data stream' date=' the control stream sits idle. This can cause problems with large data transfers through firewalls which time out sessions after lengthy periods of idleness. While the file may well be successfully transferred, the control session can be disconnected by the firewall, causing an error to be generated.[/quote']

It's possible that you need to make firewall adjustments or compress the video file to make it smaller and less prone to disconnects.

While data is being transferred via the data stream' date=' the control stream sits idle. This can cause problems with large data transfers through firewalls which time out sessions after lengthy periods of idleness. While the file may well be successfully transferred, the control session can be disconnected by the firewall, causing an error to be generated.[/quote']

It's possible that you need to make firewall adjustments or compress the video file to make it smaller and less prone to disconnects.

Problem with that is, I never have a firewall activated. What I don't understand is I use torrents downloading large files and never had a problem with timing out. What's the difference? As far as more compression is concerned, I've already compressed a 2 hr tv show (that I produce for cable access) to a 233mb file. Compressing it to less than 30mb just to bypass the disconnect would be pointless. It would be unwatchable!

I checked out smartftp but from what I've seen it's only for windows users and I'm a mac guy. So far I've tried FileZilla (worthless), Cyberduck and One Button FTP.

I meant zipping the file for compression or something.

you could also try cuteFTP.

It funny that you should mention CuteFTP. I just barely tried it and about the only difference I can see is that immediately after it disconnects it automatically starts over again. If I wasn't sitting at the computer and left it on it's own it would either circle into infinity or until the bandwidth on my server is exceeded.

Is it even possible to compress a 233mb file down to 30?

Cute ftp I heard was good and has many Features

Cuteftp (for one) can be configured to maintain a connection indefinitely by periodically sending "do nothing" commands to the server before it times out. Cuteftp calls this "Smart Keep Alive," there are other ftp clients that can do something similar.

[br]Posted on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:44 AM

--- snip----

Is it even possible to compress a 233mb file down to 30?

Yes you can tho it would be useless as you whould have to change the size of the move tho if it's for the ipod's it might be doable as they have small screens and omit somethings in movies

Cute ftp I heard was good and has many Features

Cuteftp (for one) can be configured to maintain a connection indefinitely by periodically sending "do nothing" commands to the server before it times out. Cuteftp calls this "Smart Keep Alive," there are other ftp clients that can do something similar.

Where can I find this function? I'm not sure if it's available in the trial version I'm using now.

Ah, nevermind. the Cuteftp for Mac is four years out of date. It wouldn't matter anyways. I just discovered that Cyberduck had the same function and that was still disconnecting even with the option activated.

Have you tried FileZilla? From those folks who brought us Firefox. They have versions for Windows/Linux/Mac. And it's free.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Yep. I've tried Filezilla. I've tried Cyberduck. I've tried Cuteftp. I've tried OneButton FTP. I'll try Fetch, but honestly at the moment I have zero faith in it. I'm almost certain that the problem is coming from the other end, or somewhere in the middle, and not from my computer.

The reason you're being disconnected is because of the server (From what I remember), but some clients support Keepalive to stop you from disconnecting. FileZilla was supposed to have this too, but it doesn't seem to work. WinSCP is the only client I know which does seem to stay connected.

The only other alternative I can see, is stick with using another client, such as FileZilla, and start uploading your file. If you keep moving into a new directory to refresh the connection (Don't click the refresh button - it doesn't save you either!) every few minutes, you should stay connected. Annoying, I know.

Well I'll be damned... Fetch worked! And I gave up hope, too. :D Even though it stayed connected I was almost afraid it would never finish uploading because the more time passed the slower the speed became. Thanks for the tip x5313 and thanks to everyone else for all of the advice!

One thing I don't like however is that Fetch was a trial version that I'll eventually have to pay for. I hope I find a free alternative that works equally well before that time comes. :(

Fetch is a trial but what's good about it, is that it doesn't stop working, the only thing that changes is that after a while you have to wait a period before being able to use it. So it never stops working.

Fetch is a trial but what's good about it, is that it doesn't stop working, the only thing that changes is that after a while you have to wait a period before being able to use it. So it never stops working.

It also helps that serial #s for Fetch are really easy to find online, so I've discovered. ;)