Questions about 'SPAM'

dino4

This would be classed as SPAM....but i don't care because i'm unhappy with the restrictions - some offtopic-ness is good

I tried to explain that there are NOT any new 'restrictions', and there is nothing wrong with off-topicness, and long as it is restricted to the appropriate (Mos Eisley) forum. I'm simply trying to provide some organization so both those that want to be silly that those that don't can both be happy.

There may have been some over-zealous-ness in calling certain threads spam, but I hope to have cleared up that confusion.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the moderators has being saying there is a Crack down on spamming and stuff like that - And theaveng received a PM saying he had to stop making threads that were irelivent and stuff like that when they were made in the Ten Forward section - designed for non scifi topics as well. This is what i mean!!! - oh it's so frustration :)

You are slightly over-reacting TFMF, nothing much has changed except the addition of the new sub-forum (Mos Eisley). Topics in here will be treated with extremely high 'spam/sillyness'-tolerance. (Only threads wich consist exclusively of spam, like: "post a letter" and such, are likely to be targetted by 'anti-spamming') So if you want to create/participate in these (=spammy/silly) kinds of topics, you can do so in this sub-forum. No-one will hinder you or anybody else for that matter.

As for my choice of words in that other thread you are referring to, you might have misunderstood me slightly. I did not intend to suggest that you could not reply to someones post in a funny way or anything like that. Just if you do that and someone else replies to you (no longer in line with the topic itself) and you reply again to that.... Well, in such a case it might be better to create a new thread where you can continue this 'new' discussion.

I do hope you understand the intentions better now. If not, ask away and I/other mods/NiteShdw will try my/our best to explain...

We DON'T want to restrict you and are NOT planning to do so, we just want to provide a little guidance...

As Nite said, there was some confusion the other day about what was what and such... I don't think too much damage was done (appart from maybe a bad choice of words), no-one got hurt :) and nearly all (non-excessive) topics are still available.

Not entirely true, S0vi3t has locked several topics and said they were spam....And should not be continued... (This disturbes me greatly) I hope with the existence of Mos Eisley this will not be happening anymore.... Because there is nothing worse than locking those threads and forbidding us to post there.... (Allthough some threads are really stupid adn shoudl indeed get an warning..... post one letter thread for instance)

If you feel it is necessary that a certain locked thread is reopened, feel free to pm a mod and I'm sure they'll have a look at it too see if it was locked unintentionally/too soon/maybe under false impressions..., I'm sure that if the thread in question isn't too 'dirty', it will be reopened on request...

Starfleet Security: here to serve the federation! :p

Not entirely true' date=' S0vi3t has locked several topics and said they were spam....And should not be continued... (This disturbes me greatly) I hope with the existence of Mos Eisley this will not be happening anymore.... Because there is nothing worse than locking those threads and forbidding us to post there.... (Allthough some threads are really stupid adn shoudl indeed get an warning..... post one letter thread for instance)[/quote']

Those threads were locked before the creation of the Mos Eisley forum, and in fact, they were the reason for its creation. As moderators, we decided that a better course of action was to simply move those sort of topics rather than lock them.

I appologize for the inconvience.

Don't do that makes me feel guilty..... :p You maintain a great site...That's what's keeping me here for over almost a year now...

I only got worried that our new mods got a bit to excited and started to exile everyone who makes an stupid topic.

I've been here longer than all the mods (except Nite) and will stay here for a long time to go!!!!! So don't start appologizing ;).

B) B) B)

Don't do that makes me feel guilty..... :p You maintain a great site...That's what's keeping me here for over almost a year now...

I only got worried that our new mods got a bit to excited and started to exile everyone who makes an stupid topic.

I've been here longer than all the mods (except Nite) and will stay here for a long time to go!!!!! So don't start appologizing ;).

B) B) B)

well the mods were just doing what they thought was right....and it was really - even if it was the inspiration for this topic ;)

Some people's garbage is other people's treasure.

There are a few topic types listed in your undesirable category that I enjoy reading and would hate to see eliminated such as the "Best looking Sci-Fi actor/actress threads". These are fairly entertaining threads with about the same intelectual level as that found in Star or People magazines and I'm sure keep many people comming back to participate in the forums. Gageing the number of people (not individual posts) that were engaged in these debates, it would seem fairly prudent to keep them. I would hate to see this site lose these topics.

The feel of tolerance and acceptance generated by Niteshdw is something that I really feel should continue. These forums are a place for people with like minded interests to come together and converse. If the thread isn't interesting to others then it will likely quickly die. Otherwise people will post and enjoy themselves. We all have a common interest in Sci-Fi. Thats what gives the common ground. After that, conversation topic is a moot point. There may be unrelated conversations but they will be different then that found on other sites due to the people the site attracts.

(Side not: why is it that when I try to right-click-save some gifs, like the dancing spam can above, I only get a .bmp option. I can work around it but its time consuming. Anyone know what causes this?)

Aah crap, I just hate it when I forget to click the reply button when I'm posting... Have to redo the post, pretty dumb...

Anyways,... If you post an image as a weblink (...) you should be able to save the gif just fine. If you post it as an attachment (with the attach option under the reply menu), it might be possible that you can only save it as a bmp. Don't ask me why, I wouldn't know...

btw. I can save that image you mentioned without any trouble as a gif...

just another side note - perhaps you could change the threads name to Spamming Questions - Have We Been Banished is a bit extream now that the questions have been answered

That was the whole point of the header to get people to come and have a look at what we were saying.

It will remain that way,

so that others that have not been on here for a few days can see what has been going on!

By spaming do they mean those threads like "type one random..."?

yeah - and there also trying to cut down on offtopic stuff

This is just what you two are doing now...

You have both been involed with this thread, Have you both forgotten what you have been reading??