ReactOS

wesi

FREEWARE:

It is claimed that this OS will run all software written for Windows. It is still in the ALPHA stage so an ignorant like me dare not try it. PLEASE one of you geeks/GURUS try it out and enlighten us simple souls about it. It can be downloaded from ReactOS.com.

I've heard about this too, but I haven't tried it out at all. If it runs steam/hl2 (yes I know that cedega is an option but not a particularly good one IMHO because there are speed costs) then I'll have to give it a try sooner rather than later.

Looks like a very ambitious project. Surprised to see that Microsofts team of lawyers havn't threatened them yet. ReactOS does look like something fun to play with on a rainy day, but I'm not sure if I'd trust a pre-alpha as my every day OS quite yet.

If they share code with Wine like they say they do, it should have quite a bit of compatibility, as Wine has gotten very good...

... it's strange, but I find that many of my games do run faster under Cedega than in Windows... my guess is it's the lessened OS overhead from my uber-optimized Gentoo build. Wine/Cedega is mostly an OS wrapper, after all, and NOT an emulator. ^^

In saying that, though, I should mention that what works for me may not work for anyone else! ^^'...

... I'm also planning on setting aside a partition and trying out ReactOS... I'll post my experiences later. ^^