Web Icon

pippincp

Ok peeps

Here's a little competition-no prizes though!

Nite is now hosting a website which I control, so what I want is an icon which I will use as a hyperlink to Nite if anyone wants webspace.

I can sort the link etc what I need is a GOOD graphic for the button.

No prizes good reward (you will be helping Nite in asmall way, and me!)

I'm sure that there are a lot of members of this forum, like me, who are not in the position to donate to help Nite in his problem with the A******S from the M**A but there are other ways.

I've moved a charitable site over to Nite at the same price, cost me nothing but the money they were paying for hosting now goes to him, not a lot but every little helps!

So the challenge: An icon similar to the niteshdw user bar but selling webspace. No prices involved, that's up to Nite, let's see what you can up with.

Final decision will be made by Nite and me. NO APPEALS!

Closing date :- end of April 00.00GMT

I KNOW YOU LOT CAN DO IT!

perhaps think along the lies of "hosting provided by-" only an idea, but it's totally open for suggestions.

Interesting idea. I have a few ideas whizzing round my head best get hand to mouse and get creative I am presuming that the Enterprise/NiteShdw Image will be in line with your thinking... any restrictions on dimensions? i am thinking something the sixe of 120*60 as is the box below... some feedback would be good on these points before i start tho!

Can you use Paramount images for profit without paying a fee? That Niteshdw starship is probably copyrighted or trademarked by Paramount except when used by fan-sites or non-profit sites.

Now Nite's name logo could probably be used without more legal problems. A simple background of a solid color to emphasize the grey metallic lettering and font that he uses. Perhaps the black and gold could be used for an edge border to also emphasize the interests of Niteshdw.com.

I'll play with the ideas a little more. Then share them here.

Edit: three versions I'm trying.

What do you think of the GIF?

Interesting idea. I have a few ideas whizzing round my head best get hand to mouse and get creative I am presuming that the Enterprise/NiteShdw Image will be in line with your thinking... any restrictions on dimensions? i am thinking something the sixe of 120*60 as is the box below... some feedback would be good on these points before i start tho!

Size is ok but be careful of copyright on images although site is non-profit.

Get those ideas rolling!

On a personal note I still think something like the user bar would be better but don't take it that that will be the final choice! Let's just say give me your ideas, I'm flexible and Nite will be involved with the decision and we may include a mod or two for their input. Then again it may be put up as a poll for the users of the site to give their input. We are a community after all!

Pip

hmmm' date=' they look so much better before I shrink them, lol.[/quote']

Don't worry they are looking OK anyway.

How about trying one that looks similar to the niteshdw user bar?

Site will be up and running on Nite's server tomorrow, I'll probibly have to edit links etc so plenty of time for ideas.

No decision will be made on the icon/button before May as promised so plenty of time for your ideas.

Pip

I'm really overwhelmed with the response to this thread!

Only 7 days to go and only one person has even tried to come up with something. (admittedly very good too!)

If size is a problem how about I increase the to the following.

Icon style 160*80max

User Bar style 480*60max

I know there are users out there with the skills for this challenge but where are they? The only reward I can think of is an aknowledgement on the site for the winning design alongside, something on the lines of "thanks to Amnotborg for graphic design".

Come on peeps get involved!

obviously the backgrounds for these werent based on the logo, the first two types are hubble images, the last type is from one of the new high res images of Mars.

I'd normally leave a comp like this to the pros, but there is no way I will let it be a one horse race :)

hubble images copywrite info

They seem pretty happy for anyone to use them including for commercial situations with some minor conditions such as the voluntary notification of use, and a credit to them, which could be in fineprint at the bottom of some page on nite's site if necessary, or even in *tiny* print on the logo

I checked the images I used before, the first set (blue ones) have no copyright claim

the second set have credited someone at a university, so to be used he would need to be contacted, however I only used a tiny portion of the image. 10 points if anyone can find it :D

as for the third set (mars surface), that is from the ESA, they also seem rather free to allow people to use the images. I used and even tinier portion of the image this time. Their website states:

If these images are to be used in advertising or any commercial promotion, layout and copy must be submitted to ESA beforehand for approval (http://www.esa.int/ esaCP/ contact_us.html)

Give us some hints about what kind of image you want and the wording of the bar or icon message.

Over to you Nite. after all it'll end up being your bar or icon.

A suggestion though perhaps

"Hosting provided by.......

Further information click here"

ONLY 5 DAYS LEFT! and to say I'm disappointed with the interest would be an understatement!

I suppose this is what happens when torrents disappear!

At least I'm happy knowing I'm helping Nite albeit in a small way, so mch for a community.

A thoroughly disappointed

Pip

UNLESS something happens in the next 5 days!

Sorry took so long but i lost where this thread was only <5 days left ok i have a 4 state button for you at the bottom is a gif of all 4 states will do more over the next 24 hrs if this is kinda what ya lookin for.

OK extended to 00.00GMT 2nd May should give everyone time.