New film won't be about Kirk and Spock

slug

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget Nemesis ever happened. It's basically STII with the Romulan as Khan and Data as Spock. Nemesis killed the franchise like Batman and Robin killed that one until the reinvention with Batman Returns.

What's needed is an entirely new perspective, much like the one Nicholas Meyer brought to the franchise with the second movie. I find Nemesis to be the nadir of the series. I thought, after debacles like STV that the new blood would realise you can't fob off garbage and keep things moving and making money. Stuart Baird should stick to editing.

Quoted from a national paper today in the UK

TITLE

MATT to be new kirk

"HOLLYWOOD hunk Matt Damon is set to become the new Captain Kirk in the latest

blockbuster Star Trek movie.

The film is set to be directed by Mission Impossible's JJ Abrams who is desperate to get Matt, 35 ,for the part.

Abrams has even got the seal of approval from the first Kirk, played by William Shatner, 75.

A source said:" Shatner gave his blessing."

The movie will centre on Kirk and Spock's early days at a space academy."

:o Why do they insist on going backwards with all the new stuff grrrrrrrrrr *not a happy chappy*

and MATT DAMON AS KIRK OOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGG whos playin spock ben stiller?

I always think of team america when i hear the name Matt Damon. Seen in the TV times(uk) this week that Patsy Kensit auditioned for the role of jayneway' date=' now that could have been interesting.[/quote']

WTF????????????????

Dude, seriously, TAKE A PILL!!

PATSY KENSIT!!!!!!! Are you stoned? Not only is she the kiss of death to everything she gets her grubby little mitts on.... bands, TV, you name it; She also probably THE most reviled actor/actress in the UK.

Thank all that's holy, you're not in charge of making TV. :p

Oh, by all the false gods... They are destroying something beautiful with all this "prequel" BS.... Didn't they learn anything from Star Wars?

I agree with Bapman. They need to put Star Trek away for a while. A decade, at least, then start fresh with an entirely new crew (studio crew: writers, etc) and move further into the future. I liked the idea of staying close enough to the "current" era that cameos are possible. McCoy's appearence in Farpoint was a really nice touch I thought, despite not having seen it first-run and not being anywhere near old enough to have seen TOS in IT'S first run.

TOS was brought back for a 3rd season by a letter writing campaign. This demonstrates that the studio at least USED to care about the fans. Now all they seem to care about is money. :(

Incidentally, I wonder if they would actually take notice if they got a million letters or so from people stating they would not go see the movie/support a BS idea for a new series/etc?

Now all they seem to care about is money.

Too right. Now of course, the franchise needs to turn a profit. But the irony is that it JUST WONT unless thems as take the helm care about producing quality content and the Trek values that transend such pedestrian concerns. Without that - there's no point to the franchise and if its got no point, it sure as hell won't sell!