Star trek idea

Dontai

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I was aware the next film looks very much like it will be a retcon/reboot or at the very least liberty taking TOS eras film with probably Matt Damon as Kirk. I can't see how this in itself will lead to a new series.

It won't set up material for a new series, unless it is meant that its success would imly enough franchise interest to warant a new story concept.

Uh, weren't most of the films done in the interim between TOS and TNG?

To be honest, MATT DAMON (Team America!) as Kirk would be hilarious. Actually, anyone as Kirk would be hilarious. The character is so inexorably bound to Shatner that it seems an exercise in futility to try and get someone else to try and play him. It would be like trying to recast Picard, Han Solo or James Bond.

Uh' date=' weren't most of the films done in the interim between TOS and TNG?[/quote']

Actually, no... 4 out of 10 movies were done between tos and tng. But they all were very much a continuation of tos then seperate movies imo. Of course, they also had a bit more money to do things right.

A movie about Kirk in the pre-tos erra would have nothing to stand upon imo, it would basically be a standalone film. Even if there were more than 1 made, they would still have no series background and no potential of ever having one (certainly if Damon is involved).

To be honest' date=' MATT DAMON (Team America!) as Kirk would be hilarious. Actually, anyone as Kirk would be hilarious. The character is so inexorably bound to Shatner that it seems an exercise in futility to try and get someone else to try and play him. It would be like trying to recast Picard, Han Solo or James Bond.[/quote']

LOL, I'm with you here.

Was it only 4 out of the 10? Huh, I guess The Motion Picture jus seemed like 4-5 movies by itself.

Kirk in his academy days is such a foolish premise... or just Kirk, period. He's been played from his glory days on the Enterprise all the way into old age and death... If they really go back to his forgotten youth, it's just a sign that no one has learnt anything as far as innovation goes in the Trek franchise.

One can almost see the executives sitting around pondering what is to be done with Star Trek, they know there are plenty of schlubs who will pay through the nose and crawl over broken glass with their flies open to get at anything with the words Star Trek on it... but how can these fools and their money be easily parted? The franchise has been bled dry... how to revitalise it? Dig out Kirk!

Yeah. True fiction.

Like the Germans in the twenties demanding they bring back the Kaiser.

Of course in the end they brought back Hindenberg.

Which would be like bringing back Braga, and have him write, direct and star in his own new series.

jeri Ryan didn't deem to mind him.

God damn Turdbag that he is.

Braga:

'Yuh, so we uh, rewatched some of the Trek movies and we realised that the, uh, most succesful and acclaimed ones were, uh, the ones where Earth was in danger, so, uh, we thought , lets do a whole season, where, err Earth is in danger.'

Or words to that effect. Right choice, wrong reasons.

Didn't the executive producers beg Jeri Ryan to join the cast for 3 years before she actually did? To be honest, I'm surprised she passed up a meal ticket for so long - as if 7 years of employment come by regularly for an actor.

Plus, you using minor swears is lame. I mean, we should either (as the forum forces us to) not bother or go the whole hog.

Anyway, we all know Berman and Braga were poison - it hardly needs to be rehashed. Our new fear should be for "reimaginings".

I think people forget that the Borg could only ever be in Voyager as late as the third season on account of the fact that this allowed them to reuse all the sets and prosthetics from First Contact. Rather than reuse the rather dated stuff from TNG or go to the extreme lengths of totally redesigning the borg on a TV budget.

Hence any intention to bring them in earlier would met with opposition on a budgetary basis. Hence it seems unlikely that they would have been interested in her to play the same character before First Contact. I'd say they always knew that the next film would concern the borg pretty much from the outset of Voyager.

I will readibly admit that I've never actually read this anywhere, but it makes sense if you think about it.

Yes, when one is prevented from using real swearwords the best thing to do is probably to devise new ones by combining various obscene concepts, like child abuse and the holocaust or something like that. Or use BSG ones but I find that slightly hard to pull off. But what happened to 'Felgerkarb'? that was great.

As I'm at a loose end, I'm going to go look into this...

Bah, I've got nothing but I definitely remembering that one of the executive went after Jeri Ryan for some time and it took them a while to get her. Whether that ties into budget issues or not, I don't know.

its not budget issues as such, its just that the borg probably only could ever have appeared in Voyager once First Contact was wrapped up, so they could use the props etc.

But it is entirely feasible that they spent the entire third season trying to get hold of her, or possibly a little earlier, say season 2-3 hiatus, with the intention of inserting her (especially on Braga's part, sorry that was awful) a year later.

I think they spent a while bugging her - Jeri Taylor was the one after her, at least that's what I recall. Whether they had the idea of 7 of 9 or just wanted to stick her in anywhere, I'm not sure.

Personally, I think it's a shame they got rid of Kes - she got fat after she left. Plus, her potential was "off the hook" as you kids say.

Kes became quite cute when they lengethened her hair. Watching her in retrospect she seems a better character than I recall at the time.

But remember that she was supposed to live nine years, hence she'd have to shrivel up somewhat. They'd probably just have had some miracle life lengthening development.

Yes, I'd stick Jeri Ryan in anywhere too. Not Jeri Taylor though.

Who's a kid?

Kes was WOEFULLY under used. Considering she was only on for one less season (admittedly season one was a bit short) than 7 of 9, she got hardly any screen time and every time she used her powers it was for one episode and then she went "Huh, better not use these powers again!"

The age thing would have been a non-issue - the Doctor would have found the hypospray to reverse death or something and she'd have been fine.

To be honest, Jeri Ryan was probably all that saved Voyager from an Enterprise length run.

I'm sorry, a dedicated mammophile like myself cannot support that "huge" statement. Mostly padded, yes. Let's not get into a Dundee situation, here... and c4 once modded me when I said tits, I guess anarchy is the order of the day.

Eh, Enterprise had boobs from the get go... and it had a war. Two, actually. Although I think pretty much everyone thinks the Temporal Cold War sucked. Quantum Leap summed it up when he said "Temporal what?"