Stargate News!

TFMF

***This topic may contain spoilers***

--------------------------------------

CARTER MOVING TO ATLANTIS?

--------------------------------------

Well there's quite a lot happening on Stargate at the moment. With the news that Stargate SG-1 has been cancelled there is word spreading around that Amanda Tapping (Sam Carter) from SG-1 may be transferring over to the Stargate Atlantis Team.

Samantha Carter may be saying good-bye to Stargate Command, but she's not quite ready to bid farewell to the top-secret program altogether.

Amanda Tapping, who has played Carter for the past 10 seasons on "Stargate SG-1" appears to be making the move over to "Stargate: Atlantis" when the show picks up its fourth season next summer.

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for a year," Tapping told fans this past weekend at the AT2 convention in England as reported by GateWorld. "I knew at the beginning of Season 10 that it was a possibility that if 'SG-1' went down that I might be doing some 'Atlantis.'

"They exercised that option, which is fine."

How many episodes Tapping will appear in is still up in the air, and it's also not clear if she'll be appearing in a recurring character capacity, or actually joining the main cast.

Of course nothing is confirmed at this point but it is likely we will be seeing more of Carter (and possibly even the rest of the SG-1 Team) in Atlantis over the next season.

Full Article

-------------------------------------

BECKETT TO DEPART ATLANTIS

-------------------------------------

Perhaps on a sadder note - it has been confirmed that  Paul McGillion (Carson Beckett) will be departing Atlantis at the end of this season (Season 3). According to producers, Beckett may return during season 4 but not as a regular character.

Smith reportedly told fans that Dr. Beckett won't be killed off, but instead will disappear in the second half of the current season. Though McGillion will not be a regular in Season Four, he may return for future episodes.

The producers made a similar move in Season Two, with actor Rainbow Sun Francks ("Aiden Ford") departing the show but returning for multiple episodes.

"I think each character is beginning to find the different layers and sometimes the darker side of the characters," McGillion recently told Eclipse Magazine. "I can tell you one thing for Beckett as a character in the second half of the season, there's a lot of major plot lines that are developed throughout with Beckett in mind and I think the fans will be in for some big surprises."

It is nice to note that they are going to give him a good send off at least. But what's more interesting is who is rumoured to replace him.

McGillion was a recurring guest star in the show's first season' date=' and promoted to regular cast member in Season Two. His role on the show as Atlantis's chief medical officer is rumored to be replaced by actress Jewel Staite (Firefly), who will play the recurring role of a medical doctor named Dr. Keller[/quote']

For those that have seen Firefly you will know Jewel Staite as the Engineer on board the Firefly, Kaylee Frye. Staite has previously appeared in Atlantis in the episode Instinct (season 2) where she played Ellia. It's a shame to lose the Scot (being Scottish myself) but if the rumours are true, Staite will make a fine replacment :)

Full Article - Beckett to Depart

Full Article - Staite to Replace Beckett

Well they say he disappears - doesn't die...and i think it would have to be more imaginitive than he simply returns back to Earth. Perhaps it links in to Staite's enterence into the show. Also they mentioned Beckett might return in later eps so it might be that he just goes off to live with some....people...or somthing... well i think it will become clear in the episodes to follow.

I don't think Beckett should go. He's certainly the most human character of the team. Nothing against Staite, but I'm not sure she can replace Beckett. Let's just hope he is not killed or ascended like Daniel Jackson. Maybe they will turn him into a Wraith... That'd be funny!

Regarding Carter moving to Atlantis, I don't see a problem. After all, she won't replace anyone. IMHO, she will be a fine addition to the team. Thus, we'll have more Carter/McKay stuff.

Well he was born in Scotland although did spend a lot of time in Canada. The Scottish accent differs depending on where you come from in Scotland. Beckett was born in Paisley. Scotty was ironically born in Canada.

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for a year,"

"I knew at the beginning of Season 10 that it was a possibility that if 'SG-1' went down that I might be doing some 'Atlantis.'

"They exercised that option, which is fine."

Is it just me, or do these quotes not read as if Amanda tapping is looking forward to possibly being on Atlantis?

I don't know why Tapping sounds like she's getting a root canal, all she has to look forward to once Stargate finishes is drooling fanboys asking for their body parts to be signed at cons... I'm sure that'll make the time fly by. Really though, if she's not keen on being in Atlantis, it might be better to not bother. McGuyver in his last few seasons couldn't really be bothered and it was detrimental to the show, so let's hope that she's more enthusiastic than that interview made it sound.

Also - isn't this KIND of spoileresque material?

FYI - article, not artical.

• 1 month later...

I maintain that there's ambiguity about him being properly dead...

There's not much ambiguity in being blown to hell. :O

It was an actual explosion, no experiment gone wrong and no technology on the sidelines as an out. It was what it seemed... BOOM!

(That's not to say that they won't try to fudge things if they bring him back, but he WAS blown to hell.)

There's not much ambiguity in being blown to hell.

I think the ambiguity comes from McKay's 'visit' from Beckett at the end of the episode. It isn't clear whether it's actually Beckett or whether it's just McKay daydreaming again.