Stargate News!

TFMF

There's not much ambiguity in being blown to hell.

I think the ambiguity comes from McKay's 'visit' from Beckett at the end of the episode. It isn't clear whether it's actually Beckett or whether it's just McKay daydreaming again.

Really?

I didn't see any ambiguity there either, it seemed blatently obvious that it was just a daydream, same thing that's been done a thousand times before in a thousand different shows. Just a device to 'say' bye to the character.

• 1 month later...

I never really liked Beckett. So I look forward to seeing someone potentially more interesting in the show. In fact, in Atlantis, there's only one character I really like, and that's McKay. The rest of them are just "meh". Teyla even annoys me to the point that I wish she would just get off the screen. Elizabeth Weir is hot, so while she is bothersome at times too, she's still ok. ;)

Hmm, when I think about it, with the exception of Vala, I think the main characters in SG-1 are boring too. I liked O'Neill and his slightly cynical and sarcastic attitude, but as we all know, he left. Browder was great in Farscape, but he doesn't really fit in too well in SG-1.

Teyla is way hotter than Weir. She's gotten boring lately as a character but the actress is still hotter. ;)

To be honest, she hasn't had much to do...  :-\

I know. The whole show is boring. I miss Ford stirring things up. Maybe things will pick up when Carter gets there or when T'ealc visits.

I was watching some season 1 episodes of Atlantis last week and I have to agree with you. Ford added another dynamic to the team. Teyla and Ronon just stand there basically agreeing with everything. Bah! No wonder some people call Atlantis The Sheppard and McKay Show. I don't think these SG-1 crossings are a good idea, though. They'll only speed up Atlantis demise, IMHO.

Teyla is way hotter than Weir. She's gotten boring lately as a character but the actress is still hotter. ;)

She was never interesting as a character. And I guess she might be consider hotter than Weir. But I prefer mature sophistication over younger fluff. :)

I was watching some season 1 episodes of Atlantis last week and I have to agree with you. Ford added another dynamic to the team. Teyla and Ronon just stand there basically agreeing with everything. Bah! No wonder some people call Atlantis The Sheppard and McKay Show. I don't think these SG-1 crossings are a good idea, though. They'll only speed up Atlantis demise, IMHO.

Ford was boring! I just felt like he didn't really need to be there. Mainly in the background. The only time i felt he was good was the last 2 episodes we saw him in.

She was never interesting as a character. And I guess she might be consider hotter than Weir. But I prefer mature sophistication over younger fluff. :)

I prefer Weir too. As far as I'm concerned, Teyla could be totally naked in one of these eps and I wouldn't give a damn. I guess I just don't like her. Maybe it's the way she talks. Teyla is not that young, though. That Genii girl from season 1, the new doctor etc. could be called younger fluff, but Teyla? Not by a long shot.

Ford was boring! I just felt like he didn't really need to be there. Mainly in the background. The only time i felt he was good was the last 2 episodes we saw him in.

Yes, Ford wasn't an amazing character, but he was still better for the team than Teyla and Ronon, I think. If the writers don't give these two something to do next season, things will get really pathetic on SGA.

I prefer Weir too.

Personally, I have to agree, Weir is nicer than Teyla. Though, they both are not high on my list. Teyla has got a gawd ugly face, somehow reminds me of a horse and the resemblance with an average Wraith is striking. Yukki! As for Weir, she probably was nice a few years ago, now she's all wrinkly if you look at a close-up they shoot sometimes, so she goes in the too old category.

The character I really detest, is Ronin, he's so totally useless, I think he's meant to attract some machos and skaters maybe? Makes me just want to smack him in the face for real... Becket was overall a useless character (the role, not the position), but Ronin beats him in uselessness by a long shot, I vote he gets removed next season!

Not that any of the above is news, really. :D

As for Weir, she probably was nice a few years ago, now she's all wrinkly if you look at a close-up they shoot sometimes, so she goes in the too old category.

I guess I'm one of those weir(d) ( ;D ) people who generally prefer a little older women.

Third series is Stargate Universe

Friday - March 23, 2007 | by Darren Sumner

The working title of the third Stargate television series has been unveiled! The series currently exists in the form of a one-page treatment of the story and characters, with the title Stargate Universe, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

The new series has been conceived to be "a completely separate, third entity," Cooper said in an interview -- "much more so than Atlantis was. Atlantis was much more of a spin-off seires of SG-1 and was sort of born out of SG-1."

Like many of the producers ideas, Cooper said, the idea for Stargate Universe was originally conceived as a stand-alone movie. "When we originally were sitting around talking about this we were trying to come up with ideas for a Stargate feature -- not an SG-1 feature or an Atlantis feature, but a feature that would fit into the Stargate franchise that we feel we have created," Cooper said. "We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very much something that stands alone?'

"When it became clear that a third series was a more realistic possibility at this point from the studio's standpoint, we figured out how to tweak that idea and give it a little more legs than it would have had as a one-off story. We always, in the back of our minds even in coming up with that concept, felt that it could launch a third series. ... But now that idea has become the core idea for the new show."

Stargate Universe will not be set in a different era, Cooper confirmed, neither as a prequel nor in the far future of the Stargate program.

"I'm not a big fan of prequels," he said. "I don't think that really works, and I don't really understand people who do think that works. One of the things that we love about Stargate is that is us -- it's our military, it's our scientists, it's our people -- and we're going out into the galaxy and the universe to discover all the wonders that are out there, and dealing with our own limitations versus things that are far more advanced than us.

"That's identifiable. It's what we deal with every day, in terms of medicine and science and astrophysics. We're just babies in all that. And we would always want to maintain that in anything that is Stargate-related."

In spite of being quite distinct in identity from SG-1 and Atlantis, the new series will be unmistakably Stargate. "It certainly plays into the mythology that has been pre-established," Cooper said. "But it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series."

Cooper and executive producer Brad Wright plan to turn more attention to the new show's pilot script after wrapping principal photography on the two Stargate SG-1 movies, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum this June. Stay with GateWorld for the very latest developments!

GateWorld

Well, the concept is not that bad, but the title certainly is... What do you think?

I have a problem with combining:

The new series has been conceived to be "a completely separate, third entity,"

and

Stargate Universe will not be set in a different era

and

One of the things that we love about Stargate is that is us -- it's our military, it's our scientists, it's our people.

How do they suppose they can set up a new stargate series that has nothing to do the old series, is set in the same time period and is about "us"?

Another dimension? I'm sceptical... But then again, I usually am. :D

Another dimension? I'm sceptical... But then again, I usually am. :D

I hope they don't pull an alternate universe series. Personally, I'd like something separate, but born from the Stargate program portrayed on SG-1. Something like season 1 of SGA would be cool, IMHO. Interestingly enough, the article is quite large, and doesn't add anything new, except the working title of the new series, which I assume (hope) will be changed.

A series with more of what the scientists did than the soldiers could be interesting. OR a disconnected colony in a mid-level tech system with a non-powered gate getting it to work. OR a series about other races finding the gates and working together to explore. Universe could mean all or any of those ideas. Plus who knows what else? Maybe more on the worlds we know about but haven't been mentioned since discovery. Recovery on those planets after the Ori invasion?