Battlestar Galactica 3x10 - The Passage

Hilander72

[move]Spoiler Alert ... ... ... This thread is a discussion about above and below mentioned episode and may contain spoilers ... ... ... Spoiler Alert ... ... ... You have been warned ... ... ...[/move]

The Passage

Off topic nonsense is in violation of Colonial Law and will be dealt with accordingly.

Guest Mrthumps

I thought this was a great episode thus proving why BSG is billed "the best show on TV".

While I was surprised to see Kat go it was nice that they let her go out doing something good rather than doing something stupid to show up Starbuck or to show off.

I loved the Cylon stuff and ever further hinting as to "the five".

I agree. The episode was great! It was sad to see Kat go, but at least her death wasn't pointless... I'm also glad the writers returned to the "journey to Earth" plotline. Every BSG episode that deals with the subject is excellent. Hmm, the eye of Jupiter, the five (the unknown Cylon models?)... I can't wait for the next episode!

arrrrh much better episode than lastweeks, as its already been pointed out this was a much stronger story...really like the thing about the 5 other models, and baltar questioning is he a cylon or not....damn he is such a complex character but you ave to love him.

BTW great seeing Tigh back in CNC.....where is should be and far more authoritive than helo

Yet another great episode. ;D

I read an Interview with Kat, just a hour before I watched this episode, and it had a few 'you'll know soon...' quotes from Kat.

Now that I've seen the epsiode the interview makes a lot of sense, but I never anticipated that Kat would be 'killed' off entirely. It's a strange feeling when any regular charachter is leaving the show (remember Billy) and even Starbuck changed her attitude towards Kat in the end.

Next episode is "The Eye of Jupiter" and we got some clues to what is going to happen in next weeks midseason finale.

I'll bet Gaeta will say something like: "Admiral, there's an large dradis contact, looks like a cylon fleet...". ;)

Good episode... and yes, last week's wasn't great but at the same time - it was necessary, I think.

Anyway, Kat dying was a bit of a surprise but they did make it a tad cliched, a friend pointed out that this was basically the criminal makes good type plot... although, I think it was a bit more complicated than that and that she felt that she couldn't continue having it known that she had lied.

They lost two ships though, that's going to be a bit of a pain. Someone should have come up with the idea of using ropes on those ships. Oops.

I think they might have overkilled the emphasis they placed on killing off a secondary character.

Did anyone else notice the nod to the original series with the guiding the fleet through an inferno to prevent a food crisis?

Except I think in the original it was also a minefield and it all took place right after the destruction of the colonies.

We also got a good look at the Silent Running ship, which is actually identical to the ship from Silent Running, stock footage of which was used in the original series, and the majority of the fleet is faithful to the original.

Overall, pretty good and well filmed.

Yes, you're right - I think that probably was a homage to the original series, except they didn't have the big ol' screen over the cockpit...

Personally, I thought the star cluster was pretty cool. BSG has done a pretty good job of showing that space is hostile and also, not just open space... far better than Star Trek ever did... Also, it was nice to see them in a kind of desperate situation and taking risks and getting - so to speak - burned. In Trek you know they'd just have got Data to hit some buttons and get the shields to keep them safe.

According to the wikipedia page on Silent Running - the ship is "derivative" but not identical to the Valley Forge.

Kat wasn't really a second-stringer... she was kind of in-between that and something more. Certainly higher up than Billy... and her death was certainly a lot less pointless.

I think they might have overkilled the emphasis they placed on killing off a secondary character.

Did anyone else notice the nod to the original series with the guiding the fleet through an inferno to prevent a food crisis?

Except I think in the original it was also a minefield and it all took place right after the destruction of the colonies.

We also got a good look at the Silent Running ship, which is actually identical to the ship from Silent Running, stock footage of which was used in the original series, and the majority of the fleet is faithful to the original.

Overall, pretty good and well filmed.

It was actually the tv movie battlestar galactica and the path to carolyon, yes your right it was a mine field as they had to have apollo lead the mission to act as a guide ship for the fleet on the ill advice of the council of the 12.  On this occasion it was leading them to a planet with the werid three mouthed singers but ultimately a cylon trap.  It also seen starbuck and boomer flying below the basestars radar and fooling the cylons into thinking that they where a large numbered of viper sqn's attacking, ultimately the basestar got caught in the planets explosion.  It was abit simular to that.

damn showing my age remembering the orginal so well lol

The Kat thing just could have been a bit more understated, like with Ellen Tigh.

And its always obvious when a secondary (supporting, whatever) character is going to be killed off because they suddenly get a lot of emphasis in an episode.

Billy being killed off was lame because it was just so obvious that it was so that he could go and film other stuff rather than being due to any kind of attempt at drama.

Them best and most effective death so far has been Ellen Tigh, or the Pegasus (in a way) because it was so sudden. I suppose if I'd had any  sense I would have seen it coming, but I think we'd all got used to it being there and given up guessing when it would get trashed, so they could do it in the most predictable way possible and get away with it.

I really liked this episode, and that's rare for someone overly critical like me.  I usually have 2-3 major issues with any given episode, and I didn't really have any with this one.

I enjoyed seeing Baltar start to mesh with the Cylons.  It is well done and the human Cylon models are starting to become well characterized without ruining them.  Before this episode, I was frustrated because I thought the writers were being totally ridiculous with where they were taking the Baltar/Cylon story.  Now I understand that the human Cylons are basically like spoiled teenagers and it actually makes good sense with all things considered.  It explains why they are so sex-obsessed, why they are so retarded at times, why they want to just do as they please, and why they are so preoccupied, hostile, and angry with their 'parents' (humans).  The Baltar Cylon side-story has really pulled all of that together WELL in this episode and I now can appreciate one of the main reasons why it's there.

The Cylons aren't just your classic cheesy villains.  They're real, they're flawed, they're infantile, they're experimenting and learning and making mistakes and being selfish and self-righteous.

The Kat story was pretty good too, and I realize that it was the real focus of this episode... but it just felt like a retelling of one of the same tired old stories we've all seen/heard before.  It was done very well, yes.  No problems there at all.  It's just that the Baltar stuff was more interesting to me.

I think the only thing wierder than the sense of deja-vu I had watching this was the fact that the advert at the bottom of the page was for Deja-Vu the movie as I type this.

So that's another couple of ships lost which means more cramped conditions on the remaining ships. The radiation/firestorm they had to pass through was intense and it actually felt that way. I felt their pain, I empathised. Few sci-fi have done that for me.

Baltar being a Cylon - I'm not sure I really care either way since he's the rogue element. Xena-Cylon is just a little too unconvincing after the whole torture thing he's suddenly her favourite human. The one thing I trust is that it is leading somewhere even if I can't see it right now. I think the big shock that comes will be that one of the five is someone we least suspect as being a Cylon like the Chief or Gaeta and that Baltar is actually completely human.

The 'Kat' story was familiar but in a good way. The tragic hero escaping a checkered past, finally redeems herself. I knew she would fall at the end but I bet she would've fallen forward. Got that wrong.

I really got a sense of deja-vu while watching even the part where Adam and Tigh have a good laugh about paper. That was kinda funny. You want to laugh with them. This show just gets better.

• 1 month later...

Very good episode this one, loved the baltar putting his hand in with the Hybrid and working out the eye of jupiter thing, I presume that this eye of jupiter has nothing to do with the big spot on our solar system planet Jupiter as theres way way to much to happen for the show to climax this season. Kat yeah good ending for her I got it wrong too thought she would die in a pointless disobeying of a starbuck order in an attack on a cylon baseship if i'm honest but this way showed her true character she was a gritty lady who wanted to do the job better than anyone else and thats how it ended for her she did however lose 1 ship lol overall excellant 9/10 good to be back on the track for earth again :)