TFMF

We are working on the avatars. The problem we're facing right now is that the left part of posts which contain the users details takes up a lot of space so we're working on minimizing the size avatars take up in different ways. Sorry about this - should be finished soon.

You are correct, there is a problem with the resizing of the avatars, this is a general problem of SMF and I do think they know about the issue, I also think they don't see it as a priority to fix (if they actually percieve it as a problem at all...)

There are 3 ways of showing external avatars in SMF and all 3 of them have a problem associated with them. I previously only knew about problems with 2 of them, but since seeing it on this board I noticed that they all have problems.

(ex. suppose restriction is 100x100)

option1: does not show the correct aspect ratio upon resizing (150x100->100x100, should be 100x67))

option2: does not restrict the heigth of an avatar if the height is larger than the width (150x300->100x200, should be 50x100)

option3: does not work with allready installed avatars (in theory it resizes new avatars correctly, but all old ones are no longer resized at all)

The way to overcome this would be to upload the avatar to the server, instead of external hosting, since uploaded avatars (also in theory), should not have these problems. I can see though that this may not allways be preferable (uploading the avatar).

There currently is no other way in SMF as far as I know.

So if I'd remake mine to 130x100px that would solve the problem?

Yes it would, but the eventual avatar size is likely to be 120x100 (the width is currently set a little bit bigger to counter an issue with the messaging icons, but that issue should dissapear soon.

You can also try uploading it to the server, that should fix any resizing problems completely.

http://forum.nitescifi.com/index.php?topic=8651.msg123878#msg123878

that post explains the reason. there is nothing much to do about that except using an external avatar with the 'required' dimensions or uploading the avatar to the forum.

(I'm not smart enough to improve the image resizing functions, to make them better than SMF default, there also is no existing modification for this, that I know off)

We'll just have to live with it...

There are multiple 'issues' with image resizing in SMF (as I've noticed reading through their support board), not just for avatars. All of these issues are being largely ignored (I've seen multiple posts reporting these issues and none of them is getting usefull replies), I guess it's up to the members to 'make' the images the correct size...