Battlestar Galactica 3x11 - The Eye of Jupiter

Hilander72

[move]Spoiler Alert ... ... ... This thread is a discussion about above and below mentioned episode and may contain spoilers ... ... ... Spoiler Alert ... ... ... You have been warned ... ... ...[/move]

theeyeofjupitersmalluj0.jpg

Off topic nonsense is in violation of Colonial Law and will be dealt with accordingly.

Air Date: Friday December 15 (on

SciFi)

While harvesting algae on the planet beyond the star cluster, the possible discovery of an ancient artifact known as "the Eye of Jupiter" leads to a deadly stand-off with the Cylons, who believe that the Eye is a marker left by the 13th tribe to point the way to Earth

AHHHHH....  amazing episode. This is why BSG is one of the best shows around... I really enjoyed this one because finally the cylons and humans are going head to head with their brains, and are bluffing each other... instead of just shooting each other.

I can't wait for this mid season break to be over. The rest of this season is going to be amazing

AHHHHH....  amazing episode. This is why BSG is one of the best shows around... I really enjoyed this one because finally the cylons and humans are going head to head with their brains, and are bluffing each other... instead of just shooting each other.

I can't wait for this mid season break to be over. The rest of this season is going to be amazing

Im in total agreement with Ank, just when you think this great show has peaked with the gobsmacking rescue on new caprica ronald D moore comes up with another classic with the eye of jupiter, there is so much going on in this you dont know what the feck is coming next

1. we have the core of the episode in the finding of the eye of jupiter temple and the path to earth

2. the cylons jumping in and landing a small group force

3. the conflict between adama and starbucks husband

4. hera, boomers daughter

could this be the end of starbuck, we didnt actually see her ship go down but looked pretty bad with her ship badly on fire.  will adama lauch the nukes? he sure has the balls to do it and i reckon he would make a great poker player.  And what is helo and boomer going to do about hera.

the only down side of all this is we gonna have to wait till next year to see the outcome of all this, damn this show is fast becoming one of sci-fi's all time greats even ecliping greats like star trek, star gate and even dr who for the sheer quailty of the episodes and the imagination that has been poured into this show...this IS currently the best show on TV ANYWHERE!!!

no I dont think he is bluffing, he knows he has to scarafice 49,000 for billions on earth (thou he dont know that!!), saying that at least he can knock out at least half the basestars before the galactica is do for...not that it will come to that lol.

Will be intresting to see how he does get out of this thou...hehe

All I can say is best episode ever.....

This is nothing but cliffhanger all the way in the traditional sence of the word & we are left hanging there as to what is going to happen next.

I got to hand it to RDM & DE for pulling this rabbit from the hat with this episode.

My question is when are we going to see the second half of the season?

This episode is certainly one of the best Battlestar episodes ever (3rd on my list) and having to wait 5 more weeks to see the next episode is evil. ;)

There's so much going on and the way it's building up makes it almost impossible to predict how everything will be resolved. Starbuck has been shout down, Samuel Anders has a gun pointed at him, while Galactica is ready to launch nukes, not to mention that the cylons are about to attack and that's just what's going on on the Algae planet... :o

no I dont think he is bluffing, he knows he has to scarafice 49,000 for billions on earth (thou he dont know that!!), saying that at least he can knock out at least half the basestars before the galactica is do for...not that it will come to that lol.

Earth might not even exist (as far as we know) and if it does there might not be any life there, but it could also be the opposite and there's a chance we'll find out (or not ;)).

Great episode! Too bad we have to wait for the conclusion. IMHO, Adama should nuke the planet so we can get rid of Apollo, Starbuck, Dualla and so on. ;D BTW, where were those nukes when Adama rescued the Colonials from New Caprica? And how about Pegasus? Where were Pegasus' nukes? Hmm...

BTW, where were those nukes when Adama rescued the Colonials from New Caprica? And how about Pegasus? Where were Pegasus' nukes? Hmm...

I think nukes are one of those things that are rarely used, and kept as more of a deterrent than anything else. It might be something like how in Dune everyone has all these nukes, but no one uses them.

also there is probably a minium distance they can use nukes, when pegeus entered the battle that seen it destroyed galactica was surrounded, once pegeus got in the middle the flight looks quite close thus it would of probably blown not only the basestars but also themselves up as well.[br]Posted on: December 23, 2006, 06:00:02 PM

I enjoyed it...starbuck, hmmmm in TOS/1980 starbuck WAS killed i hope RDM doesnt keep to it....lee and kira have some 'ffed up morals

I think you will find starbuck was stuck on a planet with a single cylon see "return of starbuck" thats when they sent the kid back to the fleet who ended up being like the starchild/professor...he also looked like the milky bar kid lol

Awsome.

The mystical element of the show is definitely on the up.

It might be interesting if they actually find Earth. It would certainly make sense from a budgetary standpoint, as with the fourth season of Lexx, or errh, Galactica 1980.

Talking of which, remember that they've already made a nod to 'The Return of Starbuck' ep of Galactica 1980, in season 1 with the episode where Starbuck crashes on that nasty planet alongside the captured rader. Which they eventually used to penetrate a basestar, something that was also done in the original.

The only criticism I will level is that the show is not quite as subtleand sharply scripted as it once was.

Its good to see Stockwell back again, did anyone else think that he looked a little, well, ill? he seems to have lost a fair bit of weight since earlier in the season.

Someone was saying on the Torchwood thread - and I'm too lazy to check who - "people want things blowing up!" We didn't have anything blow up (yet) in this episode and it was great.

The Eye Of Jupiter was a nice find... and it's clear in my mind that there is some relationship between the 5 forgotten Cylon and the temple of the 5... nice bit of conflict between Starbuck's ball and chain and Apollo... and I positively swooned when Adama was going "FIRE ZE MISSILES!" The stand-off between the Cylons and Humans was pretty much perfect... looks like we're in for a stoater of a conclusion next year. I hadn't seen the nuke thing on Galactica before - AWESOME. Show me the nukes.

Awsome.

The mystical element of the show is definitely on the up.

It might be interesting if they actually find Earth. It would certainly make sense from a budgetary standpoint, as with the fourth season of Lexx, or errh, Galactica 1980.

Talking of which, remember that they've already made a nod to 'The Return of Starbuck' ep of Galactica 1980, in season 1 with the episode where Starbuck crashes on that nasty planet alongside the captured rader. Which they eventually used to penetrate a basestar, something that was also done in the original.

The only criticism I will level is that the show is not quite as subtleand sharply scripted as it once was.

Its good to see Stockwell back again, did anyone else think that he looked a little, well, ill? he seems to have lost a fair bit of weight since earlier in the season.

Im trying to think who dean stockwell plays in BSG...is it the cylon preist,  I remember him in the 80's version of dune.

Yes, indeed it is the Cylon priest - but for 10 points name the character he played in Lynch's horrific Dune adaption? It was Dr. Yueh. Wow, by the Gods - this guy was born in 1936. Not looking bad for 70.

I'm not sure about going to Earth... with Lexx, it actually worked out pretty well with the original BSG, it was an unmitigated disaster. I suppose how it goes.

This episode made me think of that episode of BSG where the... oh, wow. If they're immitating the original series then it's obvious - the Cylons are worshipping Count Ibillis or whatever he was called and the colonials are after the Beings of Light... well, possibly.

Yes, indeed it is the Cylon priest - but for 10 points name the character he played in Lynch's horrific Dune adaption? It was Dr. Yueh. Wow, by the Gods - this guy was born in 1936. Not looking bad for 70.

I'm not sure about going to Earth... with Lexx, it actually worked out pretty well with the original BSG, it was an unmitigated disaster. I suppose how it goes.

This episode made me think of that episode of BSG where the... oh, wow. If they're immitating the original series then it's obvious - the Cylons are worshipping Count Ibillis or whatever he was called and the colonials are after the Beings of Light... well, possibly.

I have to admit that the david lynch version of dune was one of the most under-rated sci-fi films ever...anyway thats off topic lol.

I would love them to bring in the Beings of the light and the count Ibilis story line in somewhere as it was one of the best of the TOS BSG, its obvious what is going to happen, the path to earth will not be revealed until that star goes nova and I bet they will have very little time to get the path before it wipes everything out on the planet..I didnt relise it until i watched it the second time lol..must of been the vodka id drank when i watched it the first time.

Yes, there is still a lot of material from the original which could be done well here. As a series, the original develops very well, probably without planning to do so. I keep intending to rewatch it all the way through but i think I should focus on attempting to procreate instead.

Yes, there is still a lot of material from the original which could be done well here. As a series, the original develops very well, probably without planning to do so. I keep intending to rewatch it all the way through but i think I should focus on attempting to procreate instead.

To be honest I really think that there are only afew episodes out of the orginal that are good enough to possibly re-make into the new show, we have already seen the pegeus join up with galactica, but in the orginal cain actually went off on his own "anyone remember sheba?"  I would say that there is probably 2 or 3 from the TOS that could be ported to the new show, saying that the new BSG is totally different in feeling and isnt as "jolly" as the old one.

I think that - outside of obvious difference - tone is probably the biggest one.

Jolly pretty much sums up the original. Which is pretty surprising given the fact there situation is all but identical to that in the original - as in, all but in that they were happy as campers, Face and pals would fly out kill about a million Cylons then go home for tea and cakes. RDM frequently throws in our face the fact the fact that, these are the last remnants of humanity and people are pretty sober most of the time.