New default skin

I checked and it's the expiration date of the SMF cookies that are causing this. It gets set to expire at the same time you login. If I exit my browser cookie gets deleted (no logout), and later restart my browser again (no new login) it get a new cookie that expires immediatly with the default skin set.

Might want to change the expiration date on the cookies to last a little longer (atleast a month or upto a year).

My old nitescifi cookie (QS Forum) is still valid until December 9th 2007 (I presume that is the same date the forum was upgrades to SMF).

and...

Are the spambots/spamusers being banned? (Noticed that the same users makes new spamthreads a day later)

That's very odd. When i went to school this morning i got onto the site and it was already on the Azure Theme. The way it works is everyone on the forum should have the Azure theme set as their default theme. If you are having trouble then perhaps Nite could set it to default on your profile only.

I did some more checking and it seems to be my browser that screws it up.

For some reason it deletes the SMF cookie even though it hasn't expired yet. I've made all the settings to allow nitescifi to store cookies and than none shall be deleted (only manual removal), but still... Wierd, since it doesn't delete other cookies/SMF cookies (from other sites).

I'll have to get used to the eye-piercing white Azure then, I surrend, promise. ;)

i.e. those of us who don't like the new skin have to keep resetting it every login.  *sigh*

I don't understand why they did it either.  You'd think that a user selected skin should be considered one of the user's preferences, and stored as such.  Methinks they either ignored it to keep things simple, or intended to subtly 'suggest' users stick to the default skin... well, I can't think of any other possible reasons, and the second one is definitely not legitimate in my opinion.  Not knowing the innards of the board software, I don't know whether cookies or database entries are easier... but this configuration suggests that cookies are easier to code, and they chose to spend their time on other features.

Yeah if this azure skin was darker it would have me hooked :) i love the buttons the info boxes at the top and the border but the light posts colour doesnt work for me. The main problem with light backgrounds is a lot of sigs have been done in light colours to stand out against the dark background of the old forum. I do visit other forums that have light backgrounds but all the posts have been geared from this point of view and it works for those sites. NiteSciFi should remain dark imo it is a night v day issue ;)

A good thing about the new theme... personal text that goes under the avatar pic! :D

A bad thing about the new theme... scroll bars on avatar pics? >_<

Edit: Maybe it's because I'm viewing it at 1024x768 on my laptop... and not some crazy resolution like 1600x1200 or 5120x4096...

All users can now select the skin of their choice through their profile, look for the option in "Look and Layout Preferences" in your profile, at the top of that page.

The scroll bar in the avatar has been fixed for both this theme and the default theme (where it was present too).

The personal text was removed to save vertical space.

I like the darker theme better too, and here's why.

A reading text on monitor is NOT the same as reading text on a piece of paper. If you're reading the forum in the middle of the day, or in a well lit room then yeah, dark text on a light background is great. At night, or in a poorly lit room it strains the eyes too much, as your basiclly stairing at a light bulb.

That being said, I love the new colours, and I really dig the design so much that I'm leaving this as my default theme. However, I'm also hoping tht this is still a work in progress, and the darks get replaced with lights, and the lights get repalced with darks.