Vista improvements, by Mark Russinovich

TetsuoShima

Soooo, there are actually improvements in Vista that are good for users, besides the forced DX10.

This is the first in a line of articles by Mark Russinovich, he hasn't written the other yet, but announced that he would.

Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 1

It makes for a clear and good read, recommended to all enthousiasts! :)

HAH!  It's like reading a list of linux kernel and filesystem features that have been around for years! XD

Symbolic links, I/O cancellation and priority schedulers, intelligent CPU scheduling... they're all in linux, and have been for ages!  I was laughing my guts out by the end of the article.

I look forward to part 2 to see what other ways Windows is playing catch-up.

next-generation graphics model (such as Aero™ Glass, Windows® Presentation Foundation, the Desktop Window Manager, and the new graphics driver model)

Aero Glass and Desktop window manager LOOK cool, yes. But they are a large part of the reason that Vista's system requirements are insanely high. The system requirements for these 2 features are about the same as running Half Llife 2 at 800x600.

Also, an interesting note regarding the new driver model, is that if you're a fan of Omega / DNA drivers for your video card, and Kx for your Audio card, too bad. the new driver model supports only Microsoft approved drivers.

I like the convenance of being able to download one unified driver pack for my video card. Unified drivers are when you download and install the  latest version of the Catylist driver pack for your ATi card, and it works. Under vista's new driver cartel, unified driver packs are outlawed, and you will have to return to getting your windows drivers like it was 1998, via selecting the exact right card that you need drivers for, instead of grabbing the latest updated unified pack, and running.

If anyone is interested in listening to a professional talk about Vista's 'features', you should definatelly listen to a couple of episodes of Steve Gibson's Security Now. You may not know who Steve Gibson is by name, but you definatelly know hos work in the field in security, as he was the first person to discover, and develop countermeasures to what we now refer to as "Spyware" and "Malware". And he is scared to death about Vista being released.