Static Electricity Has Finally 'Taken a Life'

StitchInTime

My cheap Mexican mouse died this morning, poor thing.

It's been acting funny for several years now.  Then a few days ago, after a mild static shock it frooze.  I rebooted and it was okay.  Then today, it got zapped again, and was reduced to moving from side-to-side.

Fortunately, a few years back when it became irratic I took the precaution of obtaining a second-hand spare.  I think this one is better, though.  It seems to be shielded or protected in some way so that I don't get any sparks after I cross the floor.

This place is ridiculous.  It's a virtually brand new building with all sorts of built-in electronic hookups, but no humidifier/dehumidifier.  In summer it practically drips, and in winter it's drier than Nevada. ::)

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it, it happened again!!!

This time after it happened I got the message that there was no mouse attached to my computer.

I finally had to resort to putting one of those anti-static sheet things you put in the dryer with your clothes underneath the mouse.  I just touch it before I touch the mouse or any other part on the computer, and then I don't get a shock.

I hope this continues to work, because I'm running out of mice. ::)

wondering if it is a static issue here or possibly a problem with the com's interface. is the mouse a com's type or does it use usb? it is unusual for a port to behave like this but i am inclined to doubt that the static problem is all that is causing this. perhaps you're pc has a high static charge? do you have a continuity tester of some sort? try to see if the case is actually earthing as 10,000v of static could be damaging more than just the mouse.

wondering if it is a static issue here or possibly a problem with the com's interface. is the mouse a com's type or does it use usb? it is unusual for a port to behave like this but i am inclined to doubt that the static problem is all that is causing this. perhaps you're pc has a high static charge? do you have a continuity tester of some sort? try to see if the case is actually earthing as 10,000v of static could be damaging more than just the mouse.

No it's not using a USB port. 

I seem to be have been getting zapped a lot generally on every piece of metal in my place; so, I suspect it's not the computer.  In fact, before I thought of using the static cling remedy, I had been touching a piece of metal before I touched the computer, and youch, that hurt! :o

It's been getting warmer the past few days, however, which has caused the problem to go away for the time being.  I'm keeping the fabric softener handy, though, in case it gets cold out again. ::)

I have tried wearing different shoes, with limited success, but nope, no wool undies.

A wireless mouse might not be a bad idea either.  My computer would probably appreciate it. ;D

Guest c4evap

OK. Here's where we all come together as a community. Let's all chip in and buy Fleet Captain StitchInTime a brand-spanking-new wireless mouse! Life is shocking enough without this. I'm in for a few $$$.

B)

• 2 months later...

I think I may have found a solution, but I will have to wait until next winter to find out.  Somebody in my building discarded one of those big plastic mats that are used under office chairs, to allow the wheels on the chair to roll easily and protect the carpet.  Hopefully that will cut down on the static.  It's amazing all the useful stuff people throw out.