Commander Sela

TFMF

I've spent the past few weeks working my way through The Next Generation again. I have just finished watching Redemption Parts 1 and 2. For those of you who remember, this is where we first meet Commander Sela.

For those of you who still don't quite remember her, she claimed to be Tasha Yar's Daughter:

selare2.jpg

Anyway, it occured to me that the writers have missed out on a great villian here. I, personally, found Tasha Yar to be a great character, and it was a shame when she decided to leave, but i think Commander Sela was an even greater character that could have been exploited.

It combines two of the greatest stories - the Klingon/Romulan war and Yesterday's Enterprise. I could just see there being more episodes featuring Sela and letting us see more of the history with her and Tasha (although, from what i remember, she only appears in one other episode :(). I can't remember if she dies or not, but i'm sure the writers could come up with some way to 'revive' her. I'd love to see more of the war between the Federation/Klingons/Romulans with her as the villian...

</random thought>

Tasha Yar died a meaningless death in the original timeline so the altered timeline Tasha Yar didn't want to have her life ended without meaning. She went back in time to be captured and kept as consort for a Romulan general and having a child. How is getting shot by a guard because your daughter yells for daddy not also just as meaningless? A better story would have been how she, a fugitive from an alternate timeline, made it to Starfleet HQ and helped prevent so many cr@ppy episodes from being written. ;)

Sela was just a character that never should have been.

tell me Q wasn't watching events like that, laughing his butt off....

after all the changes to the timeline, what was the original timeline anyway?

also, if you are still interested in Sela read this page at memory alpha.

Really? I loved it. It was like 'what the heck?' Although it did make sense really...

1. Alternate time line - Enterprise C goes into future where Captain dies.

2. Tasha joins the Enterprise C and goes back in time, back to the normal universe.

3. Enterprise C engages Romulans, Tasha gets captured

4. Tasha somehow finds a nice Romulan to have babies with.

5. Sela is Born.

6. At the age of 4, Sela rats out her mother to the Romulans as she tries to escape.

It's rather surprising that a half-breed could rise so high within the structure of the Romulan Empire... after all, it took an insurrection by Picard's clone to get his way... She was a good antagonist though, clearly making up for her early departure from the show by being extra evil. Her participation in the Klingon civil war was a hoot.

Really? I loved it. It was like 'what the heck?' Although it did make sense really...

1. Alternate time line - Enterprise C goes into future where Captain dies.

2. Tasha joins the Enterprise C and goes back in time, back to the normal universe.

3. Enterprise C engages Romulans, Tasha gets captured

4. Tasha somehow finds a nice Romulan to have babies with.

5. Sela is Born.

6. At the age of 4, Sela rats out her mother to the Romulans as she tries to escape.

was a classic TNG episode thou...loved it !!

• 4 weeks later...

Well the writers missed out on alot of good chances to explore situations. I agree it would have been interesting to see her come up again, but i think that the reason they didn't was b/c they didn't want t get side tracked.Well the ppl who wrote TNG wanted to Explore space and not the political aspects of the Star Trek Universe. I mean look at DS9 and you see how it was all revolved around the Dominion. </mho>