NiteShire 3 - In the Federation, No One can hear you SCREAM!

gathererhade

Let's sit right back and you'll hear a tale,

A tale of a fateful trip.

That started...

About now!  (2nd time around)

The crew of the ESS NiteShire:

NiteShdw - Captain

TFMF - Chief of Operations

TetsuoShima - Chief Engineer

Megalith - Communications Officer

Hilander72 - Navigator

Bones2097 - Ship's Doctor

Neomaster - Xenobiologist (you didn't choose, Neo, so I chose for you  ;D)  Victim #2

Kyran - (Motley) Crew

Amnot Borg - Science Officer

Arktis - Ships' Counselor

QUEENSPOCK - guest appearance as RED SHIRT Victim #1

Their mission - to evaluate the distant planet Okami to see if it is suitable for human colonisation.

The first month of the voyage is fairly uneventful - only a few class 2 probes are launched.  But the ship is now well beyond the borders of human habitation.  Everything encountered is a first for mankind.

It is night, and only two members of the crew are awake - the Communications Officer and the Navigator - when the ship computer sounds an alarm...

Hade 9001:  Warning.  Warning.  Category 2 Ion Storm approaching on a wide front.  Calculations indicate we can not avoid it by going around it or outrunning it.  Crew placed in cryo-suspension for a week should be able to survive the storm, however, those not in suspension have only a 5% likelihood of survival.  My recommendation is to place the entire crew in cryo-suspension immediately.

It is also expected that the ion storm will cause major damage to peripheral computer systems, including communications and life support.  Core computer hardware is sufficiently shielded to withstand the storm.  Higher computer functionality should remain unaffected, and the ability to control and monitor cryo-suspension should remain unaffected.

Captain.  Please advise whether crew will be placed into cryo-suspension, and any other steps you wish to make before the ion storm impacts the ship.  Estimated time to impact is...

NiteShire crew.  Your time is running out.  Please discuss what you want to do.  I assume cryo-suspension will most likely be undertaken by all (01 to 05 is so hard to roll on my dice), but what else do you want to do to secure the ship?

TetsuoShima said (on the missing thread) that he's interesting in taking his chances...  silly boy.

You have until noon GMT on the 14th (just over 24 hours from this post) to make your decisions.  Then I will choose the alien's first victim.  What you do may affect my decision - ie certain actions or inaction by each of you may make you more or less of a target.  If you're all really clever, I may add a Red Shirt to the crew...)

Over to you.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i've been up all night listening to my com's theres no question in my mind that i need a sleep. Having an engineer awake might help with fixing any faults as they happen. I swear tho if he says he 'canne take it no more' i suggest a very very large dose of scotch to get him fixed up. I must add that the ion storm has produced nothing but static on my com's system.

Well, i'm guessing that while we're in cryo, we won't have to wait for ourselves to wake up. We'll go in and then come out again by the next day.

OH, i just had a thought. Are we all human on the ship? I wouldn't mind being Romulan. Or Betazoid.

[me=TFMF]sends TetsuoShima a Telepathic message and fries his brain.[/me]

As Captain, I believe that the only viable course of action is to place the crew in Cryo.  All officers and crew members are ordered to immediately report to Cargo Bay 1 for Cyro.

The order does not apply to Chief Engineer TetsuoShima.  If the Chief feels that the ship is in need of looking after, he may make the decision to stay awake on the ship.

Science Officer's Log:

Logically, with an ion storm of that size and speed, the captain's decision to secure the crew in cryo-suspension is the safest and wisest course. Rumors of an alien life form onboard our vessel have no known evidence for proof. Must contact the xenobiologist for more data. Heading to Cargo Bay One as ordered.

log ends.....

The crew move to the the cryo-suspension pods in cargo bay one.

About 30 minutes after the last pod is sealed and operating, the bow of the ion storm hits the ship, crippling communications.  With the course expertly plotted by Hilander72, the NiteShire will be out of the Ion Storm in approximately 60 hours.

A few days after that, residual ion radiation will fall to safe levels.

The Hade9001 closes down as much of the ship's peripheral functions as it can to husband the resources necessary to ensure the crews' survival but...

The alien approaches!

The first death will be in about 3½ hours, at noon GMT.

Time passes...  cue picture of autumn leaves being blown in the wind...  waves crashing onto the beach...  Hold on.  That's not right.  Your holosuite is down thanks to the ion storm!  ;D

Cryo-storage pod 1 opens, and after a few moments, a groggy figure emerges.

Hade9001:  Captain Niteshdw.  Welcome back.  Regrettably, you have been in cryo-storage longer than I anticipated.  The ion storm caused more damage than was forecast.  It is 13 days since the crew entered storage.

I will be able to provide a more thorough report later, when I try to re-intiailise internal and external sensors, and their data storage bays.  I can confirm that communications is still down.  We have impulse power only, and no life support on deck 3.  Emergency lighting only is available on decks 2 and 4.  All food replicators are malfunctioning, but we have sufficient vacuum packed fresh food to last the crew 18 days.

I recommend the crew do a visual inspection both inside and outside the ship for damage the sensors may not identify.

One final problem.

Cryo-storage pod 10 has failed.  It did so during a three hour period where I lost all shipboard surveillance capabilities.

Captain Niteshdw moves down the line of cryo-storage pods...

2 contains TetsuoShima...

3 contains Neomaster

4's inhabitant is Bones2097

5 is occupied by Amnot Borg

6 contains Megalith

7 contains Kyran

8 is occupied by TFMF

9 has Hilander72 lying within...

and...

in 10, a hideous grin on his face, as if he awoke during cryo-suspension in great pain...  is RED SHIRT.  We can call him/her GorunNova, or QueenSPOCK if we like.  ;)  Yes, I'm being nice.  For now.

Arktis, inhabits pod 11.

One of the crew is dead.  What a great tragedy for the ESS NiteShire.

Captain:  It is now up to you to revive some or all of the crew.

Crew:  Feel free to ask the Hade9001 questions, as systems come back on line.  It's the only way you'll get clues.  Unfortunately, with the systems failures, replies may not be rapid or timely.  The Hade9001 us very busy.

BTW.

Some questions I'll answer publicly.  Some by PM.  It depends on the question.  If I answer by PM, you may not post my reply as a quote, etc to try and authenticate it.  You may, of course tell the rest of the crew in your own words that "...".  It's up to you personally to convince them.  PMs will tend to be replies to things only you have seen/think you've seen.

Over to you.  But unless you stop it, the alien you do not know even exists yet, will strike again.

Captains Log, Stardate 51097.2:

I have awoken 13 days after the ion storm hit the ESS NiteShire. The ship has taken heavy damage, and we have lost a crew member. Let the record show that QueenSPOCK died while in performance of his duties.

I have awoken my first officer and chief engineer in order to develop a plan to bring the ship back into working order, and discover the cause of our friend's death.

Captains Log:

I have awoken 13 days after the ion storm hit the ESS NiteShire.  The ship has taken heavy damage, and we have lost a crew member.  Let the record show that QueenSPOCK died while in performance of his duties.

I have awoken my first officer and chief engineer in order to develop a plan to bring the ship back into working order, and discover the cause of our friend's death.

QUEENSPOCK is a her

:P

After having gotten dressed, I do a quick visual inspection of pod 10. I find: the seal has been broken and there are traces of dried blood inside the pod. I decide not to inspect further and wait for the inspection of the body by our ships doctor, when he's back with us. I can allways look at the pod defect afterwards, it isn't going anywhere and there are more urgent matters at hand.

I suit up for a visual inspection of the exterior of the ship.

What stardate is it?

Yeah.  I was expecting a stardate on the first "Captain's Log".  ;D

TetsuoShima.

Apart from the loss of lots of the more delicate instruments attached to the NiteShire's exterior (you estimate external sensors will take a long time to fix), there is a hole in the hull which appears to lead from the outside to the interior of the ship - corresponding with deck 3.  Almost looks like a micro-meteorite impact, but a bit too big.