Stargate SG-1 10x20 [Unending]

Tablet

Another thing I found interesting about this episode is that Daniel and Vala ended up being a couple for 40 years and didn't have any kids... Personally, I think it would have been cool if they had had a kid. If so, the kid (grown-up, of course) could have performed T's job. Thus, Landry and SG-1 (including Teal'c) would have been restored to their previous state, and we would have a brand new character.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I found interesting about this episode is that Daniel and Vala ended up being a couple for 40 years and didn't have any kids... Personally, I think it would have been cool if they had had a kid. If so, the kid (grown-up, of course) could have performed T's job. Thus, Landry and SG-1 (including Teal'c) would have been restored to their previous state, and we would have a brand new character.

That would have been an awesome way to add a new character. Could even work both ways (ie loosing one). Sadly the writers haven't managed to even come close to anything new and mind-blowing in the past years...

That would have been a fantastic idea, but given that the series was cancelled last minute and only had a single episode in which to end the series, the kid would have been seriously underdeveloped as a character. It's probably good that they didn't go that route if they didn't have the time to make the story a two-parter at least.

A kid would actually have worked pretty well, then they'd have been the logical choice to stand outside of time - as otherwise they'd... y'know, die or cease to exist... I guess they had a lot of birth control with them.

I don't think the kid would really have mattered... ah well.

I had a weird thought.

Since they were in that timefield or whatever it's called. It shouldn't be to hard for them to make all repairs possible, get the shields back up to 100%, then maneuver the ship in such a way inside the field, that once the field stops, that first blast misses target, by the time the second shot can reach them, they can have their shields back up, and with full shields and repairs, they should have had no trouble eliminating that last ori ship.

That's the trouble with screwing with time, so much becomes possible then, that once you start to think about it, it messes up the entire episode...

yes, hence my fix: maneuver the ship so the first blast would miss them, they have all the time in the world to turn the ship in such a manner that the blast misses. Shouldn't be too hard. :)

That's assuming there's any room within the bubble to navigate. The bubble may actually only be a few millimeters beyond the hull of the ship.

I have no idea, but I just realised something else:

A problem with navigation while in such a field is, you cannot actually move the bubble itself faster then the surrounding time (or else you can easily create a time paradox). But since the bubble is connected to the ship, the ship itself cannot move faster than the bubble, unless they are decoupled first, which I have no idea if that is possible. In any case, it's just plain weird that people inside the ship can move, but the ship itself cannot, at least, not really compared to the people inside.

So, depending on the shape of the bubble, some rotation may actally be possible but forward or lateral movement is definately out of the question. So moving the ship to avoid the first blast is unlikely to be possible, then again it is scifi, so it could just as wel have been possible. hee, scifi is great, there's an easy answer for everything (if you want there to be one). :D

I've got to agree with most of the previous sentiment. This wasn't the best way to end the series; so much more could have been done and should have been done. As a standalone episode it was good, but it was hard to have as the series finale. I hope the movies are done well, and released in high-def (blu-ray).

I really didn't like the cheap way they got rid of the Asgard and it was really only Daniel that seemed to be THAT bothered about tossing away ALL the Asgard knowledge.

It was about time the SGC actually got a ship with some guns though but I don't really see why the Asgard didn't just hand them a bunch of ships - it's not as if they'd have any use for them when they were gone... also, we know that the first encounter with the Ori - there was one Asgard vessel... by all accounts, it should have been able to school the Ori vessel (barring a very considerable amount of technical progress in the year between contact and the upgrading of the Odyssey). Anyway, it just seems a little silly that they seemed so uninterested in altering the status quo.

And why did they deny the Asgard ascension? That seemed a bit silly - or was it to simply facilitate the greater motivation to keep the Asgard computer? In any event, I was not best pleased with the mass suicide of the Asgard - if only because a race that fought so hard against the Replicators hardly seems like the kind of race that would go "oh... well, I guess we should just blow ourselves up now."

Also - who wants to bet that Teal'c's age/remembering of the events in the time dilation field are never mentioned again?

I really didn't like the cheap way they got rid of the Asgard and it was really only Daniel that seemed to be THAT bothered about tossing away ALL the Asgard knowledge.

Yes, i mean if America were to suddenly blow up, would the UK just go "Oh...so when does Doctor Who start?". Ok, perhaps that's a bad example, but this is clearly somthing that will need to be explored more in the movie if they expect to get away with killing off the Asgard.

Also - i really doubt we've seen the last of the Asgard. The planet we saw blow up, may have only been an outpost for them. I'd like to think there's more out there that didn't commit suicide.

Also - who wants to bet that Teal'c's age/remembering of the events in the time dilation field are never mentioned again?

My guess would be that it gets mentioned once or twice, but quietly burried.

Watched it, didn't like it as a season finale mainly because it was business as usual at the end (and the cliche's, why so many cliche's?).

Didn't Carter also mention that if someone could travel before the field was created that it would create a paradox AND that Teal'c managed to return to a point before the field was established and change history ie. creating a paradox?

I won't be sorry to see this go. I said my goodbye one lonely night two years ago when I saw Moebius Part 2. Goa'uld defeated, Ja'ffa all free, Replicators wiped out (okay, just in this Galaxy but the setup was there for their total elimination) and Daniel became partly aware of Ancient Knowledge...

... oh and they got a bonus ZPM for Atlantis. Job done and done.

Season 9 and 10 ruined a good closer for the series for the sake of a few more paychecks.

Threads - was it Threads? - was the REAL final episode. Moebius was clearly the writers going "oops - we kind of tied everything up last episode. Time for one from the Trek play book- time travel!" And then they went on for two more seasons, limping along... it wasn't the kind of change in direction that SG-1 was designed to accommodate and for me, it always showed.

I suppose the only good thing you can say about season 9 and 10 is that - at least - we were spared the agony of having Richard Dean Anderson... lingering. To be honest, I know a lot of people LOVED him and think he made the show but it became increasingly evident as the years went on that the indifference of his character and the indifference of the actor were ever more interchangeable. RDA clearly wasn't even embarrassed by this because of the casual reference to it in 200 (someone phoning in their performance) and while I've made my discontent with hammering Chritters into the lead role clear, at least he wasn't checking his watch every 30 seconds (metaphorically).

It's also rather clumsy that they couldn't do anything the the Jaffa... I mean, we had them set up the free Jaffa nation and then that went all corrupt and then they kind of collapsed and they forgot about it.

As to the Asgard - I suppose it could all have been a bit of a practical joke (and I suppose it's the kind of thing that even if not intended could be retconned any time) but as far as I'm aware, they only had the one planet post-Replicator war... this is the world that is attacked by the Replicators and where RepliCarter is "born"... start of season 8? Anyway, Thor implies that it's where they're going to rebuild their civilisation... to be honest, unless you've got something analogous to replicators or Standard Template Constructs, you're not going to be running around colonising the galaxy or blowing up planets for no reason.

Anyway, I agree with you Vyperion - Sci-Fi clearly just wanted to keep hold of one of its ratings winners... Shame they didn't lavish such love on Farscape.