"Painting" a circuit... need knowledgable assistance

Arktis

So I need to solder to a couple circuits, but they look copper and don't stick to my solder... I was told I could use something called a "circuit repair pen" which basically paints on a bit of conductive metallic stuff which I can then solder to.  I called all around and nobody had anything like it.

I was told I might be able to buy a small kit for fixing the rear window heating wires on a car because it basically does the exact same thing; allows you to paint on a conductive metal to fix broken areas of the heat circuits that go through your back window.

So, I went to NAPA auto parts and they had one, however the guy at the store told me that it had some kinda conductive gold stuff and so I am not sure if it is usable for my purposes or not.

It seems like it should be, but I just don't know...

It looks like this is what you're looking for:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/spec_prep/Circuitworks-MicroTip-Conductive-Silver-Pen.shtml

Usually they use 'silver' for it, but 'gold' should also work, but can't be 100% sure, since i never used one with 'gold' before.

Strange that you couldn't find it anywhere, these things should be quite common in an electronics shop.

If you're soldering on it, don't expect it to take rough handling btw.

Yeah, NOBODY had it.  I called all around, in two cities...  :'(

This is what I have, btw: http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/auto_glass_maintenance_repair/Permatex_Quick_Grid_Rear_Window_Defogger_Repair_Kit.htm

You can't tell from the picture, but it's just a little brush with a stencil and some gunk  to dip and paint on.  I found a site with an article that references the exact same product and recommends it for fixing the contacts for buttons on remote controls... not exactly helpful to me.  :D

Edit: According to the Material Safety Data Sheet pdf (linked to on that page), it uses silver!  So I guess the guy at the shop was wrong... 

yeah if the solder don't stick to the copper board it means the insulation is still there...

scrape it off with a watch maker screw driver & attempt to solder it again...

if not solder your components in then paint a conductive line... silver/gold either should work..

make sure to key (scratch) the bit you want the joints to be...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

lol i swear i posted on this thread about painting the surface needing soldering with a liquid flux and that from what you seem to be saying you don't need to solder but merely to repair a broken track which indeed can be done using a conductive paint which is available in a pen format.

lol goddam gremlins. I remember over 10 years ago i got a mail about stupid customer complaints to do with computers. this lady wanted a refund because a pipe had burst in her computer (pipeline burst technology lol) maybe a similar burst has wet the nice gremlin and created lots of nasty ones ;))...

so arktis did you try the conductive paint?