S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Druj

Info about this sci-fi shooter: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/index.html?q=S.T.A.L.K.E.R

And...I guess there might be some spoilers ahead. If you're really anal about the sort of thing.

So...have any of you tried it yet?

I've played it for a couple of hours and I still haven't quite made up my mind about wether I like it or not. The premise is cool and all the details are cool. I mean, old soviet pistols that jam occasionally, packs of mutated dogs roaming around, vodka, psionic mutants skulking in dark industrial ruins and a refreshing amount of open-endedness (endedness? is that a real word?) for a FPS.

But it does have a few negative aspects. For one, it's hard as hell. I'm playing at difficulty "normal" and I'm getting my ass kicked by just about every enemy I meet. The weapons in the early part of the game are so inaccurate that you have to run up to the enemies and poke the gun in their face to be able to hit them. And one wrong step and some random radioactive anomaly drains half of your life (and naturally, this happens just as you're involved in a desperate firefight with 4 bandits).

Also, the information supplied in the game is minimal. I realize they wanted to create a "free" game where you can roam about pretty much as you please, but does that mean that you have to figure out EVERYTHING by yourself? I'm not even sure why I am doing something half of the time.

Oh well, I'm going to play it some more. Maybe I'll get a better hang of it as I progress through the game. :)

Wow, so this game finally came out? I remember reading about this YEARS ago. Like 2003? Amazed it finally came out.

Sounds like a cool game - is there some level of rpgitude in there? As in, weapons can be upgraded and skills improved? Or is it simply a case of getting better guns?

If it's the former, then it'll definitely improve as the game moves along. In Deus Ex, the first mission was almost certainly the hardest because you had rubbish weapons, no augs, no skills... I suppose if it's the latter, then you just have to put the time into slogging up the weapons ladder.

Wow, so this game finally came out? I remember reading about this YEARS ago. Like 2003? Amazed it finally came out.

Sounds like a cool game - is there some level of rpgitude in there? As in, weapons can be upgraded and skills improved? Or is it simply a case of getting better guns?

If it's the former, then it'll definitely improve as the game moves along. In Deus Ex, the first mission was almost certainly the hardest because you had rubbish weapons, no augs, no skills... I suppose if it's the latter, then you just have to put the time into slogging up the weapons ladder.

There is some definite rpg elements to the game. You have an inventory where you can collect junk that you find and you have to eat every day, or else you start to weaken. One thing that bugs me though is that you can carry so little stuff. You have to have medikits, bandages, anti rad-syringes, food and not to mention weapons and ammo. And this starts to weigh you down really fast.

You can modify weapons to some degree. You can for example add a scope to certain rifles and add a laser sight to some other weapon, etc.

The biggest rpg element is that it's a pretty free game. You roam about on the map pretty much as you please. Also, you get tasks ("quests") that you can do in whatever order you please.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...