Stargate SG1 Series

Rara Avis

This is probably old hat to you all but man what a series! I never watched it when it was on TV (don't know what I was thinking) so I decided to start by buying season 1. I'm up to season 5 now. In fact I just watched Threshold (s5-e2) and think it was one of the great ones for two main reasons. One it cleared something up that has been bothering me since I first watched the pilot episode. Namely, how fast Teal'c switched sides. Threshold certainly went more into depth in flashbacks nicely filling in the blanks. I was moved by Christopher Judge's performance as well as his friendship with his mentor Bra'tac (also told in flashbacks).

Fantastic series! I'm as happy as a pig in poop!

sgc_avatar_1.gif.b8ba26307e465e25444c969e70752ced.gif

Indeed, he seemed to switch quickly, but i suppose he just snapped as he began to realise his gods were wrong.

Word of warning: although i don´t agree with this opinion, i will say that some people found season 9 and 10 rather poor compared to previous seasons.

I just loved the whole show though :)

I thought Teal'c had just snapped as well (before I saw Threshold s5e2) but it didn't seem to be in his character. That's what really had me thinking. Threshold showed him in his early years up to becoming the First Prime of Apophis (replacing Bra'tac). Teal'c frowned on the practice of killing innocents and saved a fellow warrior destined to be killed by Apophis. When he saw that Apophis did not detect his disloyalty, he knew it was time to act. Hence, his switching of sides in the Stargate SG1 pilot.

Regarding seasons 9 and 10, I've only seen a few episodes from those seasons (I didn't want to get into the later seasons, wanted to start at the beginning) but they don't compare to the early ones I've seen so far. I wouldn't call them crummy or anything though. More like they have a slightly different feel to them.

rara_avis_1.gif.07f1933a601fcc6973b6eec5ea05fae1.gif

• 1 month later...

Well I'm finally into season 9 and I've been pleasantly surprised. The "new", added cast members are good and The Ori should prove to be worthy opponents. Jack pops in from time to time (nice to see his face). I do believe I've enjoyed this series more than even Star Trek (GASP!). Nothing beats traveling by wormhole!

sgc_avatar_1.gif.298dda6ed3d6a3ec9c823e6f6483cf84.gif

• 2 months later...

I think Stargate is a show that really started with its A-game and then slowly but surely ran itself into the ground - which is a contrast to Star Trek, where they usually need at least two seasons to stop sucking like a hard vacuum.

I think the show went through... 5 stages. MGM years, post MGM, The Jonas Years, End of The Gould, The New Class...

The MGM years - because they all start with the roaring lion! Were easily the best, the show was new and interesting... budgets were higher and Daniel actually had to translate thing.

Post MGM - Notable drop in budget, everyone speaks English, no more stupid helmets... the show is less epic but still fun.

The Jonas Years - As you'd expect, having a main cast member drop out of the show and then having someone entirely new try and replace him leads a show that's possibly lacking.

End Of The Gould - Probably most notable for the fact that the point at which O'Neill's indifference ends and RDA's begins becomes almost impossible to tell... even before he starts guest starring, it's a real fly in the ointment. Of course, on the plus side - it was a long time coming, so it's not like Daniel who just died.

The New Class - My feelings on this have been made quite clear... they should have either called it a day after the Replicators, Anubis AND the Gou'auld all got schooled or they should have just started a new Stargate show... that's how different the dynamic of season 9 and 10 is. If you watched an episode of season 9 or 10 and compared it to something from season 1 or 2... they're practically different shows anyway.

More analysis after I've had my curry.

• 1 month later...
The New Class - My feelings on this have been made quite clear... they should have either called it a day after the Replicators, Anubis AND the Gou'auld all got schooled or they should have just started a new Stargate show... that's how different the dynamic of season 9 and 10 is. If you watched an episode of season 9 or 10 and compared it to something from season 1 or 2... they're practically different shows anyway.

More analysis after I've had my curry.

I'd agree with that except if a new show was anything like the cast-killer Atlantis I wouldn't be watching that either.

Season 9 just introduced a pointless devastation of the respect for the free Jaffa nation by having them become antagonists. It was completely unnecessary. Then there was Ba'al constantly turning up like a bad smell (shoot him in the face for crying out loud) and the Ori overhanging... there were too many enemies and not enough allies; a return to how it all started with Earth vs. the universe.

The worse part was Sci-Fi kept this going and cancelled Farscape which jaded me somewhat (even though they eventually brought it back).

• 2 weeks later...

I hardly think you can call Peacekeeper Wars bringing back, it was the last of Farscape's death throes, nothing more.

Yeah, season 9 was pretty unfair to the Jaffa. They spend 8 years trying to win their independence and then turn out to be a bunch of douche bags who have a hissy fit ever time the SGC talks to them, get controlled and manipulated at pretty much every turn and eventually just kind of go on to do their own thing. Actually, was their any real resolution to the "Jaffa nation"? I don't really recall much after the Dakara superweapon got toasted.

Baal was a pain, wasn't he? I'm sure the writers got it into their heads he was a popular Gouald and decided to Yu with him... or something like that.

It was a bit crowded in terms of villains, wasn't it? Not only did we have the Ori, we had the Jaffa being irritable, Baal mincing about and of course, the Lucian Alliance. Which is pretty stupid given the fact the Ori were an entirely new threat, they could really have done with giving them more time and such. Although, it didn't really seem as if they had much to put into them... false gods... who ARE actually GODS! But... not.

The real idiocy of cancelling Farscape is that it was the highest rated show on Sci-Fi... then they started dicking around with the format and end up cancelling it simply because it cost too much money... it was like the original BSG all over again, really...