Britain 'failing' net speed test

Ulysses

Found a interesting article on the bbc website in regards to failing internet speed tests, alot of Broadband providers offering "upto 8mb" service but selling them as being 8mb, I had this with Bulldog Communications over a year ago who mis-sold there service as being 8mb but only getting aroun 1.8mb.

I managed to cancel my Broadband with them even though I was in contract with Bulldog down to the fact I was miss sold the product and did not do as it said on the tin!

Now Which? has called on regulator Ofcom and Trading Standards to launch a fresh investigation into UK broadband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6924866.stm

Anyone else had this problem?

hahaha

We pay for 8 meg broadband, we get around 0.8 meg.

hahaha?

----------

We had the same problem here a few years ago...

Now the ISPs are adding almost unreadable fine prints on the commercials. Imagine reading this on a TV commercial from 3 meters away within 2 secs...

If they make promises allways make them write it down in contract or else it doesn't mean a thing. If they refuse to do so, or even refuse to do so with the figure split in half, you know they're not telling the truth. I've never met anyone who was willing to write down his promise on a purchase like that in contract though, all a bunch of liars. One thing they may agree on though, is give you a temporary contract (for say 1 month) and if you aren't happy they pay back the intallation costs, depends on local market competition though. DSL lines are nototiously slow on connections longer than 4km, cable is notoriously slow in areas where there are many people are connected to the same line. The updated dsl tech (vdsl/vdsl2/adsl2/hdsl) are known to suffer this bad range characteristic even more, though at short range they are a lot faster. Fiber cable is the way to go!!

I read that and laughed... thanks Which? magazine... which should be called "stating the bleedin' obvious" magazine.

It's hardly the first time they've done it and I doubt it will be the last - if you needed the magazine or article to tell you that advertised speeds are theoretical maximums that the majority of users won't even see half of, well... you probably don't need that speed anyway. My connection got upgraded (without my knowing) to 8mbps... and I've yet to notice any difference from 2mbps.

I read that and laughed... thanks Which? magazine... which should be called "stating the bleedin' obvious" magazine.

It's hardly the first time they've done it and I doubt it will be the last - if you needed the magazine or article to tell you that advertised speeds are theoretical maximums that the majority of users won't even see half of, well... you probably don't need that speed anyway. My connection got upgraded (without my knowing) to 8mbps... and I've yet to notice any difference from 2mbps.

Well to be honest most people dont bother buying magazines to read what the speeds are lol...but saying that internet providers really should give "realistic" speeds not theoretical max speeds....its like buying a car and the garage saying "oh theoretically you should be able to do 200mph in this 20 year old ford feista" which aint gonna happen!

The main point is that theses internet providers are mis-leading people, ok we may know this aint gonna happen but for someone that uses the internet whos new or not so knowledgable then it can be a not so obvious.

It maybe "bleedin' obvious" to you and us on this forum but for others who are less technical they aint, and it does not matter if you need it or not if your paying for a service you expect to get it, if you was to buy something else and it only did 25% of what it says on the tin you wouldnt be to happy.

The question we should ask ourselves is, should it be legal that ISPs can charge the same price to all customers, despite the fact only a few of them reach advertised speeds.

Now that is a very good point!! lucky I get a not to bad speed with BT

The big problem is that the majority of the UK still uses copper wire which creates bottle necks that apparently would be too much hassle to upgrade to fibre. Remember how everyone hated diamond cable? Government is very keen to zap all our brains with Wi-Fi1

There are many reasons why your broadband is slow another is that ISP's become greedy and overload the hardware with far too many users.

Ntl pretty much ran themselves under by billions digging up all the streets so I imagine virgin will take years to make this back up so I wouldn't expect existing DSL lines to get upgraded any time soon.

I think I'm on the 20mbit/s connection and its petty much reached that a couple of times -at night.

So I'm not complaining. It is overly theoretical, its like the stated range of wifi, two hundred metres, theoretically, in plain light of sight. Problem is a lot of people genuinely believe all these things to be true. Especially the sort of fools I imagine probably work in PC world.

The UK government sees the answer as Wi-Fi. Sadlly no one can yet prove the damage this does to humans in the UK. I know I wouldnt like to live in a Wi-Fi hotpspot if I had children. We are being used by the government as guinea pigs. The sad thing is that guidelines that actually measure Wi-Fi activity only use thermal levels...........this means that the signals literally have to increase the temperature of your organs before they are considered dangerous. Scientists in both the US and Europe declare the UK Government experts as insane to use this scale! Wi-Fi does cause damage to DNA and induce cancer cells according to their research.

I`m on BT myself. I remember one day we had a call from a nice lady in India who asked if I wanted to upgrade from 2MB to 8MB. Like a puppy at meal times with my tongue hung out......I said yeah. However in recent months Ive noticed my connection has been throttled back down to 2 MB! I`m on the basic package.

As for PC world.........they werent interested in employing me not even with a science degree, City and Guilds ICT parctioners diploma and A+ Certified Professional. They must have some very well educated staff these days.

Wifi is not a option really as its a poor subsitute !!

Ive used a wireless conection for gaming and is no-where near as good as having a direct connection!

The only option really is for the lines to be upgraded regardless if companies like BT have to spend the money in upgrading the lines and exchanges.

My hotel in Spain had WiFi enabled, so that anyone in the hotel could access the internet. It was quite a good connection, didn't disconnect.

Then again, i was using a PSP.... ::)

lol accessing the internet on a psp is a nightmare lol well browsing is anyway lol