What graphics card for medal of honor Airbourne Assult

Ulysses

TetsuoShima dear boy, the reason why I know nothing of the 8800 GT is because this card is not sold by many of UK's leading hardware retailers. e.g. ebuyer, yoyotech. I am only out of date as far as what is actually being sold.

I did manage to find the NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT OC for sale at scan its seamed a little expensive at £181.98 Inc VAT. Good luck if you can pick it up for 250 Dollars.

As for the dates of OEM's, thats the official page from MS its also the date printed in PC magazines. I dont think I could change your mind if I posted actual copies of the articles out of those magazines.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

REMEMER - Many people have purchased the above card with out upgrading their PSU and are running into problems.

Its not about the number of Watts your PSU can kick out its how many Amps on the 12 Volt rail you need. You need a minimum of 30A on a single 12V rail or 22A per rail on a dual rail PSU.

I really hate to do this all the time, but:

12*30 = 360W

athlon x2 -> 89W -> real life <80W

X1950pro -> 110W -> real life <80W

HDD 15W max

total: 175W, but this includes 5V and 3.3V lines, so 12V would be (estimated) < 160W

Say you have a whole bunch more stuff that requires a lot of 12V power (unlikely for most people) and let's put it at 200W.

200/12 < 17A

Say you don't want to fully tax your psu on hardware full load and take 30% reserve on max load -> 22A total over all possible lines at full load.

I have an X1950PRO factory OC'ed by 10% (from HIS) running on a 2x16A with an intel E6420 an it works just fine, I've got plenty of juice left too (tested at full load, running 3d for 24 hours straight without any probs).

So, if you've got a decent quality psu, you really don't need that much. Of course, if you're running some low cost £15 550W PSU, chances are it may indeed fail. :D

Also, to be ATX compliant, a PSU may never exceed 20A on a single line. This is part of the ATX 2.x spec, in theory, any PSU that exceeds 20A on a single line cannot recieve an ATX certificate, there's just two things wrong with that:

1. low cost psu makers usually don't even bother getting atx certificates and just say they are this or that.

2. in practice this specific part of the ATX spec is no longer tested for (even though it's still part of the spec), so even PSU's that exceed this value, will still get their certificate. As a result, a lot of PSU makers are now releasing PSU's that indeed not stick to this part of the spec anymore. I was originally put in place for safety reasons only and is no longer tested for because of the release of high power cpu's and gpu's.

Some of the new PSU's from Corsair (corsair doesn't build it's own psu's btw, they buy them from the big psu manufacterers who build them according to their own designs adjusted with Corsair requests) are examples of this, they no longer have split rails at all (well in reality very few psu had a split 12v line internally, even before this, it was just split externally) and can give up to 60A on a single line (the top model 750W rated), imagine touching that when it's live... :o

Only you know what case your PC is housed in. If your case is cheapo, lacks adequate ventilation, air circulation and cooling, it is very possible your new card could turn you case into a little cooker!

As for you TetsuoShima, wish you would put as much effort into answering my tech questions!

Only you know what case your PC is housed in. If your case is cheapo, lacks adequate ventilation, air circulation and cooling, it is very possible your new card could turn you case into a little cooker!

As for you TetsuoShima, wish you would put as much effort into answering my tech questions!

Well checked everything was ok, I have a 550w PSU so that wont be a problem and the case is deffo not a cheapo...its a coolmaster wave

• 1 month later...

wow, I just checked the latest price indexes and I nearly dropped of my chair.

The new best bargain card is again ATI, this time, it's:

HD3850

for only €150 this baby is all yours. It's about twice as fast as the x1950pro on some things and over 40% faster on just about everything.

The card was announced a few weeks ago, but set at an advised sales price of €180, most retailers now have it stocked for €150 though and if you look very good and don't mind the extra trouble to save a few quid, you can even find it for €140.

The card (the regular vanilla flavour) is extremely silent, but can get a bit hot, not any hotter that the nVidia 8800gt though, appearently this latest batch of 65/55 nm cards is allowed to reach very high temps.

It's very power efficient, as it uses only slightly more energy than the x1950pro, but gives a lot more in return.

HIS Digital (a brand famous for it's customised ATI cards) has already released their updated version of the HD3850, it's a bit more expensive, but it's also a bit faster, even more quiet and quite a bit cooler, while not using more energy.

If you need a new graphics card at this time and want the most bang for buck, the HD3850 is the card to buy!!

lol just goes to show that there is never a good time to buy a GFX card lol...

Anyway when I did receive my X1950pro the other week the level of increased detail on CoD 4 was easy to see against my old X800GTO, so I am happy with what i bought :)

I wish I could make money like you Kyran to be able to afford the  latest hardware. All the businesses in my city are using PII and PIII's and even when there is a problem with them the management expect the staff to continue using the machine. This makes it impossible for an ICT technician to make any money.

:o

Pii and piii???

You live in a pocket of stoneage era UK? :cyclops:

The slowest pc's in businesses I find around here are p4's (those good ol' Willamette's, yuck, they even s#cked way back then, let alone now), very rarely a piii, usually of the 1GHz kind, slower is really archaic. What you need is some good marketing campaign: "Increase your business productiveness by 50%! Migrate to Core 2 Duo now and get £25 return on your old pc" After that you charge all components a bit more to get that £25 back. :D

As for the 8800GTX, that card was great super fantastic. It's over 1 year old and it's still the 2nd fastest card around (wether or not the 8800gts 512mb is faster or not is discutable). Everybody who paid $450 for that card last year in november sure got a lot of bang for their buck. That's really rare you can keep a high end graphics card for that long and still be high end...

Worse than a stone age pocket......a rural back water.......a lot like the hill billy country in the US......ha ha ha

The other problem is for a long time one company had a monopoly over the city. They gained a reputation for overhcharging. 12 years ago they were charging 45 pounds per hour. As a result most managers of local businesses who dont understand ICT remember the price this company used to charge and as a result prefer to let their PC's rot rather than spend the money. Even if the PC's no longer power up they just let them sit on the desk as some kind of desk ornament.........I`m being serious!

The companies that do take their ICT seriously use DELL machines all of which are under on site warranty. They will never need a technician.

Well, there are a couple of old ways to try to get a foot in the door.

Especially in a rural area where the personal touch and trust matter.

1) Print your own ads/fliers and distribute them.

a) in person to businesses that use more than 2 PCs.

b) on common area poster boards (shops, postal office?) so people see them.

That catches business and home owners attention.

2) Talk about the lower fees you can offer.

a) BOLD type the low rates top/bottom of your fliers.

b) Mention a free or reduced first checkup or software.

Give them a reason to try you out and get that first call. If you knock on some doors or get some calls that don't pay out. You lose what? Time? Energy? Petrol money. At least they might mention you to someone else if you seem like you know the technology. Gotta get them to trust you. If you get business or family contracts, you might have work for years. 3 month checkups/cleanings/maintenance. Annual upgrade checks. Tech support calls.