Crysis

Tenebrae

Regardless, if its COD4, Halo 3 or Crysis....the format is always the same walk around shoot, walk around shoot.

Perhaps one day we will advance beyond this........and this format will die a death just as side scrolling beat-em-ups did in the last century. They are all very linear no matter how much scenery you can destroy or how pretty they look.

Games designers need to think of more inventive styles of game play. Thats why everyone loves WII, it a whole new way in which a player can interact with an environement. Ive been playing this format since the 286 came out with Wolfenstien............its all becoming rather samey.

Regardless, if its COD4, Halo 3 or Crysis....the format is always the same walk around shoot, walk around shoot.

Perhaps one day we will advance beyond this........and this format will die a death just as side scrolling beat-em-ups did in the last century. They are all very linear no matter how much scenery you can destroy or how pretty they look.

Games designers need to think of more inventive styles of game play. Thats why everyone loves WII, it a whole new way in which a player can interact with an environement. Ive been playing this format since the 286 came out with Wolfenstien............its all becoming rather samey.

I would disagree with it being all samey, look at CoD4 which it all the rage at the moment online, with its air strikes, helicopter gunships, claymore mines, shooting through walls etc etc.

End of the day if there is a market for games like this then they will make em!

I think we shall agree to disagree....COD4 just hasnt delivered in my opinion. Sorry but if you hadnt included COD4 in your sentance I would of thought you were talking about BF2 which was made 3 years ago.

The day someone invents a virtual reality light weight head set complete with plastic shooter and online play will be the day this genre is re-invented. Its been tried I know but there wasnt the technology back then.

I'm fairly sure if you didn't have to run around and shoot stuff, it couldn't be called an FPS. I'm not sure how long FPS will maintain their popularity but I think it's fair to say they aren't going anywhere soon. I mean, their popularity massive domination of the PC began with Doom and it's fair to say they've kept a vice like grip on sales for almost that same period.

I think the linear nature of the games is as much about practicality of play as it is about ease of design. The floaty alien town was really irritating when it wasn't obvious where to go... and it makes for a bad gaming experience. Unless you mean non-linear objectives... that's probably more ease of progression... stories tend to do better in a straight line.

2D fighting games such as Street Fighter were huge at the time, then they lost all popularity when 3D fighting games came out and now no one has any time for those.

It begs the question what will Halo 8 actually be like......would you be happy if there were only more scenery interactivity and better graphics......would you buy into that 10 years from now?

As someone who has been gaming since 1986 I`m demanding more from the games developers. Walk along shoot, walk along shoot.

First of all CoD series plays completely different to the BF series, Cod is about running around kill people, the BF series is more about running around and jumping in tanks, jeeps, airplanes, tanks, ships and Helicopters and has a complete different felling to it.

The future to games like this is not as single play games but actually online which makes the game completely different and more interesting

Uh... I'm not really sure you can say that "no one" has time for 3D beat 'em ups... sure, it's not quite the halcyon of MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT and Street Fighter 2 (and it's dozens of very slightly different iterations) but they're hardly dead as a genre...

But that's not really the point... I would have to say that prettier graphics have made it easier for developers to avoid any innovation.

As to single player vs. multiplayer... I think single players are destined to be more like interactive stories when it comes to single players and multiplayer games will probably have to evolve beyond the grind, grind, grind of MMORPG.