Startrek.com - staff fired

TFMF

This is rather shocking, and really unfair:

Sadly, we must report that CBS Interactive organization is being restructured, and the production team that brings you the STARTREK.COM site has been eliminated. Effective immediately.

We don't know the ultimate fate of this site, which has served millions of Star Trek fans for the last thirteen years.

If you have comments, please send them to editor @ startrek.com - we hope someone at CBS will read them.

Thank you for your loyal fandom over the years. It has been a pleasure to serve you.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/2316633.html

It's unlikely they'd sell it, I imagine... well, except for crazy money.

If I know my corporate monoliths, it means that they're going to rationalise the site. Or, in English - they'll probably just have the URL redirect to some corner of an ubersite that won't receive a fraction of the attention.

What the hell exactly is going on with Star Trek? Its turning into some kind molested child! I think the person who suggested a fan uprising might be onto something.

Tenebrae I think if the site was turned into some kind of re-direct then the hosting company best hope they have some good security in place. Just like its not wise to upset a wookie its not wise to upset a geek, especially when it comes to IT.

Heh, the article has changed:

Keep the conversation going on StarTrek.com boards

CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division’s workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online.

CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site.

It has been your support and contributions to the lore of Star Trek that are what make StarTrek.com a vibrant place to be. To that end, we encourage you to keep the conversation alive and flowing using our message boards.

Jump into the conversation here!

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/2316633.html

::)

StarTrek.com Cuts Jobs

CBS Interactive has eliminated the jobs of a half-dozen full-time and part-time production staff members who worked at StarTrek.com, which has been the official Star Trek Web site for the past 13 years. The site remains active.

On Dec. 14, a large banner on the site read "FAREWELL!" and a news story said that all jobs "had been eliminated. Effective immediately," and added, "We don't know the ultimate fate of this site."

But by Dec. 17, that had been replaced by the headline "Keep the mission going on StarTrek.com boards" and a CBS Interactive official statement said the site would remain operating.

"CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online," the statement said. "CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site."

The cuts were apparently made as part of a cost-cutting and staff consolidation measure at CBS that resulted in approximately 20 people their losing jobs at CBS.com and CBSNews.com.

Marc Wade, former director of production for StarTrek.com, declined comment; calls to CBS spokesperson Dana McClintock were not returned at press time. --Ian Spelling

Sci Fi Wire