Stargate Atlantis 4x16 [Trio]

Tablet

atl41604copydf0.jpg

Discuss the latest episode of Atlantis [4x16 - Trio]

You can also vote on how good you thought the episode was however you should only vote if you have seen this episode.

This thread may contain spoilers, so don't read any further unless you have watched the episode or if you are comfortable seeing what the episode is about.

Before the episode airs or before you have seen the episode, you can also use this thread to discuss rumours, spoilers and your hopes for what this episode will be about.

[spoiler=Brief synopsis]Colonel Carter joins Dr. McKay and Dr. Keller on an off-world mission, to convince the people of a world rocked by earthquakes, to relocate. However, things take a turn for the worst when they are plunged into a sinkhole and become trapped in an old Genii mining facility.

<<< Episode 4x15 Discussion

Very unlikely setting imo, too much '(in)convenient' things going on, people coming up with crazy ideas that would never work, it only got (far) worse further in the episode (to the point where it's too rediculous to watch even).

If you can close your eyes to these 'frustrations', the rest was ok, some humor, some sillyness,... At least the last minute or so was 'normal'. All in all I'd rate it a 5 in 10.

I'd have to disagree there, TetsuoShima. This episode was another of those filler eps with little to enhance the overall Atlantis story, but it did build some of the characters, especially Carter (Though that's the point now that she's leaving) and more importantly, Keller.

I'd hardly say there were too many convienent moments in the episode. Sure, there was a tremor just as Carter was about to reach the surface, and one or two other minor things, but it was still a good ep, with some humour, and the ideas they came up with to escape made it a bit fun. Perhaps a less serious episode, but fun in any case :)

Very unlikely setting imo, too much '(in)convenient' things going on, people coming up with crazy ideas that would never work, it only got (far) worse further in the episode (to the point where it's too ridiculous to watch even).

If you can close your eyes to these 'frustrations', the rest was ok, some humor, some sillyness,... At least the last minute or so was 'normal'. All in all I'd rate it a 5 in 10.

Tetsuo is right this episode was full of "convenient" things going on, I mean 3 people fall 30 feet into the hole with just the odd cuts (surely falling 30 fall faced down would of resulted in cracked or broken rib's, it takes sam a further two attempts before breaking her leg.

Then for some reason the Genni leave a grappling hook and a large length of rope!

Where was the sci-fi in this? none at all, this story could of taken place in any show.

As TFMF points out this was another filler, shite i lost could how many "fillers" we had in this season, which has to go down as the weakest of them all.  I remember watching a documentary about this new season stating that it would build the characters, thats fine in my eyes as long as they dont loose track of the story it self, which they have done.

Im just glad that they are near the end of a very easy forgetable season, good thing is we are getting the Almighty BSG back soon (far superior show) and good old Dr who!

My vote for this is "poor" which sums up most of this season with the odd very good episode thrown in.

[br]Posted on: February 10, 2008, 01:11:32 AM

I'd have to disagree there, TetsuoShima. This episode was another of those filler eps with little to enhance the overall Atlantis story, but it did build some of the characters, especially Carter (Though that's the point now that she's leaving) and more importantly, Keller.

I'd hardly say there were too many convienent moments in the episode. Sure, there was a tremor just as Carter was about to reach the surface, and one or two other minor things, but it was still a good ep, with some humour, and the ideas they came up with to escape made it a bit fun. Perhaps a less serious episode, but fun in any case :)

can you tell us how this "enhances the Atlantis Story, you stated one or two other minor things you mean such as the long length of rope they found (hardly minor).

Every season of both Stargate and Atlantis had more than there fair share of filler eps, I can't see why you'd be complaining about Season 4 being any worse in that department. Heck, Season 3 was nothing BUT filler episodes, with exception to the premieres, finales, and mid season two-parters. The major plotline was wrapped up during episode 11 so really the only thing left to do until Weir rears her head is to continue with the Atlantis mission's original objective: exploration.

can you tell us how this "enhances the Atlantis Story' date=' you stated one or two other minor things you mean such as the long length of rope they found (hardly minor).[/quote']

Lets read my post, shall we.

"This episode was another of those filler eps with little to enhance the overall Atlantis story, but it did build some of the characters, especially Carter (Though that's the point now that she's leaving) and more importantly, Keller."

Tetsuo is right this episode was full of "convenient" things going on' date=' I mean 3 people fall 30 feet into the hole with just the odd cuts (surely falling 30 fall faced down would of resulted in cracked or broken rib's, it takes sam a further two attempts before breaking her leg.[/quote']

I believe it was 20 feet, and it didn't look all that far, to be honest.

Then for some reason the Genni leave a grappling hook and a large length of rope!

I mean, really. Leaving mining equipment in a mine! Have you ever heard of such a thing!

::)

Where was the sci-fi in this? none at all' date=' this story could of taken place in any show.[/quote']

I'm sure even Star Trek has had episodes set primarily in holodecks, with little "Sci-Fi" involved. In fact, SG-1 has had far more of these types of eps than Atlantis has. And as maybrick said, we have had a few filler episodes lately, but you can't expect continuous main story from an entire 20+ episode season. At least with episodes like these, we learnt a bit more about the characters, which I think is important when it comes to the more epic stories, and the characters are closer.

Im just glad that they are near the end of a very easy forgetable season' date=' good thing is we are getting the Almighty BSG back soon (far superior show) and good old Dr who![/quote']

Funny. I seem to remember you found this season of Atlantis one of the best yet in the earlier episode discussions. I know the past few episodes have been filler eps, but don't judge the entire show based on what we have now, and think of the show as a whole. I think it's attitudes like this which cause shows to fail.

I realise I've picked apart your post completely, but I'm just trying to defend a show I like and enjoy watching. That doesn't mean your opinions mean nothing, far from it, I enjoy these kinds of discussions. Feel free to fire back. :)

I'm sure we'll get back to the more action-orientated stories soon.

Well, I can state a few things that bothered me a lot, though I can somewhat understand if anybody not well versed in physics, logic or engineering could have missed it.

If a metal support is buckling and it starts bending/breaking whilst keeping the same pressure on it constantly, it will not bend halfway and (temporarily) regain strength. Once it starts, it's a goner, in this case even more so, since because it was only on one side and the whole structure rotates to the side that was crumbling, it means even more weight will come on those supports, increasing the rate of 'decay' even more.

One more thing that bothered me, was the 'solutions' they came up with to escape through the hole, they were utter rubbish (as far as realism is concerned).

Another thing was the dirth falling on the floor and so increasing the weight... rediculous, that dirt came from the roof of the structure, so it was already supported by it.

This episode must have been 'the least scientifically correct episode with no sci-fi elements besides the gate' in a long time, then again, my memory isn't the best so who knows... :D

lol TFMF, with reference to the fall into the hole, they actually state it must be about 30 feet in reality i would love to see someone fall that distance facing downwards and hardly injured! you state it didnt look far but i would love to see you fall that distance Id think you'd have more than afew bumps (more like cracked or broken ribs for starters).

Then there is the issue of this episode almost having nothing sci-fi about it, shit even when they got to the planet it looks like the local farmers field.

and I dont re-call myself saying this was one of the best seasons at all I think it was someone else that said that as I have been quite critical of this season, we have had 3/4 very good episodes and the rest of the season being average to poor.

It seems to me that just becuase the show has the name "stargate" in it they think that it deserves to be voted "very good" all the time.  I think either the writers are trying to hard on building the characters for the sake of the actual story.

If SG:A wants a future then they are going to have to come up with far better storylines that they have had this season or they will get the show cancelled which I dont want to see but the writing is on the wall with the poor episodes of this season.

lol TFMF' date=' with reference to the fall into the hole, they actually state it must be about 30 feet in reality i would love to see someone fall that distance facing downwards and hardly injured! you state it didnt look far but i would love to see you fall that distance Id think you'd have more than afew bumps (more like cracked or broken ribs for starters).[/quote']

Well, since I'm sad, I rewatched the episode and found the exact point where Rodney said it was 20-25 feet. Ok, that's still quite far, yes. They did fall on some dirt, which would have cushioned their fall slightly.

Then there is the issue of this episode almost having nothing sci-fi about it' date=' s##t even when they got to the planet it looks like the local farmers field.[/quote']

Well I already explained about this. All science fiction shows take a break from the Sci-Fi side at one point.

and I dont re-call myself saying this was one of the best seasons at all I think it was someone else that said that as I have been quite critical of this season' date=' we have had 3/4 very good episodes and the rest of the season being average to poor.[/quote']

No, you're right you didn't. Must have been a different show we were talking about.

It seems to me that just becuase the show has the name "stargate" in it they think that it deserves to be voted "very good" all the time.  I think either the writers are trying to hard on building the characters for the sake of the actual story.

"Stargate" in the title has nothing to do with it. Just because the episode isn't Sci-Fi enough or is a filler episode doesn't make it a bad episode. It's a matter of opinion. I happened to like this episode, so voted Very Good.

FILLER FILLER FILLER - PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH.

I'm with TetsuoShima on the realism... it's just idiotic that the shovel full of earth would make a blind bit of difference to a structure that presumably weighed probably in the hundreds of tons. At best, the three of them were half a ton. That they'd make the thing anymore unstable is mildly cretinous, verging on idiotic.

Also, they fell through the ceiling... uh, right next to them was a HUGE chasm... Not really seeing how that land stood a chance in hell of not just collapsing... especially given the tremors on the hour, every hour.

I'm sorry but you really don't drop 10m or so without injuring yourself... at least one of them should probably have had serious injuries right off the bat, not gone "Oh, I'm ok." Which made Sam breaking her leg fairly stupid...

Speaking of Sam - who else is thinking that this episode was an attempt to show she isn't a non-character? I'm also betting that the fact this was pretty much all in one set meant it was a quick shoot... I'm guessing there is a relation between these two facts.

This episode felt like it was the start of an episode but then, no one could think of what came next - so they dragged it out five minutes of material for a full episode. Pretty dull really, not very dramatic, not exactly subtle in the FACE SLAPPING OBVIOUS CHEMISTRY WITH RODDERS AND FIREFLY GIRL. It just feels like when Atlantis is good, it's good but when it isn't - it's the wrong side of mediocre.

The lack of sci-fi? Well, if any of you proles listened to the many perils of wisdom I cast before you perfunctory porcines - you'd recall that sci-fi isn't a genre, it's a setting. Which GOOD sci-fi demonstrates very well. BSG being a good example.

Filler episodes aren't necessarily bad... but what they do show is a lack of vision. Which Atlantis is really missing.

Well, since I'm sad, I rewatched the episode and found the exact point where Rodney said it was 20-25 feet. Ok, that's still quite far, yes. They did fall on some dirt, which would have cushioned their fall slightly.

naww the doctor and sam said 30 feet, but 20 feet or30 feet its dont matter your still gonna break your ribs (unless your a medical doctor and can prove other wise then Id say your loosing saying you wouldnt). and that about falling on dirt id gonna do naff all!!

"Stargate" in the title has nothing to do with it. Just because the episode isn't Sci-Fi enough or is a filler episode doesn't make it a bad episode. It's a matter of opinion. I happened to like this episode, so voted Very Good.

well if people think this and the last 3 episodes have been very good either they have watched a different episodes to me or they are easy pleased in tv programming, or simply have bad taste in good sci-fi/drama or like I said (and is more likely) vote very good just because its Stargate which is narrow minded.

On the strength of this season I would say the story writing has got worse and with a lack of imagination in the process.

BTW also when  your doing quotations from me you us the correct name lol[br]Posted on: February 10, 2008, 10:55:08 AM

FILLER FILLER FILLER - PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH.

This episode felt like it was the start of an episode but then, no one could think of what came next - so they dragged it out five minutes of material for a full episode. Pretty dull really, not very dramatic, not exactly subtle in the FACE SLAPPING OBVIOUS CHEMISTRY WITH RODDERS AND FIREFLY GIRL. It just feels like when Atlantis is good, it's good but when it isn't - it's the wrong side of mediocre.

The lack of sci-fi? Well, if any of you proles listened to the many perils of wisdom I cast before you perfunctory porcines - you'd recall that sci-fi isn't a genre, it's a setting. Which GOOD sci-fi demonstrates very well. BSG being a good example.

Filler episodes aren't necessarily bad... but what they do show is a lack of vision. Which Atlantis is really missing.

Thanks you hit the nail on the head, its this lack of vision which is worrying !!

Speaking as somebody who has fallen off a roof and survived with nary a scratch, I'd just like to say such a thing is possible. Probable that all three could fall in and not get hurt? I couldn't say. But I fell probably the equivalent of 20 feet, landed flat on my back and all that happened is I got the wind knocked out of me.

Speaking as somebody who has fallen off a roof and survived with nary a scratch, I'd just like to say such a thing is possible. Probable that all three could fall in and not get hurt? I couldn't say. But I fell probably the equivalent of 20 feet, landed flat on my back and all that happened is I got the wind knocked out of me.

I can second that, I fell from a two story building and only had the wind knocked out of me.

(But I was a lot younger, about 10, when it happened to me, so I'm not really sure how someone 30-40 would handle it.)

Finally watched it.

Well, firstly yes it did drag, theres only so much you can do with one set and i understand that. For being geniuses they don't have any common sense at all. The whole argument about falling is stupid why can't you people accept that it happened and all 3 are blatantly super heroes with the power of invincibility tut tut. But overall it wasn't a painful ep, not like some of season 3 but it wasn't too grand too.

And Ulysses do you have a medical diploma and say that in your professional opinion that they would have sustained injury? Unless you do you have no right to comment either.

Jewel Stait is REALLY annoying me as the doctor.. all she does is act like this pathetic and scared little girl, yet she's supposed to be so cream of the crop that she get's sent to another galaxy?

I'd rather have Ronan as my doc than her, he at least inspires confidence.. I'd be too afraid that Stait would get an attack of the fears mid treatment and I'd pass on from inaction.

That kind of dippy character (which strikes me as more Jewel than not) might have been ok as the young eccentric engineer in Firefly... but for a supposedly professional REAL doctor.. yeah right.. pass me the whiskey and a knife and I'll do it myself.

Jewel Stait is REALLY annoying me as the doctor.. all she does is act like this pathetic and scared little girl, yet she's supposed to be so cream of the crop that she get's sent to another galaxy?

I'm sorry, have you not met Rodney?

I also believe this was explained when she first joined Atlantis.