Stargate Atlantis 4x16 [Trio]

Tablet

Jewel Stait is REALLY annoying me as the doctor.. all she does is act like this pathetic and scared little girl, yet she's supposed to be so cream of the crop that she get's sent to another galaxy?

I'm sorry, have you not met Rodney?

I also believe this was explained when she first joined Atlantis.

Pardon?

Geniuses have at least an excuse for their character foibles. Doctors by definition have to be STABLE, levelheaded and pretty much unshakeable... Jewel Staits character is the diametric opposite of all of that.

As for it being explained... firstly, I don't remember it ever being explained, secondly, NO explaination could excuse such erratic unprofessionalism as the doctor portrays, and thirdly, even given the ubsurdities of the actual shows premise, there is no way in hell a character so unforgivably flawed and unreliable would, A) make it as a doctor in the first place.. the boards are too strict, and B ) be chosen for such a monumental assignment.

Nah.. the character only exists because they wanted to shoehorn JS into SGA, and as actors very rarely do any actual acting these days, what you see is always what you get... the same actor playing the same character (which is usually just a tweaked version of their own presence) over and over again.. the only differences being occupation, friends and locale.

Jewel Staite was brilliant in Firefly... I really liked her character and I warmed almost instantly to her, but she fits in SGA about as much as my foot into a size 1 shoe.

Jewel Stait is REALLY annoying me as the doctor.. all she does is act like this pathetic and scared little girl, yet she's supposed to be so cream of the crop that she get's sent to another galaxy?

I'd rather have Ronan as my doc than her, he at least inspires confidence.. I'd be too afraid that Stait would get an attack of the fears mid treatment and I'd pass on from inaction.

That kind of dippy character (which strikes me as more Jewel than not) might have been ok as the young eccentric engineer in Firefly... but for a supposedly professional REAL doctor.. yeah right.. pass me the whiskey and a knife and I'll do it myself.

lmao Carnifex does have a good point though, as a character she is on the weak side and was probably only brought into the show for the eye candy effect!

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally managed to force myself to watch some more SGA, after I stopped, cause it just became, how should I put it nicely, 'crappy' after the mid-season plot.

Actually I enjoyed watching this one, since there's plenty of fun in it and, No, I'm not talking about the what they say, but all that, as Tetsuo pointed out, '(in)convenient' things going on.

All-in-all an entertaining episode and I gave it a very good, but that rating is weighted against the previous 'crappy' episodes... ;)

(compared with a quality scifi show like BSG, that rating would have been barely a meh, ok)