No love for SMALLVILLE?

Just wondering if I'm the only one here that watches Smallville. Yes I know it's not the best show out there (kind of a guilty pleasure of mine) and it's about 3 seasons beyond where they should have called it quits, but I've always thought it kind of bizarre that since I've been posting here that the show has been completely ignored. What gives?

Probably because it's superhero in nature and I think that's broadly classified differently to sci-fi - despite the obvious parallels.

I don't know why I still watch it... It stopped being good pretty much the second season 3 ended and just became... well, rubbish. I've little more to say about it - other than I hope it ends sooner rather than later.

Probably because it's superhero in nature and I think that's broadly classified differently to sci-fi - despite the obvious parallels.

Maybe, but personally I don't see how it being "superhero" is at all relevent to whether the show is sci-fi enough. It has aliens, alien tech, spaceships, time travel, cyborgs... heck this past week they even went back to the planet Krypton. It being sci-fi seems like a no-brainer to me.

I enjoy it. The buildup to Clark becoming Superman is taking forever though. In the comics stories, he had powers as a child and grew up learning to handle them. Then, in the 80's, they changed his story so he only developed powers as a young adult. That carried over to the new series. This Traveler stuff they have come up with is brand new as far as I know.

I enjoy it. The buildup to Clark becoming Superman is taking forever though. In the comics stories, he had powers as a child and grew up learning to handle them. Then, in the 80's, they changed his story so he only developed powers as a young adult. That carried over to the new series. This Traveler stuff they have come up with is brand new as far as I know.

The Superman story has actually been revised several times since he was first introduced. I forget the specifics (you can read up on it on wikipedia), but supposedly in his original incarnation his only power was superstrength due to his homeworld having higher gravity. He didn't fly but could leap great distances around the curvature of the Earth. The origins of his powers changed a number of times until settling on the sun sometime in the 60s or 70s. When it comes down to it, though, how much Smallville deviates from the comics isn't too much of a concern. Parallel Universes in the DC Comics (or Elseworlds) are pretty popular.

I totally agree that it's taking way too long getting to Superman. Season 8 better be the last one and I really hope they decide to make him fly in the Season 7 finale.

Yes, the Golden Age Superman was weaker than the Silver Age Superman. Who is different from what they have now. Crisis On Infinite Earths in the 80's removed the alternate versions and created one storyline. Elseworlds aren't supposed to exist as part of the "real" world.

I can understand the flying. It takes confidence to just jump and stay up in the air.

I can understand the flying. It takes confidence to just jump and stay up in the air.

It has taken so long in Smallville for Clark Kent to fly that I suspect that Jor-El has placed some sort of mental inhibitor upon him. I thought that when Brainiac took Kara into outer space that flying after them would be the only way he could rescue her, but the writer seriously blew that chance to introduce that power.

Slightly off topic, but have you kept count as to how many times Lex Luthor has been shot over the course of the series? My God it has become some sort of running joke![br]Posted on: May 03, 2008, 06:16:04 PM

Elseworlds aren't supposed to exist as part of the "real" world.

I know. I simply meant that I consider Smallville an "Elseworld" rather than a true adaptation of the original DC Universe timestream.

I think they're probably just worried that once he learns to fly... uh... they'll have to make him Superman or something. It would essentially mean he had to hero more seriously rather than exclusively saving Lana and Chloe.