New Canadian bill tabled on copyright act...

GorunNova

Guest Mrthumps

This might not be as bad right now as it seems given what's going on in the house of commons this week it may get put off till the fall sitting.

Especially with the budget and same sex bills getting all the attention.

Although the flip side would be because said bills are getting the attention, this one could be pased with little to no effort.

Then again it is Ottawa so who knows what those clowns are doing.

So far from what I've read of the bill (haven't had a chance to read it completely through yet) not much is changing.

Mostly what the bill effects is who has to pay royalties & under what conditions they have to be paid.

The assertion that it will now be illegal to download music is just hot air, that right will still exist once the bill is made law.

The bill does move Canada one step nearer to radifying the WIPO treaty, but again the WIPO treaty has nothing to do with the right to download music & is only about the collection of royalties.

The recording industry in Canada with direction of there American counterparts (RIAA) has once again out done itself.

They got the copyright act amended in 1996 in a attempt to add to there revenue's with the CD levy. This backfired & allowed Canadian's the legal right to download music.

This time they tried to make it illegal to download music but have failed, sure they will now be able to force ISP's to hand over downloader names via court order, but it's a very long & expensive process, unlike the US process.

But even if they get a individuals name they will loose any court case against the individual. The main reason for this is simple, there still collecting the CD levy, but there are other reasons beyond the CD levy which entitle Canadian's under Canadian laws to legally download music. These reasons will only be brought to light when the 1st case goes to court, I'll make sure the lawyer for the defendent of the 1st case is made aware of them (hint, you only need read our charter of rights to understand what rights I'm refering to).

• 5 months later...
Guest Mrthumps

For those unaware this bill is now dead and gone in Canada due to the upcoming Federal Election up here.

I guess Steven Harper(leading of the oppisition party who forced the election) wanted to continue his downloading. :p

• 1 month later...
Guest Mrthumps
The evil of the industries control over the people must be opposed.

What? What does this statement have to do with this thread?

All I can say is that it seems to be the same everywhere. Lots of government support for the industries and no support at all for the common people/voters!! Better remember this for the next elections I say!

Do you really think the big parties are all that different on this one?

All I can say is that it seems to be the same everywhere. Lots of government support for the industries and no support at all for the common people/voters!

Common people/voters don't have a right to steal other people's property. Not even TV or music.

Guest Mrthumps
All I can say is that it seems to be the same everywhere. Lots of government support for the industries and no support at all for the common people/voters!

Common people/voters don't have a right to steal other people's property. Not even TV or music.

But somehow you manage to justify it for yourself.

All I can say is that it seems to be the same everywhere. Lots of government support for the industries and no support at all for the common people/voters!! Better remember this for the next elections I say!

Do you really think the big parties are all that different on this one?

My point was to just collectively not vote, or vote blanco for some countries with where voting is obligated. When many people do this, it result wil result in a fiasco for the politicians, since it is a clear sign of non-confidence in the politics of a nation. It can even result in insuffucient votes to get a lawfull result. If this happens multiple times in a row, the parties will certainly see that they have to alter their line of political thought. The real problem is getting over 50% of a country to do this, I'm quite certain it will not happen any time soon, if ever...

But this also has no direct impact on copyright (indirect a plenty..). To discuss further, we'll need another topic. :)

This is not a debate over the morality of file sharing people. We are discussing a new Canadian Bill in this thread. Stay on topic.

I AM on topic: "Common people/voters don't have a right to steal other people's property. Not even TV or music." Therefore I support the Canadian Bill.