Hmmm... I wonder what impact this heart medication will have

GorunNova

US approves first 'ethnic drug'

I don't think this is as controversial as they make it seem, but I'm just wating for the white supremacists to jump on it as 'proof' that blacks are inferior -_-' (note: I sincerely dislike discrimination of all forms... but there's a difference between discrimination and actual biological difference... and that biological difference, imho, doesn't make people inferior. White supremacists should be flogged in the streets...)

I don't think this is as controversial as they make it seem, but I'm just wating for the white supremacists to jump on it as 'proof' that blacks are inferior -_-' (note: I sincerely dislike discrimination of all forms... but there's a difference between discrimination and actual biological difference... and that biological difference, imho, doesn't make people inferior. White supremacists should be flogged in the streets...)

That would be a big mistake to jump on this and say whites are better in anyway.

its just a lack of understanding of how medicine works. Doctors and reseraches have long known that the effects of drug vary based on the genetics of an individual. Moreover, its not just genetics, the enviornment of a person, his/her diet, their motivation i.e psychology, weight, etc etc all play a important role. It has nothing to do with supremacy or inferiority.

Whites have their own genetic afflications and they could use some designer drugs themselves to treat their illnesses. It doesnt mean whites are inferior.

I can see the supprematists point, but not in relation to these results, but to the results stating the in the US Afro-americans are twice as likely to develop heart-diseases.

I'm pretty sure that the "white's" have other diseases that they are more likely to get, so I don't think it would be a good reason to say that white's are superior.

The drug does seem to do a very good job, 43% is a lot!

Whether it is Eugenics or Phrenology, racial bigots have longed tried to use "science" to support their twisted world views.

That said, the next generation of medicine is going to be aimed at genetic profiles, which are likely to get much more specific in defining groups. From a treatment POV, that's a good thing. But the downside that you're pointing out is sort of the rub with gene therapy, isn't it? Because the sad fact is that anyone who believes in racial superiority is going to use any convenient "fact" to bolster their beliefs, and gene therapy is a perfect fit for their twisted views. It gives the cretins of this world a whole new way to justify their hate.

... on the other hand, the people who decry the drug because it's 'biased' also should be flogged. It obviously has an effect, and it has that effect on a subset of society... so it should be ignored because it's 'discriminatory'? Riiight...

Edit:

"This approval of BiDil isn't about personalising medicine. It's about exploiting race to make money by extending patent protection," Jonathan Kahn, a law professor and ethicist at Hamline University in Minnesota who has studied BiDil's development told Reuters.

-_-'... that's what I mean.

... on the other hand, the people who decry the drug because it's 'biased' also should be flogged. It obviously has an effect, and it has that effect on a subset of society... so it should be ignored because it's 'discriminatory'? Riiight...

Edit:

"This approval of BiDil isn't about personalising medicine. It's about exploiting race to make money by extending patent protection," Jonathan Kahn, a law professor and ethicist at Hamline University in Minnesota who has studied BiDil's development told Reuters.

-_-'... that's what I mean.

To me the only things that matter are:

1. Is the drug safe and has it properly been tested.

2. Does it help people live better and longer.

If the answer to both questions is yes, then it is a good thing. However, those selling this will use any legitimate means to get to their target market, which unfortunately is based on ethnicity in this case. OTOH, the bigots will use this to spin their own twisted racial philosophies into a deeper knot.