Did Babylon 5 copy Deep Space Nine?

theaveng

I guess it's your claim that DS9 set the station/characters/et cetera' date=' and JMS copied it? [/quote']

No i believe the station part was a coincident. The rest he ripped off. Like the Defiant. The 5 year story was created with a little help from DS9 here and there.

Nonsense. Back in 1992... loooong before DS9 even existed, J.Michael Straczynski announced to the Usenet newsgroups that he was filming a new show called Babylon 5. Looking further back, JMS published a book in 1988 where-in he refers to "the Babylon 5 videonovel". He already had the idea of a novel for TV back in the 1980s!

Most importantly, he said he had a pre-plotted storyline for five years. Beginning, middle, end. JMS did not copy anything from DS9. There was no need.

Now, your turn. Provide proof of your claim that "B5 copied DS9's ideas".

troy

btw i watched B5 pilot. Your wrong about his religious status. All we got was the name Valen and "a hole in your mind". Since the bible has no reference to Valen and the Emissary was aired 3 months earlier. We can conclude JMS stole the Valen Idea from DS9.

B5's Pilot copied DS9's pilot? Okay. Do you have proof of this? Did JMS have a stolen script of DS9 that he copied?

Have Michael Pillar or Ron Moore ever said they think B5 copied their ideas?

TRIVIA:

Back in the 1970s, Harlan Ellison and Ben Bova sued Paramount for a similar situation. They'd shopped a series to Paramount based on their short story "Brillo", about a robot policeman. Paramount turned it down, and without skipping hardly a beat, put into production...FUTURE COP.

Bova & Ellison won their suit against Paramount.

troy

I guess it's your claim that DS9 set the station/characters/et cetera' date=' and JMS copied it? [/quote']

No i believe the station part was a coincident. The rest he ripped off. Like the Defiant. The 5 year story was created with a little help from DS9 here and

there.

Nonsense. Back in 1992... loooong before DS9 even existed, J.Michael Straczynski announced to the Usenet newsgroups that he was filming a new show called

Babylon 5. Looking further back, JMS published a book in 1988 where-in he refers to "the Babylon 5 videonovel". He already had the idea of a novel for TV

back in the 1980s!

Most importantly, he said he had a pre-plotted storyline for five years. Beginning, middle, end. JMS did not copy anything from DS9. There was no need.

Now, your turn. Provide proof of your claim that "B5 copied DS9's ideas".

troy

I thought i gave you a good ass kicking on the other thread. Clearly you want more. Lets start with the character

Jeffrey Sinclair & Benjamin Sisko.

Which of these two captain is a rip off? Hmm is it the sexy black captain with a smoothly shaved hair and a mean looking moustache and two mean guns that

pose has arms. Maybe the pasty looking Sinclair.

Well in the bible Sinclair is destined for greatness.

In time he will be called upon to become something more than average, something and someone far more important, but that change will be part of his

overall character arc.

In the pilot of The Gathering all we get about this is the name Valen said by Kosh and the "hole" mentioned by the rouge Minbari. That is all about his

religious status.

Sisko

The Emissary aired 3 months before the Gathering. In The Emissary he became religious Icon to the Bajorans.

Check this out

DS9 1 - B5 0

Kira Nerys & Susan Ivanova.

Which of these two first officers is a rip off?The sexy Kira in her sexy suit with her curvy body and a great ass or the masculine Ivanova

Well lets refer to the Bible.

While the bible does refer to her brother dying in the Earth-Minbar War, it also states that she still harbors resentment towards the Minbari, a

trait that was never developed on the show. Her parents are also still alive according to the bible. They are scientists working on Io. ... Ivanova is also

described as "not given to shouting or carrying on". This obviously changed when Claudia Christian was cast in the role. She was not yet cast when this bible

was written.

That is EXTREMELY different from the characer on the show. No mention of the "Resistance."

Kira Nerys

The Emissary aired 3 months before the Gathering (Ivanova wasn't in it . It Different second-in-command). Kira's history was revealed about her parents and the

Resistance.

DS9 2 - B5 0

The War: Shadows vs Everyone & The Dominion vs The United Federation of Planets,The Imperial Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire.

The Bible made no mention of the Shadows. You told me that the War Arc began on Babylon Squared (Don't lie because i am downloading Season 1 and i can verify

it). The Dominion arc began on Rules of Acquisition. The Cold War began on the The Jem'Hadar. Now lets check the Air Dates

Rules of Acquisition Oct 7, 1993

The Jem'Hadar June 12, 1994

Babylon Squared August 10, 1994

Nuff said.

DS9 3 - B5 0

The Civil War.

DS9 coup started on Homefront. You told me the coup in B5 began on an earlier episode then Severed Dreams. After asking twice i have to conclude that you are

lying. Anyway are Air Dates.

Homefront - 1st January 1996.

Severed Dreams - 1st April 1996

DS9 4 - B5 0

Defiant vs White Star.

The cool looking bad ass mofo vs weird looking ship. Sisko got The Defiant on The Search . Sheridan got it on Matters of Honor.

The Search Part I - 26th September 1994

Matters of Honor - 6th November 1995

Talk about obvious stealing. 15 months after DS9. Man how can you defend JMS?

DS9 4 - B5 0

Man i this boring. Unlike the Minbari Warrior cast i hate easy fights.

btw the guy who created DS9 was Brandon Tartikoff. He wasn't in Paramount in 1988 when Paramount "stole" the bible.

R.I.P. Brandon Tartikoff 13 January 1949 - 27 August 1997.

Surely you've misconstrued this? It's not about the dates the episodes air - it's about whether Paramount copied the ideas from JMS prior to either series being made. I don't think you can REALISTICALLY say that air dates have any relevance to this argument.

Neither does the fact that the creator of DS9 wasn't in Paramount when the bible was "stolen". It's not as if it was unstolen.

Working backwards: (5) Defiant vs. Whitestar...

I'll give you this one. It's possible JMS saw the DS9-based starship & thought, "Yes. Good way to escape the station." (Notice how I'm being open-minded to say, "Yeah you're right... you have a point." Open-mindedness on YOUR end would be appreciated too. :-D) ----------> However, note the Whitestar wasn't just one ship. It became an entire FLEET of ships by September 8, 1996. DS9's Defiant remained a sole ship until 1998.

So one can reasonably argue:

- B5 copied Whitestar from DS9's Defiant

- vice-versa, DS9 copied the idea of a "Defiant fleet" from B5's huge Whitestar fleet

- tie : B5 1 / DS9 1

(4) EARTH VS. EARTH (coup/rebellion)

DS9 Homefront - 1st January 1996.

B5's All Alone in the Night - 15 February 1995

In B5's AAITN, General Hague announces he is forming an alliance to take down the president. (And there are more references to General Hague's rebellion in later episodes.) B5's rebellion started almost a full year before DS9, therefore B5 was NOT copying DS9.

Also of note is that "General Hague" was the one who jumped from B5 to DS9, because Paramount bribed him to break his contract with B5. The actor used a different name of course, but it was still the same actor & same idea (a coup on Earth). For people who were watching both, at the same time..... "General Hague" leading DS9's Coup made it feel connected to B5's on-going rebellion.

B5 3 / DS9 1

(3) MAJOR WAR

DS9 The Jem'Hadar June 12, 1994

B5's Signs & Portents May 18, 1994

S&P is where the Shadows first arrive at Babylon 5 & set-up a deal to attack the Narn. Thus begins the first battles of the War. As you see, Babylon 5 predated DS9, so it wouldn't be possible for B5 to copy.

Also, I disagree Jem'Hadar = war. To me, that was just a skirmish between soldiers (as happened many times on Star Trek), and it could have led to nothing... a skirmish but not war. Of course when a war starts is debateable. Some say World War 2 started in 1932 when Japan invaded China (instead of 1939). ----------> But in my opinion, the two episodes of each series where we know absolutely/positively that War Will Happen:

DS9 The Die Is Cast 5/1/95 (romulans attack dominion homeworld)

B5's Chrysalis = 10/3/94 (england) (the Shadows attack the Narn & kill Earth's president)

However you look at it, it's obvious that B5's war came first, and was NOT copying DS9.

B5 4 / DS9 1

(2) Kira was 1st/Ivanova is a copy ------ Disagree. I don't see any connection. As you yourself said, Kira was sexy & Ivanova was Russian ;-). Kira's a rebel who grew up under alien occupation & Ivanova is a loyal "yes sir" soldier in the earth military. Rebel vs. "yes sir" soldier.

They are not clones of one another. On the contrary, they are *exact opposites*. YOU MISSED THE BALL on this one.

(1) Sisko was 1st/Sinclair is a copy ----- Again, disagree. B5's Pilot aired after DS9's pilot (February vs. January 1993). True. But B5's Pilot was *filmed in Fall 1992*, and was already "in the can", so it would have been impossible to copy DS9's 1993 premiere.

Final Tally:

B5 5 / DS9 1

Conclusion: Your claim that B5/JMS copied DS9's ideas are, overall, invalid.

troy

Before I make any comments, I have to say one thing... CUT DOWN ON THE LINES AND LINES OF WHITE SPACE ALREADY! Some of your blocks of white space are bigger than many of your paragraphs! It's annoying and forces extra scrolling -_-'...

... I'll talk about my take on your points after I get back home ^^

Thanks for the advice, but you've been outranked by persons of greater experience. Both my high school teachers & my college professors said to use lots of white space:

- look at Furious' message - look how cluttered & difficult-to-read it is.

- look at mine - it's easy on the eyes and easy to follow

If you find yourself scrolling too much, maybe your screen-size is set too low? Mine is at [correction - 1280x1024]. Anyway, as I said, I'm just following the advice of the experts who taught me.

troy

Surely you've misconstrued this? It's not about the dates the episodes air - it's about whether Paramount copied the ideas from JMS prior to either series being made. I don't think you can REALISTICALLY say that air dates have any relevance to this argument.

Neither does the fact that the creator of DS9 wasn't in Paramount when the bible was "stolen". It's not as if it was unstolen.

Then where the hell did they steal from? If DS9 episode pre-date B5 and the information wasn't on the Bible Did Ira go into the future? :rolleyes:

Before I make any comments, I have to say one thing... CUT DOWN ON THE LINES AND LINES OF WHITE SPACE ALREADY! Some of your blocks of white space are bigger than many of your paragraphs! It's annoying and forces extra scrolling -_-'...

... I'll talk about my take on your points after I get back home ^^

Then how are you guys going to know what i am talking about?

- look at mine - it's easy on the eyes and easy to follow

If you find yourself scrolling too much, maybe your screen-size is set too low? Mine is at [correction - 1280x1024]. Anyway, as I said, I'm just following the advice of the experts who taught me.

Wow nice insult to cover up your weakness?

My arguent on the next post.

I'll give you this one. It's possible JMS saw the DS9-based starship & thought, "Yes. Good way to escape the station." (Notice how I'm being open-minded to

say, "Yeah you're right... you have a point." Open-mindedness on YOUR end would be appreciated too. :-D) ----------> However, note the Whitestar wasn't

just one ship. It became an entire FLEET of ships by September 8, 1996. DS9's Defiant remained a sole ship until 1998.

So one can reasonably argue:

- B5 copied Whitestar from DS9's Defiant

- vice-versa, DS9 copied the idea of a "Defiant fleet" from B5's huge Whitestar fleet

- tie : B5 1 / DS9 1

Defiant was prototype. Notice the NX in the registry NX-74205. That means Defiant was the only one made until it passed the test. Sisko did say he asked

Starfleet to start it up. Meaning others would be built has soon has it left it's experimental status. Ergo no win for B5.

In B5's AAITN, General Hague announces he is forming an alliance to take down the president. (And there are more references to General Hague's rebellion in

later episodes.) B5's rebellion started almost a full year before DS9, therefore B5 was NOT copying DS9.

There is a big difference between trying find out what happened to a coup. Hague was trying to gather evidence.

Also of note is that "General Hague" was the one who jumped from B5 to DS9, because Paramount bribed him to break his contract with B5. The actor

used a different name of course, but it was still the same actor & same idea (a coup on Earth). For people who were watching both, at the same time.....

"General Hague" leading DS9's Coup made it feel connected to B5's on-going rebellion.

Hey you know what Stargate did it too.

Stargate producer talking

Brad Wright: Hey Jon lets steal Robert Foxworth and put him on Memento.

Jonathan Glassner: Yeah. Lets make his character a leader under threat of a coup.

Richard Dean Anderson: Yeah steal from B5. It is SOOO much better then us.

:rolleyes:

Do you know anything about actors? The don't look for "pay once" gigs. They want recurring character. Acting is an instable career. Your out of work today and tomorrow your paid. A good recurring character offers stability.

S&P is where the Shadows first arrive at Babylon 5 & set-up a deal to attack the Narn. Thus begins the first battles of the War. As you see, Babylon

5 predated DS9, so it wouldn't be possible for B5 to copy.

Yet you frgot about Rules of Acquisition which aired on Oct 7, 1993

Also, I disagree Jem'Hadar = war. To me, that was just a skirmish between soldiers (as happened many times on Star Trek), and it could have led to

nothing... a skirmish but not war. Of course when a war starts is debateable. Some say World War 2 started in 1932 when Japan invaded China (instead of

1939). ----------> But in my opinion, the two episodes of each series where we know absolutely/positively that War Will Happen:

So destroying ships, massacring civilians,destroying colonies, capturing a captain,spying, destroying a galaxy class ship retreating. threatening,giving

demands and declaring war is a skirmish?

Btw the japan-china war was a different one from WW2. A World War is a war that involves a lot of countries. The invasion of Poland started the run off effect

involving other countries.

(2) Kira was 1st/Ivanova is a copy ------ Disagree. I don't see any connection. As you yourself said, Kira was sexy & Ivanova was Russian ;-).

Kira's a rebel who grew up under alien occupation & Ivanova is a loyal "yes sir" soldier in the earth military. Rebel vs. "yes sir" soldier.

They are not clones of one another. On the contrary, they are *exact opposites*. YOU MISSED THE BALL on this one.

So neither is a female first officer that shout orders, head of a resistance, both have dead parents and had a relative killed in a war. Yeah i can see it.

Their is a whooping 0.0001% different :D.

(1) Sisko was 1st/Sinclair is a copy ----- Again, disagree. B5's Pilot aired after DS9's pilot (February vs. January 1993). True. But B5's Pilot was *filmed in Fall 1992*, and was already "in the can", so it would have been impossible to copy DS9's 1993 premiere.

I have an urge to comment on how stupid you are. I am really struggling to control it. Now READ THIS.

The Gathering had nothing on his Religious status. NOTHING!!!

The Emissary.

After the gathering the history of "Valen" came up. There for DS9 came first.

Notice how I'm being open-minded to

say, "Yeah you're right... you have a point." Open-mindedness on YOUR end would be appreciated too.

Its all good to say pigs can fly but you have to prove it. Show your evidence. I already showed mine.

- look at mine - it's easy on the eyes and easy to follow, because I used tons of white-space

Wow nice insult to cover up your weakness?

Do you know anything about actors? The don't look for "pay once" gigs.

Yet you frgot about Rules of Acquisition which aired on Oct 7, 1993.

I didn't insult you. I would never do that. I critiqued your message/ideas which is perfectly acceptable in a debate.

And, you missed the part where I said, "...the actor *broke his contract* with B5." He had a paying gig with B5, but he walked out on it. (Didn't show up for work.) I call that un-professional.

Finally, Rules of Acquisition says *nothing* about a war, or impending war. It says there's a race called "The Dominion", and that's it. For all we know, after watching that episode, they could be peace activists & tree-huggers.

Btw the japan-china war was a different one from WW2. A World War is a war that involves a lot of countries.

Go watch the series "Why We Fight", an award-winning documentary. It lists 1932, the invasion of China, as the start of WW2. -----> AND many historians say WW2 is actually "The Great War" of 1914... continued. i.e. Another 30 Years War. There's no such thing as absolutes in history.

I have an urge to comment on how stupid you are. Its all good to say pigs can fly but you have to prove it. Show your evidence. I already showed mine.

First off, it's *your* claim that B5 copied DS9, so the burden of proof lies on *your* shoulders, not mine. Second, the only thing you showed was a tendency to ignore my points, and a lack of logical reasoning (Kira = Ivanova??? NO. Rebelious woman vs. loyal soldier. They're complete opposites).

And with that "you are stupid" comment, I see you're falling back to your old "JMS is a cheapass", "You lie", and other personal insults. I warned you once that I don't tolerate ill-mannered/childish behavior.

You didn't listen.

So conversation over. I already gave you a second chance to "clean up" your act. But you didn't. I'm not giving you a third chance to insult me.

troy

One more time:

B5's Chrysalis 10/94 (Shadows attack the Narn & kill Earth's president - igniting war)

DS9 The Die Is Cast 5/95 (Romulans attack dominion homeworld - igniting war)

It's obvious that B5's war came first, and was NOT copying DS9, as you falsely claim.

troy

I hate to say this as it might be considered trek blasphemy but I thought B5 was way Better than DS9 anyways, B5 was just so much more down and dirty, and action packed, DS9 seems so tame in comparison, even the dominion war was really toned down in comparison to B5's wars, the only thing DS9 had over B5 was the Defiant, and the girls were hotter........

and look at what happened to the Girl that played Da'len, she ended up as the Crazy Lady from Lost Lol......

after watching the 5th season of B5, theres no way he coulda copied it

I know, or at least believe so, cause after the ending, it left me stumped. Like "thats it?!?" so I did some hunting, for fansites cause ya know theres bound to be millions of those, and found this one really indepth one with scripts and analytical views etc

And as it recalled episodes of season 5, it'd often link to quotes or interviews or dvd extra commentary references to it all. You'd often see stuff said by J.M.S how fans asked him stuff like "why only 5 seasons?" and he'd always explain how he had this vision of the entire story, from beginning to end, every major event and character, and only had to actually film it all. How he had it all written and created, it just needed the time and actual ya know actors to make it happen. Alot of which came from his book and novel/novella writings from as pointed out, back in the day.

Is it alot like DS9? Yes, hell there's huge similarities (spacestations, both with either wormholes or wormhole-like technology for long distance travel in a short time), but thats where it really stops. I mean, it took DS9 several seasons to get the "Dominion War" going and even when it "began" it was a slow process. B5 jumped right into it with Season 2, having already laid the ground work in Season 1 and parts of 2, and just escalated as it went on. DS9 did that as well they just did it much longer, on a much bigger budget (if I recall right B5 had to work smaller and tighter).

The rest just falls into opinion. Good, bad, parody or ripoff, your calls personally. I liked both, loved both.

The Dominion war doesn't really start until the Cardassian Union join the Dominion.

The Obsidian Order and Tal'Shiar were manipulated into attacking the fake founders homeworld in the Die is Cast but you'll notice that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. The Dominion don't go to war with the Romulans or Cardassians.

B5 was very differently structured to DS9. B5 was - as JMS put it - a video novel. DS9 had more continuity than probably any other Trek but they'd still have a lot of pointless episodes (running off to the mirror universe, random happy episodes and so on).

Anyway, to say that the Dominion War starts before season 5 is really an overstatement.

The Dominion war doesn't really start until the Cardassian Union join the Dominion.

The Obsidian Order and Tal'Shiar were manipulated into attacking the fake founders homeworld in the Die is Cast but you'll notice that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. The Dominion don't go to war with the Romulans or Cardassians.

B5 was very differently structured to DS9. B5 was - as JMS put it - a video novel. DS9 had more continuity than probably any other Trek but they'd still have a lot of pointless episodes (running off to the mirror universe, random happy episodes and so on).

Anyway, to say that the Dominion War starts before season 5 is really an overstatement.

Well, I wasn't sure which season it began. I mean if you look at it the ground work is laid fairly early as you find Odo always wondering about his species and the whole finding out about the Jem'Hadar.

But also note that despite the Founders not going to war with the Romulans they did join up with the Alpha Quadrant Alliance (note not sure if that was an official title or just a working one), and did fight along side them. But that was much later on.

If any of the treks could be labeled a video novel like B5, it would have been DS9, of any series it aside from Voyager had a running backstory to it. TOS, TNG, Enterprise, all generally the same thing: Federation flagship on a typical mission of exploration and diplomacy. B5 was similar to DS9.

I do think DS9 did take it's time though. I got caught on around season 3, watching on tv that is but between season 3 and 7 I only caught a handful of episodes each season cause personally I thought the plotline built slow and the generic trek "filler" episodes were too bland (like the one where the current Kai goes on a shuttle trip with Sisko n gang into the Delta quadrant only to land on a planet and die but come back to life and be stuck there?..). So when I did download the seasons many many years later, I started around late season 4 and got season torrents from 5-7 as 1-3 weren't doing much for me. Seasons 5-7 were pure gold though in my book, once the story had been laid.

Which is ironic when you think about it. DS9 took their time, but B5 told their story by the time DS9 was just getting a good start on theirs. Plus, their stories are vastly different. Instead of a war between species fighting for dominance in a large sector of the universe, you had two very ancient races fighting for who would watch over and guide the younger races in the coming centuries which inturn gave way to a new arch in a story; civil war with the human home planet (Earth). B5 had trek beat there in terms of originality (then again Trek didnt need a civil war, that'd kinda defeat the whole purpoe of Trek).

Personally when it was said and done, if either show creators borrowed/stole/copied from the other, I didn't care. Both were enteraining shows, leaving me wanting more more more, and had great moments, great characters great everything.

B5 was very differently structured to DS9. B5 was - as JMS put it - a video novel. DS9 had more continuity than probably any other Trek but they'd still have a lot of pointless episodes (running off to the mirror universe' date=' random happy episodes and so on).[/quote']

Yeah but those "pointless" episodes were very entertaining. A lot of DS9's short-story/stand-alone episodes are actually *better* than what TNG did.

troy

Go watch the series "Why We Fight", an award-winning documentary. It lists 1932, the invasion of China, as the start of WW2. -----> AND many historians say WW2 is actually "The Great War" of 1914... continued. i.e. Another 30 Years War. There's no such thing as absolutes in history.

Wait let me get this straight WW1 is WW2? What kinda show do watch? Notice this. World war 2. Notice name world? Since the Invasion of China did not trigger other countries to join it isn't part of the war.

First off, it's *your* claim that B5 copied DS9, so the burden of proof lies on *your* shoulders, not mine

Well your claming DS9 stole from B5 so you have to prove your lie too.

Second, the only thing you showed was a tendency to ignore my points, and a lack of logical reasoning (Kira = Ivanova??? NO. Rebelious woman vs. loyal soldier. They're complete opposites).

I think you fail to notice the obvious not me.

And with that "you are stupid" comment, I see you're falling back to your old "JMS is a cheapass", "You lie", and other personal insults. I warned you once that I don't tolerate ill-mannered/childish behavior.

WTF is this then?

because Paramount bribed him to break

Sisko was 1st/Sinclair is a copy ----- Again, disagree. B5's Pilot aired after DS9's pilot (February vs. January 1993). True. But B5's Pilot was *filmed in Fall 1992*, and was already "in the can", so it would have been impossible to copy DS9's 1993 premiere.

huh? I was talking about the series and you spew on about the pilot. The pilot had nothing on Valen except for name. Your just tring to hide away from the point.

B5's Chrysalis 10/94 (Shadows attack the Narn & kill Earth's president - igniting war)

DS9 The Die Is Cast 5/95 (Romulans attack dominion homeworld - igniting war)

Once again you ignore facts. The Dominion committed acts of war and declared it on The Jem'Hadar. In the The Die Is Cast ROMULANS and CARDASSIANS attack The Dominion. Not the federation. Besides why did Sisko get a warship if there no war?

Finally, Rules of Acquisition says *nothing* about a war, or impending war. It says there's a race called "The Dominion", and that's it. For all we know, after watching that episode, they could be peace activists & tree-huggers.

iding from the points again? The Dosi warned Quark about them. Here is what happened on the run to the finale.

Rules of Acquisition: Dosi warn them that everything must go through The Dominion.

Sanctuary: The Dominion conquered a race.

Shadowplay: The Dominion conquered another race

In Sanctuary and Shadowplay you see the office react to the Dominion. Since The Dominion are the Big Dog they have to deal with them sooner or later..

A Cold War started not a full scale war.

Rules of Aquisition didn't really do much more than be extremely vague about the Dominion. You can't say that the Dominion war started before season 5. They don't even do that much in season 3.

As to whether the episodes of DS9 that were unrelated were enjoyable - that's a matter of personal preference but they made the show very trek, even when they were in the middle of a bloody war, they were able to head off to be involved in a holodeck accident.

Rules of Aquisition didn't really do much more than be extremely vague about the Dominion. You can't say that the Dominion war started before season 5. They don't even do that much in season 3.

Rules of Aquisition was a warning. Hell they even implied a threat.

QUARK:

Does the word "Dominion" mean anything to you.

Anyone who knows English would think Domain.

This is a from a dictionary.

1. Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion†(Jonathan Edwards).

2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.

3. often Dominion Abbr. Dom. One of the self-governing nations within the British Commonwealth.

4. dominions Christianity. See domination.

That basically describes the Dominion to the T. The Vorta rule over the empire but each individual is allowed to govern themselves has long has they behave.

Btw do you even know what a Cold War is?

A state of rivalry and tension between two factions, groups, or individuals that stops short of open, violent confrontation

Anyone watched DS9 would notice it. The clues are there.

Sisko gets warship

DS9 gets a weapons Upgrade

More Starfleet personal are sent

Tighter alliance with Romulans