Movie: Serenity

nuages

Sheppard Book, whether you like him or not, provided balance to the other characters........

:stare:

Remember the "Special Hell" comment in the series?

......I never laughed so hard in my life!

:cyclops:

Once you upset a show's balance, it's never the same, even if you replace him with someone else.

:(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA, yeah that was a great line :) i think its doubly worse with Wash gone now though, i mean he really brought balance to the crew also and you can never replace him. I think we will see more of the shepard though if its only history of the shepard or learning more of the shepard, if we get anymore firefly related material :)

Jubal Early, the bounty hunter from "Objects in Space", said in reference to Book, "That's no Shepherd." Being a bounty hunter, who had been following Serenity for a while, he probably had done some investigating on the crew. I'm sure he knew who he was dealing with ahead of time. He took out Book without giving him the chance to fight back which in my mind means he thought the Shepherd was a threat.

did anyone else have deja vu watching "slayer" River in her final battle. Hell she even had an AXE!

I was waiting for Spike t make an apperance, not that I'm complaing it was a well shot scene, just a little familiar

BTW you need to have seen the last episde of Buffy to understand my point

Well it was written by Joss so there's bound to be a little parallel. Eh, it's all good.

Wash dying was kinda sad but the Doc finally got it on with the engineer - about f*ckin time! It was always will they, won't they and now it's 'Aw, yeah!'.

Apparently the budget was $40M so it's only made 25% back in the first weekend. I think people assume it's sci-fi and that grates against them. They don't realise how much of it is casual, everyday-type relations like the Captains conversations - "We'll be experiencing some slight turbulence and possible death" or Wash's reply beforehand "Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die". There's a lot of well-delivered lines in it that are well-timed like when they escape the reavers, come crashing into the launch bay and River goes 'I swallowed a bug'.

Here's to it making lots more money and furthering the Firefly universe to a movie trilogy.

This movie was excellent. As a fan of the show I was totally satisfied. The pacing of the movie was a bit too quick. I think it was a kind of blitzkrieg style to keep the audience from getting distracted by the character history. Many of my friends who saw the movie without seeing the show commented afterwards that it was easy to miss some of the clues-- like the fact that the first officer and navigator were married was only mentioned once in passing near the beginning. That said, even with those complaints I'm hearing the non-fans still like it. Yet, I wonder if we're being humored?

BTW, I recommed the comic. There are additional scenes in it that would have helped the film. I expect there will be quite a few deleted scenes in the DVD-- like how Book came to be a small town preacher (its the first scene in the comic.)

Killing off Sheppard Book was a bad idea........There will no doubt be repercussions.

:(

They may have had no choice in killing off characters if the actors didn't want to continue or had conflicts with other work. Remember when Spock died. It wasn't because of any story consideration, Nimoy simply wanted out. The only alternative is replacing the actor, which doesn't always work out. After all, there are still Dick Sargent vs. Dick York debates and 'Bewitched' was cancelled over 30 years ago.

The film was enjoyable but a trilogy? I don't know that seems to be pushing it if you ask me. I mean, they killed off Shepard and Wash and that's really going to make it hard to stick to the "feel" of the show because you've thrown off the dynamic. I also wonder what exactly they'll do with a trilogy? I mean, the ultimate downfall of the alliance? That would be so horribly cliche.

I think that killing Shepard may have been a way to leave him a person for fans to speculate on in perputity.

Of course, the film itself wasn't all that true to the feeling of the show as far as I was concerned... but then, that wasn't a good or bad thing.

who was shepard ? I only saw the film once, seemed like ha was a safe haven.

People have to die in wars or there is no price to pay

seems an expensive film if half the cast are killed tho.

perhaps there aren't enough left for a sequel so maybe a prequel instead

Check out the "official" DVD cover art and menus HERE.

Apparently, some fans are less than pleased with the artwork and have started an online PETITION to have it changed. :stare:

Can't say I'm thrilled with it, mostly with the rather fake-looking River, but the rest of it looks ok.

P.S. It's available for pre-order at AMAZON.COM

First seen the series, now seen the movie...

I have to say: the movie is quite a bit different from the series, a lot less humor and a lot more action... Don't know for sure if I find that trade a good thing... I think they might have done it to make it more acceptable for a greater crowd, it being a movie and all...

regardless of what happens in the future, will there be a part 2, will there be a second series?

the film was defintive in the sense that the story was complete and did not leave you hanging with a sense of irritation that the series did.

Its story was direct and the characters were whole and regardless of who dies its always a shock.

this in itself is great presentation as it increases empathy with the remaining characters. It make us care what happens.

for myself the film captured the very essence of great science fiction/fantasy storytelling that is found in books but almost always lost when put to film.

I would like to see the series continued but then that is in the hands of people that finance such projects.

the possibilty of a second film i would imagine to be very good as this is a film that gains momentum with time. it is a film that people like to watch more than once and that makes it an excellent market product. As with all things money is the key factor and it is ralistic to assume that a part 2 will be more expensive to produce that part 1.