TV: Firefly

NiteShdw

A lot of tv show have hit and miss episodes to. I think it's a great way of doing firefly and realistic. I'm starting my own mini campaign - You never know, it just might work - to see if I get get anywhere with the idea. Anyone wana help - make suggestions?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair to say that pretty much EVERY show has hit and miss episodes. Firefly just doesn't instantly grasp you.

I watched the pilot and the next two episodes and didn't go back to it for 18 months.

Might want to sort that code out too.

• 1 month later...

I just finished watching the show and I gotta tell u that it was the best sci-fi show that I watched. for me it was better than Star Trek and any other series. It's only sad that they only accomplished to put out 14 episodes because once u start watching u don't wanna end.

And as far as using costumes from other shows/movies. So what ? U see it for only few minutes out of the whole episode. If u want everything to b perfect then go watch Sex in the City. Creating such a great show on low budget was a real accomplishment and it deserves a second chance.

almost instantly more interesting that 7 years of Voyager... well, ok so is hammering sharp metal objects through your genitals

I guess it takes all kinds. Voyager was not my favorite Trek, but I'm enjoying it more than I imagine I'd enjoy sharp metal objects through my genitalia, hammered or otherwise!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW! Just finished watching the entire show + the movie! WTF were the "powers that be" thinking when they cancelled this show? This is one of the best scifi shows I've ever seen!!! The acting and story lines were great. I just love the characters (especially the Captain). The humor is fantastic. I wish there was more... *heavy sigh*

c4 :(

• 3 months later...
In many ways, Firefly is a more mature Farscape. The "space opera" - if we must use that ghastly term - is there but with greater subtly and it's just so refreshing to see a show where we aren't forced to endure a new, slightly different and never to be seen again alien race every week.

The space western motif is perhaps slightly forced and the frontier feel that which that tries to represent feel somewhat false but the "verse" that Firefly represents is - despite the fact it is limited to a single solar syste - almost instantly more interesting that 7 years of Voyager... well, ok so is hammering sharp metal objects through your genitals but Firefly just has this potential.

Ok, the characters are only really kind of stereotypes - the rogue but heart of gold captain, psycho but uberpowerful buffy girl, traitorous but comes good in the end chap, awesome pilot, preacher with a cloudy past etc. etc. But I think outside of BSG, it's pretty hard to think of a show that would so quickly offer interest. Most shows don't get going until their 2-3 year. Yet Firefly offers so much more in but 14 episodes.

At it's best, it can offer the humour of SG-1, the drama of BSG and the characterisation of Farscape... for a cynic like me though, there are points which will feel rather tiresome or overlaboured etc but if you asked me whether I'd rather 14 episode of Voyager/Enterprise/Slider/[bad sci-fi] vs. more Firefly, I would go with Firefly.

I have recently worked my way through the Firefly series (Serenity Movie included) and i have to agree - Firefly has similar qualities to Farscape and both series are unique in so many ways.

At first the idea of a Sci-Fi Western didn't really appear to me but after watching a few episodes i quickly got into the show. The stereotypes are very clear, as has been said, but i think that worked out ok in the end (of season 1 - not the movie) because the crew all came together and developed. I liked the idea of being confined to a smaller area of space - it made things seem that little bit more realistic and it avoided some of the technobabble normally accompanied with ships capable of warp/hyperdrive/etc. flight (Even Stargate has this problem).

In my opinion they should have either done one of the following:

1) Finished the series at Episode 14 and not had the Serenity movie.

2) Continued the series after episode 14 so they had enough time to develop River and get the story out properly.

I just felt that episode 14 ended so perfectly that the movie spoilt it in a way. The movie felt rushed and it just left the impression that so much was left out. Ron Glass probably had a total of 5 minutes on camera and then he was killed off - totally defeating the build-up we had over the series about who he really was.

However, all that said, i found this a great series. It doesn't beat Farscape but i think if it had the chance - it could have. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I agree that the last ep. was a good ending episode.. although i wish it was the end of the season not the series :(

The only thing that really irks me is that there are quite a few questions left... specifically.. Who exactly is Shepard Book.. A uber special forces Holy Crusader guru?

Oh and also they never finished selling the laser gun thing which im sure they were going to make a whole episode over tbh..

Bah.... i re-watched them all last week... I want new blood god dammit :(

The only thing that really irks me is that there are quite a few questions left... specifically.. Who exactly is Shepard Book.. A uber special forces Holy Crusader guru?

I actually liked that about Firefly (and in other shows as well) The idea that there are still mysteries left unanswered. The Sheppard mystery was a good one because it was somthing  they had going through quite a few episodes and in the end - was never really answered.

• 4 months later...