Is my hard drive dying?

StitchInTime

I set it to deframent last night, and it was still reading only 10 percent done this morning. It seemed to be recovering the same ground over and over; so, I stopped it. Now, I have started again, and it doesn't seem to be going any better.

What the heck is going on?

Should I be worried?

Right click the C:\ drive in My Computer, select Properties, tools tab, then check my hard drive for errors. Allow it to run at reboot and let it run. It will tell you how many "Bad sectors" are on your drive and try to block them off from read-write access. (A good thing). If not you might just need to reload.... :o ;) ;)

Did you download or put somthing on to your HD recently that could be slowing things down. It could be a Virus or Spywear - try running a few scans just to be sure....

Quite a number actually. So, not sure where to begin.

It all started with the browser trouble. So I tried Netscape, but didn't like it. Then I tried Firefox, but I don't like it either.

I also tried Utorrent and it seems to trigger some sort of connection problems, where I can't go anywhere outside my home page. This happens occasionaly, but with Utorrent every time.

I uninstalled netscape, and got rid of Utorrent. I also got rid of BitComet because it wasn't working right. Then I decided to try going back to Bittornado to see if it would work any better, but it doesn't seem to.

I've done virus and spyware scans, but I'm not sure if I did one today; so, maybe will try again.

Make sure that you have enough FREE disk space. Defragmentation takes a LONG time if you don't have enough free space.

I recommend the program "O&O Defrag" (plenty of torrents for it, v8). it has a 'STEALTH' mode that just defragments without re-ordering the files. It will also defragment in the background. I use it and my drives are ALWAYS less then 1% fragmented (due to the background defragging).

Sounds like curropt programing. ei the defrag utility. Try reinstalling your defrag program. You do run a defrag program and not windows' date=' right?[/quote']

The defrag program doesn't work, but I don't think I can reinstall it because it's too old. Actually, the last time I had to use the one that comes with windows because of that, and that's what I used. The defrag program kept reporting that the drive contents were changing, as though something was running, but nothing should have been runnning.

When I then used the one included with windows it worked; so, I just kept using it. This time neither of them works I tried defrag again tonight and it looks as if it's stuck in a feedback loop, just like before, and keeps defraging the same section over and over again.

I did the spyware and virus scans, and everything came up clean.

AVG runs something in the background, and I'm not sure I've degragmented since I installed that. Could it be that?

As for free drive space, I think it's about the same amount I had last time I defragmented, but how much is enough?

I don't have much ram; so, I don't think I can add another program that operates in the background.

Nonetheless, as a backup plan, where is O&O Defrag? Should I just do a google search?

I would try another scandisc then try to defrag again. I know you've tried both but if their are errors on the HD scandisc may be able to fix them to allow the defrag to run its course.

AVG runs something in the background, and I'm not sure I've degragmented since I installed that. Could it be that?

You could try to run the scandisc and defrag from your windows safe boot to prevent some programs from running in the background. I am not positive if the running programs are causing your troubles but it seems reasonable to assume that that could be a problem.

Also, try and hunt down a program called jv16 Power Tools from one of the BitTorret sites. It does a fine job of cleaning registry entries that are no longer valid. If you locate the program you can send me a PM and I will try and walk you through the process safely.

Defragging is a very delicate operation! You should allways make certain that there are no virusses on the disk and that the disk is checked for errors BEFORE you try to run a defrag. 15% free space and 10% continuous free space is recommended for defragging without delay.

btw. Sometimes it's easier to circomvent a problem rather than trying to solve it. In this case: it might take less time to do a complete reïnstall of your system (say 5h to have everything backup-ed and reïnstalled just the way you want it, if you're not very familiar with the process), than to try to find out what's wrong exactly and try to fix that...(time unknow... could be 1h, could be 1 week)...

I set it to deframent last night, and it was still reading only 10 percent done this morning. It seemed to be recovering the same ground over and over; so, I stopped it. Now, I have started again, and it doesn't seem to be going any better.

What the heck is going on?

Should I be worried?

Stitch,

Was your system running when you tried this? If so, you really cannot run the windows defragmenter, especially if you have one hardrive installed, while windows and any programs, such as p2p apps (bittorrent, etc.) are running. The disk will continuously be accessed, and the defrag, will never complete, or be allowed to complete. Thus, it will seem to be restarting over and over again.

If you want to defrag that HD, you have to do it at a reboot, as said above, or, the BEST solution, is what Nite said, and use 0 & 0 defrag., as it allows you to defrag while your system is running.

Another good defrag program is DiskKeeper, but I prefer 0 & 0, as it seems to do it well on the fly, and manages resources very well.

If you can't find the app anywhere, say the word, and it can be emailed, or perhaps a temp torrent for it can be added here, or somewhere, so you can get it.

You need to do a defrag in "safe mode" - if it's restarting at 10% I'd presume that you've got windows millenium - it restarts at 10% as applications are accessing the data and making a change - it'll work fine in safe mode as nothin else is running accessing the hard disk.

I would try another scandisc then try to defrag again. I know you've tried both but if their are errors on the HD scandisc may be able to fix them to allow the defrag to run its course.

Done. No errors, no change.

You could try to run the scandisc and defrag from your windows safe boot to prevent some programs from running in the background. I am not positive if the running programs are causing your troubles but it seems reasonable to assume that that could be a problem.

How do I do that?

Also, try and hunt down a program called jv16 Power Tools from one of the BitTorret sites. It does a fine job of cleaning registry entries that are no longer valid. If you locate the program you can send me a PM and I will try and walk you through the process safely.

I have a program that does that, but am afraid to try it. Why would I want to do that?

Defragging is a very delicate operation! You should allways make certain that there are no virusses on the disk and that the disk is checked for errors BEFORE you try to run a defrag. 15% free space and 10% continuous free space is recommended for defragging without delay.

I have done that, and have at least one third free space at any given time; so, it may not be a space issue then.

btw. Sometimes it's easier to circomvent a problem rather than trying to solve it. In this case: it might take less time to do a complete reïnstall of your system (say 5h to have everything backup-ed and reïnstalled just the way you want it, if you're not very familiar with the process), than to try to find out what's wrong exactly and try to fix that...(time unknow... could be 1h, could be 1 week)...

In that case I would have to redownload most of the programs I have, some of which are quite old, and probably impossible to get, and all the updates for windows. Even if I can access them all, I have dialup; so, that could take forever. I’m in the middle of semester right now, and don’t have time for anything that drastic.

Was your system running when you tried this? If so' date=' you really cannot run the windows defragmenter, especially if you have one hardrive installed, while windows and any programs, such as p2p apps (bittorrent, etc.)[/quote']

I have done this many times, and this is the first time I’ve had any problems doing that. As for running other programs at the same time, I don’t do that anyway, because I don’t have enough RAM.

If you want to defrag that HD, you have to do it at a reboot, . . .

I’ve never done that, have never needed to before, and don’t have a clue how.

If you can't find the app anywhere, say the word, and it can be emailed, or perhaps a temp torrent for it can be added here, or somewhere, so you can get it.

If it comes to that, I will let you know.

You need to do a defrag in "safe mode" - if it's restarting at 10% I'd presume that you've got windows millenium - it restarts at 10% as applications are accessing the data and making a change - it'll work fine in safe mode as nothin else is running accessing the hard disk.

No, I don’t have ME. How do you get to safe mode, and how do you do it from there?

I wish I had read this earlier on. I use to have this exact same problem and it was definitely due to a program accessing/writing to disk. 10% would go on for ever. Safe mode should clear up your problem but if it doesn't you probably have to locate the program that is running without you knowing.

Try shutting off everything in the system tray including virus protection/firewall programs. Then run defrag.

If this doesn't work look for a web page that lists all the programs that can run at startup and which ones are unneccessary or safe to disable. Even a new printer can put things in the system tray that screws up many other programs.

How do you get to safe mode' date=' and how do you do it from there?[/quote']

After the POST, you just press F8 at the very start or just before the OS starts to load, this will give you a little menu. Just choose safe mode and you're done... (for the safe mode part) ;)

I wish I had read this earlier on. I use to have this exact same problem and it was definitely due to a program accessing/writing to disk. 10% would go on for ever. Safe mode should clear up your problem but if it doesn't you probably have to locate the program that is running without you knowing.

Try shutting off everything in the system tray including virus protection/firewall programs. Then run defrag.

If this doesn't work look for a web page that lists all the programs that can run at startup and which ones are unneccessary or safe to disable.

Sorry, if I am being dense, but "system tray?"