Site FAQ

S0V13T

The NiteSciFi Fansite and Forum's FAQ

Heres the general site FAQ so far. More questions and answers will be added on an as-needed basis, So if you have a question about any aspect of this site, or anything relevant then by all means please reply in this thread.

Table of Contents

i) General

What's NiteSciFi about?

ii) IRC

How do I connect to NiteShdw's IRC channel?

What are the IRC channel rules?

Are there any Fservs in the channel?

Who are the channel bots, and who is in charge of them?

iii) Forum

What are the forum rules?

What do I do if the forum site goes down? I need my sci-fi fix!

How can I tell who's a forum Moderator / Administrator?

What are Forum Rankings, and how are they assigned to people?

Why did my post got deleted / edited / moved?

=============================

General

Q: What's the purpose for this site?

A: The purpose of this site is to specialize in the Science Fiction genre of entertainment. We do this by providing intulectually charged discussions both in these forums, and on our IRC channel.

NiteSciFi also offers paid Web Hosting Packages to everyone, ranging from 100MB of space for just $1 a month, to 1.2GB of space for $5 a month, as well as custom packages. To find out more information, click here.

As well as our Web Hosting Services, NiteSciFi provides free image hosting with up to 2MB per image. You can upload an image at http://hosting.nitescifi.com.

IRC

Q: How do I connect to NiteShdw's IRC channel?

A: The easiest way to connect, and use the channel is to use the Java IRC client.

Alternatively, you can also use any IRC client to connect to us. We're #startrek on irc.rizon.net. Theres a huge step by step tutorial on how to do this with mIRC and Xchat here.

Q: What are the IRC channel rules?

A: You can find the rules for the NiteSciFi IRC Channel here.

Q: Are there any Fservs in the channel?

No, there are no Fservs in the channel, and we are not interested in having any fservs in there at the moment.

Q: Who are the channel bots, and who is in charge of them?

At the moment, there are no bots assigned to the NiteSciFi IRC Channel.

Forums

Q: What are the forum rules?

A: The Forum rules are (and can be found in their entirety here):

1. Stay on topic

-- Please try to keep your responses to threads on topic.  You are welcome to create 'off-topic' and random threads in "General Discussion" for all your off-topic comments.

2. No foul, obscene, or demeaning language.

-- Let's try to keep the site 'family friendly'.  Also, please refrain from making comments regarding race, religion, sexual orientation, or web browser usage.  Some people can be very offended if they are told that Firefox is a c##ppy browser.

3. The Ranking system does not imply any sort of authority

-- The ranking system is designed to show how active a user is in the forums, but in no way does it give that user any special privilege or authority.  Please do not "brag" or attack based on rank.  Doing so will result in posts being deleted, demotion, or a complete removal of the ranking system.

4. Please be kind and curtious in your responses

-- If we are to build a community, let us be helpful and kind to those asking for our assistance.

5. If you attribute a quote to another user, you must only use their words, and not edit the post to distort their meaning. Spoofed posts, which attribute words to somebody who didn't post them will be deleted.

-- It can be deceptive and hurtful. Please don't do this, even if the urge to parody another user is overpowering.

Using a ... snip ... is in good taste when editing a quote for brevity.

Also keep in mind that Private Messages are supposed to be private, and it is concitered to be in very poor taste to publicly post a PM in the forums.

6. Do NOT Post Torrents,  Links to torrents or links to torrent sites.

-- Any post that contains a torrent attachment, a URL to a torrent / torrent site will be deleted, and  the user will be banned, no exceptions. This rule is in place to protect NiteShdw from lawsuits that we have been threatened with.

Also we do not allow information, links, or any other form of posts regarding the other various P2P networks / torrent sites. When in doubt, check with a moderator via PM before posting anything that may get NiteShdw in trouble.

Please remember the words of our beloved Captain and philosopher, Jean-Luc Picard: "We seek to better ourselves"

Let us build a little of our own 24th century utopia here!

Q: What do I do if the forum goes down? I need my sci-fi fix!

A: We have an IRC channel #startrek on irc.rizon.net. Nine times out of ten, somebody on IRC will know what the problem is / make an educated guess, and give the information out. Keep an eye on the topic in the channel, as the channel operators update it regularly to reflect the status of all aspects of the site.

Q: How can I tell who's a forum Moderator / Administrator?

A: To see a list of the forum staff, please check the Staff List.

Starfleet Command: Administrates NiteSciFi.com and moderates the entire forum.

Chief of Operations: Moderates the entire NiteSciFi forum.

Starfleet Security: Moderates specialized sections of the forum.

Ambassadors: These members are former staff members (Moderators or administrators) who have since left the community.

Q: What are Forum Rankings, and how are they assigned to people?

A: The full explanation, is found here.

Q: Why did my post got deleted / edited / moved?

A: Moderators will delete / edit any post that they feel violates the forum rules. 99% of the time there will either be a note in the thread the offending post was made in, a private message formal warning sent to the offender (only in extreme cases), or both. If your post was moved, this is because the poster posted a question or comment in the wrong area (eg. asking for a reseed for a Doctor Who season in the Star Trek discussion area, etc).

The Administrators keep a record of all moderator actions in the event of a "he said - she said / my word against his" scenario.

IN ADDITION: All deleted posts and topics are archived in a hidden section of the forum, in the event a post or topic needs to be restored.