Warp Drive Possible!!

VonHelton

well yes and no.

If this is the case tho surely this distortion will riple out thru space for hundreds of light years and would not the earth (presuming we start on earth) be subjected to these enormous gravitational fields such that there would be no earth left to return to?

warp like in ST where you can just push the warp sepped button in where in the universe isnt possible

we have to have a safe distance from massive bodies ie stars and planets but the gravitational field will not eat earth if it is far enough "not very far evern by astronomical distances" im not a physicist but i would say that we would need to be probably outside the solar system. this seems very hard today because getting outside sol is hard enough, but with advances in usual non FTL travel are bound to happen, not very far from today "decades not days" we would be able to leave sol in like a month or so, yes it is long and will make the ST scenarion hard. but as i see it if all these things are true we will not build or keep starships near planets probably stations would be on the outskirts of sol and there would be non FTL ships to ferry us from stations to planets. the way i see it ships in the space would not be like we handle travel on earth today, it will be close to how we traveled on earth like during the 18th century, it would take relatively long times to get from place to place but managable times. for instance if we had an armada we would not keep it all in one place we would place it in alot of strategic places so that there would always be a ship "relatively" close by if needed. this may seem wierd as people expect technology to make our life easier make stuff take shorter times and less efoort, this is only true because pretty much we do the same activities, we listin to music since god knows when, tech made it easy to get music to listen to it in high quality anywhere anytime but we still essentially hear music.

but space travel is something we barely do if the universe is the ocean we havent even put our toe in the water we are barely standing near the water.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree except to point out that even very brief exposure to a massive gravity well strong enough to 'Warp Space" would at very least alter the orbit of the entire sol system probably even the proxima system at approx. 3.7 light years. Remember Gravity is equal to mass devided by distance(G=M/D). The sun bends space around it ever so slighlty and it's gravity field extends over 30 billion km - imagine the range of a gravity field from a singularity strong enough to warp all known matter and energy beyond what we currently call the universe. All the dark energy (vacuum energy - same as zero piont module stuff) in between galaxys isn't that strong.

actually gravity is proportionat to mass over the square of distance. and alos what makes a singularity a singularity is not is big mass. it is its mass density. we can make a singularity out of an atom if we crush it down to the size of a quark for instance. and the gravity it exerts on bodies would remain the same until bodies get close to the event of horizon. for our sun to be a singularity we would have to smash it down to about the size of a coin. now if this singularity is paved at exactly the same point where our sun is right now our planets could orbit it in the same way they orbit our sun and at the same distances.

i have the math to prove that but it is really complicated to wite it here using the limited abilities of HTML.

i am working on doing it, give me a few days though.

if what you were saying was true then planets we have obeserved orbiting black holes could not exist "ok we only think they are orbiting black holes but it is a good guess"

opps theres a square in there (G=M/D2) my mistake and a silly one at that

I am not suggesting that you can't oribit a singularity (provided your are outside the event horrizon) merely that if a artificial singularity 'popped' into existance it would have an affect on steller masses even at 4 light years distant, possibly changing the orbit of an entire star system and that might not be a good thing

It's all very interesting speculation in any event

no 4 light years is too much you can be alot closer and not be affected.

yes it would have an effect but a small one, you said it yourself there are stars about 4-6 light years away from us, i dont see them affecting us that much.

of course again i may have had an extensive college studies in physics but i didnt major in it so im not a 100% sire espicially that even nobel lauriates aren't. "not saying that i desrve a nobel or anything".