TV should be free

theaveng

Public Service = Gov't Controlled. Can you imagine if George Bush was running USA-TV???? (the horror) Everyday we'd wake up & hear how Bush tapped telephone lines & what a great idea it is. (NOTE: I don't think Bill Clinton-TV would be any better. Nor do I really like the BBC's pro-goverment biased coverage.)

I'll say it again... I don't live in USA or China... ;)

You forgot to read this?: About Public Service in *Americansky*

Commercial channels are obviously biased. Yes. BUT since we have *hundreds* of them, all we need to do is switch back & forth. Listen to Rush Limbaugh ®. Listen to CNN (D). Figure the truth is somewhere in the middle (aka Fox News).

Yes I think Commercial TV is biased.

but...

Who owns these *hundreds* of channels? (Are your options truly that many?)

Don't forget the very few Media Corporations that own all these channels.

Some more about PSTV...

Public Service in the European Union: EBU

And current active members: Active Members of EBU

I belive that Public Service TV forces Commercial TV to be less biased. :)

Sorry, little billy - this isn't America, we don't work on an incestuous backhander political system where money turns the wheels.

I have to agree with Tenebrae here' date=' you're arguing about something you just do not understand, but feel free to continue.[/quote']

Yes well, I notice Europeans doing the same in regard to the United States. "Emperor Bush". "American idiots" "U.S. is trying to rule the world" "Jackbooted Americans goose-stepping in Iraq" and so on.

It's difficult for me to hear you say, "You don't understand us", when I hear insults flying past my ear about my nation & culture. Understanding works BOTH ways.

Maybe I'd be more inclined to listen, if you (plural you) would stop insulting my way of life. Got it?

:)

Thomas Jefferson said, "The Supreme Court justices are as interested in power & privilege as any other men, and just as prejudiced towards their own personal viewpoints." i.e. Biased. He was right. And I think that sentence could also be applied to the BBC Governors.

Yes I know I'm an outsider, but sometimes outsiders can see things that insiders have not noticed. In school I studied, "America from a foreign perspective" and it was very eye-opening. I tihnk some Europeans could use a "Europe from a foreign perspective" as well. Well, I'm a foreigner. Instead of insulting me, why don't you try listening? Maybe, as I did when I took that course, you'll learn something new about yourself.

The topic for this thread is "TV should be free", not "Bash the States / EU / Other countries ways of doing things related to TV"

The topic isn;t WILDLY out of control just yet, so lets all make an effort to keep it that way, alright?

Commercial channels are obviously biased. Yes. BUT since we have *hundreds* of them' date=' all we need to do is switch back & forth. Listen to Rush Limbaugh ®. Listen to CNN (D). Figure the truth is somewhere in the middle (aka Fox News).[/quote']

Yes I think Commercial TV is biased. but... Who owns these *hundreds* of channels? (Are your options truly that many?)

No, looking at ownership it narrows to a few dozen. (Which is still alot more than ONE bbc station.) Besides the 15 local stations I receive over the antenna, there's the 6 national networks NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB. For the ~75% of Americans who own cable, there's FoxNews (which is actually independent of Fox), CNN, and MSNBC. Also we've got Christian networks like CBN who are run by Pat Robertson or Trinity who are run by the Roman Catholic Church.

Oh, and I forgot the gov't-owned stations PBS (which is almost as biased as listening to Pat), the CBC, and the BBC. TOTAL - 30. (And that was just off the top of my head. I didn't count independent stations like the History Channel, Learning Channel, etcetera, etcetera)

Plus there's the Talk Radio which is waaaay too many corporations to list here. It's in the hundreds. And ranges from ultra-right conservative to ultra-left liberal.

No' date=' looking at ownership it narrows to a few dozen. (Which is still alot more than [b']ONE[/b] bbc station.) Besides the 15 local stations I receive over the antenna, there's the 6 national networks NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB. For the ~75% of Americans who own cable, there's FoxNews (which is actually independent of Fox), CNN, and MSNBC. Also we've got Christian networks like CBN who are run by Pat Robertson or Trinity who are run by the Roman Catholic Church.

Oh, and I forgot the gov't-owned stations PBS (which is almost as biased as listening to Pat), the CBC, and the BBC. TOTAL - 30. (And that was just off the top of my head. I didn't count independent stations like the History Channel, Learning Channel, etcetera, etcetera)

I've watched the news by CNN, FoxNews, BBC and several other countries English news.

Sometimes the news are one-sided and they tend to report the *current popular opinion* and often totally disregards the un-popular opposite views of the same news. Since the news are a part of a Commercial TV they must attract viewers and the best way of doing that is by giving the *popular* news and if possible aviod offending the viewer.

Given time the *current popular opinion* sometimes changes and usually when that happens the un-popular opinion becomes the new *current popular opionion*. The *amazing* thing about this is that they report these *old un-popular* news as if these are new, when infact these facts where available a long time ago, but where dropped for the simple reason. They were not *popular* and therefore doesn't attract viewers and generate income to the Commercial TV. I have seen this happen on CNN, FOXnews, ABCnews, MSNBC, etc. and occasionally even on BBC and, yes, Swedish TV (SVT).

Sometimes it's quite amusing to watch the *old* news and see if the opinion has changed. And sometimes it's still the same, but not always, but that's another topic... ;)

You may be right, but there are plenty of alternative sources (like Rush Limbaugh) who enjoy going *against* the popular opinion.

That's the advantage of having ~40 different Media Owners running commercial TV... you get to hear more than just one source. The British only have one source (that i know of).