Europeans - How much did you Pay in taxes (ALL taxes) last year?

theaveng

(Note: You don't have to answer if you'd rather keep your finances quiet.)

I added up ALL my taxes last year. Gasoline. Phone. Electric. Sales. Car. Property. School Tax. And of course Income Tax. I ended up paying $16,000 or about ~35% of my total income. Insane.

How much did those of you living in Europe pay?

UK is generally expensive!!

income tax between 20% and 40% deppening if your rich or not.

local council tax $170 a month for a 3 bedroom house (not a posh one at that)

Cigerrettes - between $7 - $9 per pack of 20

Beer (if your going out to a bar) - $5 a bottle/pint

Petrol (gas) - $1.80 a litre

So if I lived in the UK, I'd probably have paid an extra $7,000 income tax + an extra $2,000 in sales/gas/phone/et cetera taxes = $25,000 = ~55% of my total income.

Ouch.

Did I do my math correctly? I think I did, but it's hard-to-tell.

In norway its between 30%ish and 49%, then you pay 24.9% tax on everythin you buy except books, and 12.45 on food. then there is Gasoline/petrol wich about 80-83% of the total price is tax. then its owning a car tax wich depends on the age of the car, then there is owning a TV tax. then there is alot more taxes. and the funny thing is we still make enough money to sometimes save up.

We have taxes for everything and then some

In norway its between 30%ish and 49%' date=' then you pay 24.9% tax on everythin you buy except books, and 12.45 on food. [/quote']

Does having a high Sales tax create a huge black market (tax-free goods)?

I hear from my old Nordish friend, Norway is great for laying around & doing nothing. The government was paying his friend welfare "because he's too lazy to go get a job". Sweet.

The UK has the best benefit system in the world thats why everyone wants to live here. The British government have helped me increase my sc-fi DVD collection to well over 200 titles..............and they say some people abuse the system........sheeeeeeesh.

the problem with tax in the UK is that there are a lot of stealth taxs. Damn that Gordan Brown!

The UK has the best benefit system in the world thats why everyone wants to live here.

correction: The UK has the stupidist benefit system in the world thats why everyone wants to live here.

EDIT: to answer the thread question. I pay too much.

just a thought but does anyone think that they dont pay enough tax?

just a thought but does anyone think that they dont pay enough tax?

Actually, yes. Not joking here, I seriously believe that US citizens pay far too little in taxes, both federal and local. We have an insanely low tax rate here, and the system gets more favorable the more money you have. Any conscientious society must necessarily have a high tax rate, to fund government programs, by which I do NOT mean military. But, I am changing the subject, aren't I?

But, yes. I believe that Americans in general, and myself in particular, are paying far too little in taxes. This is why I vote for tax increases, whensoever they have real benefit, even if I disagree with the proposed method of distribution of the funds.

I had to search for a while and I found it: declaration of income taxes year 2004.

I paid ~33% income tax.

If you count all taxes for every buck earned and spent.

Counting all the steps: employers fee (tax), income tax, sales tax etc...

I think the cumulative tax is ~60%.

Thank god I'm not loaded, cause then I would have paid a Fortune Tax.

I seriously believe that US citizens pay far too little in taxes' date=' both federal and local. We have an insanely low tax rate here, and the system gets more favorable the more money you have. [/quote']

My grandfather, when he was my age payed ZERO income taxes (that would have been the 1920s). And yet, the United States still seemed to function okay. So what changed? Spending increased. [Correction - WASTEFUL spending increased. Funding nonsense like studying how butterflies fly or planting roses down the middle of the Interstate. Why are we wasting money on such trivial nonsense, when we have hungry people laying in the street???]

Also it's a popular myth the the richer you are, the less you pay. Here's the Fact:

99% of all Income taxes collected by the U.S. IRS are funded by the top 1% of wage earners (people earning $500,000 or more). (source: IRS website) Put another way, people earning less than $500,000 are only supporting 1% of the U.S. Treasury.

99% of all Income taxes collected by the U.S. IRS are funded by the top 1% of wage earners (people earning $500' date='000 or more).[/b'] (source: IRS website) Put another way, people earning less than $500,000 are only supporting 1% of the U.S. Treasury.

There's the problem. They can't support everyone by themselves the wealhty 1% needs help. A more evenly distributed wealth among the population might help those unfortunate and desperate people.

The poor mans basic needs are the same as everyone elses.

What was the point of that sarcasm? Surely you're not suggesting lowering taxes on the rich??? What a dumb idea.

Point was to get you're attention. ;)

No I'm suggesting raising the taxes for everyone (incl. the rich) making more than 50-66% of an average income. And somehow transfer those to the not so wealthy 0-33% of the population.

Or use those extra $gazillion to build more missiles and other weapons and bomb the crap out of innocent 3rd world poor people. :stare: (sarcasm :))

Sometimes you're not that easy to read either, but that's OK with me. :)

99% of all Income taxes collected by the U.S. IRS are funded by the top 1% of wage earners (people earning $500,000 or more). (source: IRS website) Put another way, people earning less than $500,000 are only supporting 1% of the U.S. Treasury.

Fortunatelly for the rich people, the Treasury is not comprised only from Income Taxes, but also from profit taxes on companies and banks and all other sorts of taxes.. 'Cause you realise, US would not have this budget if that were the case. :) Most of the money a country has (in terms of budgets, reserves and so on) are made from the business taxes. So do not worry about your boss if he's making over $500k a year: he'll be not supporting anyone's wellfare.

Cheers!

PS: BTW, in my country, all the crieterias taken into account by you guys make up somewhere over 60%. So ya', maybe you do not pay that much in the US.

Fortunatelly for the rich people' date=' the Treasury is not comprised only from Income Taxes, but also from profit taxes on companies and banks and all other sorts of taxes.. 'Cause you realise, US would not have this budget if that were the case. :)[/quote']

What sorts of "other business taxes" are you referring to? Capital gains (stocks) taxes? I don't think they earn that much money off of stocks?

Also, the profit a company earns would fall under the U.S. income tax.

troy

Basically you can favour 2 approaches to tax. As I like to think of them the RIGHT way and the WRONG way.

The RIGHT way is a small state, taxing only enough to allow it to correct market defects and provide public goods.

The WRONG way is the large state taxing a lot to support its own massive inefficiency and corruption.