Plot + Character Development + Sci-FI = Bad Sci-Fi?

Tenebrae

SNIPPET:

Neither was Voyager's character development worthy of praise. The so-called "adults" acted like a bunch of children most of the time.

You should know about that being an expert Troy.

SNIPPET:

TNG = intelligent. V'ger = Simplistic.

TROY = Redundant.

SNIPPET:

Learn comprehension Tenebrae & read what I actually said.

Good advice...but only if you follow it yourself.

c4 B)

Essentially the fact people seem to dismiss Farscape and BSG and similar because they're "soap operas" is what caused me to start this thread.

I love farscape and would never dismiss it as soap opera. Galactica on the other hand I have dismissed as soap opera. There is a difference between Character developement and Character interaction. Just because a program is heavy on dialouge or any other kind of intercourse doesn't mean that the characters are developing anything.

I love farscape and would never dismiss it as soap opera.

Galactica on the other hand I have dismissed as soap opera. There is a difference between Character developement and Character interaction. Just because a program is heavy on dialouge or any other kind of intercourse doesn't mean that the characters are developing anything.

Quoted For Truth.

Farscape = nice. I really need to watch the whole thing sometime.

What I think they need more often in new series is -multi episode stories-! That's what made the original Doctor Who so friggin' great, and I hope they keep up the tradition with a lot of 2 or even 3 episode stories. Also, a show is NOT a serial imho if virtually all episodes have events that appear and are wrapped up all at in one episode (i.e. most of every Star Trek series...). 40-45 minutes short credits is -just- not long enough!

Also, character development and character interaction ARE different. Without the development, it's just the same type of dialogue over and over because the -characters- are the same every conversation. If a show runs for a while, actual character development makes everything that much more interesting and encourages people to see what happened before in reruns / on DVD!

*sigh* Too many new shows are written with the assumption that people will only see one particular episode, and that sort of writing makes for disjointed stories with little development.

Besides, multi-episode stories and genuine character development would get many people interested in seeing the rest of the show if they missed it (i.e. DVD SALES!)

... of course, nothing can save a series that just is crappily written or acted...