Stargate Worlds announced

Mav

Stargate Worlds provides players with a form of ranged combat unique to MMORPG that will take full advantage of modern and science fiction weaponry, cover, and terrain. Players will be able to form squads with their friends or use bots for players who want to go solo. Squad leaders will control maneuvers and objectives through an innovative combat control interface. Players may choose to create characters that are members of either the SGC (the Good Guys) or the System Lords (the Bad Guys).

Sounds pretty damn good. Though I do wish they had included more races to play ass, such as the free Jaffa Nation, Asgard, Tok'ra etc. I might just end up having to divide my game time between this and ST:O ;p

I hate online gaming because I won't pay to play a game once I've shelled out to buy it. :o Although having said that ST:O looks interesting..

This probably will die on it's arse, it seems to be too much of a niche product to be viable... I don't know too many non fans (if any at all) that would pay to play this and I don't think that there are enough fans willing to pay to make a profit. I don't see it even making it of the drawing board.

Actually it seems like a niche market but in reality science fiction in an MMORPG is a quite profitable. There are very few real science fiction MMO's out there. A few blend in some aspects of science fiction but aren't. Look at Eve Online. Despite what people think of the game itself, most tend to agree based on it's user base it has been quite successful with plenty of people playing it and the developers making money from it. Not every MMO has to be an Everquest like game that meerly rips off AD&D in some fashion. And considering how SG-1 has lasted 9 seasons with a 10th planned, I think it's safe to say there is a userbase on the internet for such a game.

Actually it seems like a niche market but in reality science fiction in an MMORPG is a quite profitable. There are very few real science fiction MMO's out there. A few blend in some aspects of science fiction but aren't. Look at Eve Online. Despite what people think of the game itself' date=' most tend to agree based on it's user base it has been quite successful with plenty of people playing it and the developers making money from it. Not every MMO has to be an Everquest like game that meerly rips off AD&D in some fashion. And considering how SG-1 has lasted 9 seasons with a 10th planned, I think it's safe to say there is a userbase on the internet for such a game. [/quote']

I don't think so... non fans will see the 'Stargate' name, assume it's for 'nerds' and run for the hills... this will only appeal to fans (and a sub set of fans who want to pay). It won't be viable, won't make it to actual game.

• 2 weeks later...