Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes.

TetsuoShima

Gaining root access to a Mac is "easy pickings," according to an individual who won an OS X hacking challenge last month by gaining root control of a machine using an unpublished security vulnerability.

On February 22, a Sweden-based Mac enthusiast set his Mac Mini as a server and invited hackers to break through the computer's security and gain root control, which would allow the attacker to take charge of the computer and delete files and folders or install applications.

For the complete article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac_OS_X_hacked_in_less_than_30_minutes/0,2000061744,39241748,00.htm

So far for the secure 'feeling' of an Apple.... :D

Yeah' date=' that was the original OS 10. Just wait for the x86 version. I hear it knows when you hack it and gives you a message that says something along the lines of "It's not nice to hack." Funny stuff.[/quote']

Well it was version 10.4.5 for those to whom those number mean something... It was the most recent at the time (and still at this moment afaik, though I did hear something about a new security update released today). But from the tone of the article it would seem that hackers think that OS X is even worse than windows in security...

Well, just look at those two big trojans or worms or whatever they were that hit the mac-osphere. mac os didn't do much to protect against those.

i think the hackers are only going after mac os because it's more popular now. why hack an os that no one cares about?

I think it's fair to say that the greatest thing that Macs had going in their favour security wise wasn't anything to do with software, it was down to the fact that a lot of people held Macs in contempt and generally, they represented a tiny fraction of computers.

Of course, now that there are more of them about - they are being targetted more by the bad men and their bad touch is discovering the vulnerabilities.

That's how I see it anyway.

It's just like how Firefox had some vulnerabilites that came to light as it grew in popularity.