Stupid government bans...wtf

motoxjesse

While I do not know if hyperactivity would be the best word to use for the result of too much sugar I can say that it does cause more energy (a spike in blood sugar will do that). In excess amounts over long periods of time it can also cause diabetes.

The latest information I've seen says that late onset diabetes is caused by high fat intake, not high sugar intake, as was previously thought.

Aspartame is not an amino acid' date=' it is a combination of the amino acids phenylalanine and aspartic acid and a third compound methanol. Aspartame does not occur naturally in the body.[/quote']

That's the first I've heard of that. It was one of my professors, a neuropsychologist, who first told me it was made from aspartic acid. Nonetheless, he also expressed concerns about it at that time.

Unlike aspartame, cholesterol is a naturally occuring substance and vital in the body, though it is misleading to say that cholesterol is only a problem for some people. Increased intake of cholesterol could lead anyone to atheromatous. Just because a compound occurs naturally in the body doesn't mean it isn't dangerous in excessive amounts. Iron is natural in the body but too much of that causes stomach scarring and comas. The same goes for any fat soluble vitamin and many other metals (selenium).

I didn't say excessive amounts. I was assuming moderate consumption, and only pointing out that for some people, even consuming small amounts is a problem.

The point is not that any of these things will always cause trouble all of the time. It is that if there is this much evidence building up against it - why take the chance? Why put the people we care about in danger if we don't have to?

We should all stop driving too, as that's the leading cause of road accidents. People can always choose not to consume aspartame, or to consume less until the facts are certain.

We should all stop driving too, as that's the leading cause of road accidents. People can always choose not to consume aspartame, or to consume less until the facts are certain.

I wasn't trying to say that we should just stop doing everything that is dangerous. I do not think that we should stop eating any more than I think we should stop driving. But I do think that there shouldnt be street racing as it is a clear and unecessary risk. Similarly, I do not think that its necessary to replace natural sweetners with artificial ones just to pad the pocket of people who already have more than they need. Are their profits worth your kids health?

Are their profits worth your kids health?

Well, I don't have kids and am not going to at this late stage, but when I was a kid we weren't allowed koolaid because of the sugar. Sugar is certainly bad for your teeth, which is the reason I avoid it whenever possible. It is difficult to avoid, however, as it's added to everything, along with a lot of other junk that I'm sure we'd be better off without. If aspartame does get outlawed, I'm sure that the search for a substitute is going to be a hot one.

The FDA receives more complaints related to aspartame than any other food additive. Concerns about aspartame frequently revolve around symptoms and health conditions that are allegedly caused by the sweetener. The 92 health effects reported to the FDA are: abdominal pain' date=' anxiety attacks, arthritis, asthma, asthmatic reactions, bloating/edema, blood sugar control problems (hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia), brain cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals), breathing difficulties, burning eyes or throat, burning urination, inability to think clearly, chest pains, chronic cough, chronic fatigue, confusion, death, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, excessive thirst or hunger, fatigue, feeling 'unreal', flushing of face, hair loss (baldness) or thinning of hair, headaches/migraines, hearing loss, heart palpitations, hives (Urticaria), hypertension (high blood pressure), impotency and sexual problems, inability to concentrate, infection susceptibility, insomnia, irritability, itching, joint pains, laryngitis, "like thinking in a fog," marked personality changes, memory loss, menstrual problems or changes, muscle spasms, nausea or vomiting, numbness or tingling of extremities, other allergic-like reactions, panic attacks, phobias, poor memory, rapid heartbeat, rashes, seizures and convulsions, slurring of speech, swallowing pain, tachycardia, tremors, tinnitus, vertigo, vision loss, and weight gain. [/quote']

This list sums up the side-effects for placebo and we all know how dangerous placebo pills are these days. ;)

placebos are dangerous because people believe that they are doing something to their body and so they force their body to manifest that in a physical way...not really sure what doctors you have but I have never had a doctor tell me, "now when you drink this diet pepsi you should feal vertigo and have panic attacks"...

This list sums up the side-effects for placebo and we all know how dangerous placebo pills are these days. ;)

The placebo effect is a component of every medical treatment you receive. For example, placebo capsules are more effective than placebo pills, and placebo injections more effective than placebo capsules. Red placebo capsules are uppers and blue ones have a calming effect. The strongest placebo reaction comes from placebo surgery.

Hence, whenever you get a 'real' treatment, the placebo effect comes into play, as the nature and form of the treatment affects the outcome. When consciously applied, the placebo affect can have very positive results. For example, having a person in a white coat hold your hand can help make you feel better. This is a physiologial effect. It reduces your anxiety (which decreases your pain and discomfort), lowers your heart rate and blood pressure, and helps speed your recovery.

The physical impact is real, which is the reason drugs that supposedly contain active ingredients are tested against substances that are known not to have the desired effect.

Note that this does not mean that I am suggesting that people's reactions to aspartame are placebo effects.