This Essay Breaks the Law

MrDad

• The Earth revolves around the Sun.

• The speed of light is a constant.

• Apples fall to earth because of gravity.

• Elevated blood sugar is linked to diabetes.

• Elevated uric acid is linked to gout.

• Elevated homocysteine is linked to heart disease.

• Elevated homocysteine is linked to B-12 deficiency, so doctors should test homocysteine levels to see whether the patient needs vitamins.

ACTUALLY, I can't make that last statement. A corporation has patented that fact, and demands a royalty for its use. Anyone who makes the fact public and encourages doctors to test for the condition and treat it can be sued for royalty fees. Any doctor who reads a patient's test results and even thinks of vitamin deficiency infringes the patent. A federal circuit court held that mere thinking violates the patent.

Full Story

• The Earth revolves around the Sun.

• The speed of light is a constant.

• Apples fall to earth because of gravity.

• Elevated blood sugar is linked to diabetes.

• Elevated uric acid is linked to gout.

• Elevated homocysteine is linked to heart disease.

• Elevated homocysteine is linked to B-12 deficiency, so doctors should test homocysteine levels to see whether the patient needs vitamins.

ACTUALLY, I can't make that last statement. A corporation has patented that fact, and demands a royalty for its use. Anyone who makes the fact public and encourages doctors to test for the condition and treat it can be sued for royalty fees. Any doctor who reads a patient's test results and even thinks of vitamin deficiency infringes the patent. A federal circuit court held that mere thinking violates the patent.

Full Story

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

This is some of the "crazy" stuff covered at the U I went to if you ever would publish an article to make sure that you don't infringe on patents, trademarks, etc...

Also if you read a basic text book in medicine you won't find the word Adrenaline (syn. Ephinephrine), since it's a registred trademark even though it has been around for decades before in common use before it was registred. That's even more stupid, stupid, stupid...

Oops I think I might used a registred trademark. :o

ps. The essay breaks another law... :thinking:

I really feel that there needs to be international action to stop this petty abuse of trademark, copyright and patenting and various other forms of intellectual property law.

Now - obviously these laws exist for a reason, that being the incentive for research etc. but it seems that more and more frequently, pointless and frivolous use of these laws by big corporations to add to their profits at the cost of lesser corporations and the common man are being made - to our detriment.

See GOGOGO pointless lawsuit!

Guest c4evap

I was gonig to comment on this topic...but just as I began typing there was a knock on my front door. It was a lawyer with a cease and desist order stating my thoughts on this subject violated the holders patent.

So...no comment...

c4 :p

These stupid patents far from being incentives to progress are in fact a hinderance.

If the patent department existed 500 years ago then everytime someone became pregnant several patent holders would have to be financially recompensed for copyright infringemant. If i was to fart i would infringe a copyright on the natural production of methane by the human body. Our prisons would be full of copyright infringers while the murderers and rapists would be free to walk the streets.

Of course this wouldnt happen because patents expire. So why have them at all.... obviously to line the pockets of some businessman who has stolen an idea from someone else and patented it (I'm thinking of michael Faraday as i write this... oh and thomas edison too for that matter).

I do not understand why it is so easy to obtain a patent? How can one patent the laws of nature (DNA)? Patent law is getting way out of control. I should patent the "Quick Reply" box on forums and sue all forum programmers for using it. It's a NATURAL INNOVATION. It's just the next logical step, nothing radically new.

Did you all hear that Amazon.com tried to (sucessfully?) patent the One-Click Shopping option? Give me a break! So you save some user data in your system to speed up the next time they shop. How is that an invention?

But how do we little people stop it? It's the deep pockets that pay Washington to make laws that benefit a few and harm the entire economy (Can anyone say agriculture subsidies).

I'm awaiting some super mega corporation to pop out of the wood work, with full documentation that they have patented and/or copywritten the word "the".

In one massive sweep, this company will sue basically our entire planet for patent and/or copyright infringement and demand royalties.

Reminds me how Donald Trump tried to copyright/patent the phrase "You're fired."

We live in a world where new thoughts and new ideas are a precious commodity. How long until someone patents young children scribbling on paper with crayons? How long until you can no longer whistle because it might possibly sound like some obscure musical instrament or sound? You watch, there will come a day when we cannot even think of something along those lines without that itself (thinking of it) breaking the law :(

Guest c4evap

LEGAL PUBLIC NOTICE: I, c4evap, have this day patented the name c4evap. It may not be used in a reply to my posts, in a PM, email or any other type or form of communication. It may not be used in any way other than the way I want it, which is no way. Violaters will be beaten about the head and shoulders and fined mighty heavily. My lawyers are watching!

AMEN

c4 :cyclops:

Other notable cases of idiotic patents (or as I like to call them idiotants (patent pending)) Microsoft and double-clicking on PDAs and BT and their amazing hyperlinks!

Imagine that - every time you double clicked or clicked a link - YOU GOTTA PAY.

Frankly, the idea of being able to patent things like DNA - things that aren't made but FOUND... beggars belief. It's reason like this people vote Galactic Empires into power.

A notice to the aforementioned forum user with the patented name, could you refrain from using religious terminology in your post this is an infringement of the ealiest patent of all now cough up your coffers into the collection tray thankyou.

PS i would point out that due to the legal technicalities of the use of certain divine names i am not a practitioner of and neither do i endorse the aforementioned manifestations whether they exist or not is neither a matter of due consequence or aforementioned brandishing of objects and using repetitive motions to enduce undisirable feelings on any hereto unmentioned members or non members of the hitherto unmentionable community is neither endorsed or restricted regarding section 528 subsection 51c paragraph 4 of the policies and endorsemnets of unmentionable named members act of 2006.

Ill tell you where this is leading (if its not stopped) - directly to fascism. when people will not be able to normally do everyday things without paying for it. just wait a couple of decades..
It will give new meaning to the old phrase 'my two cents worth'.

I use the phrase my twopence worth which coincidentaly is the amount of money that i had to dispense in a slot every time i needed to goto the toilet while in a city when i was younger i think inflation has driven this cost up however but i always used to think of shakespeare when i was in the city

two pee or not two pee that is the question

Guest c4evap
A notice to the aforementioned forum user with the patented name, could you refrain from using religious terminology in your post this is an infringement of the ealiest patent of all now cough up your coffers into the collection tray thankyou.

Ah...I forgot to mention I have also patented the word "aforementioned". Dude, you now owe me some mighty big buckarinos.

For future reference...I've also patented the words "terminology", "infringement" and "patent".

c4 © 2006 ~ patent pending :cyclops:

Ok before i cant say anything, I legally declare typing to be a copyright (hehehe you missed that one) any members caught typing will have to pay me all their wealth and any copyrights they own. I also claim the word copyright as a copyright in itself :p

There is some confusion here between patents, trademarks, and copyright. They are all a little different (for example, Trump wanted to trademark "You're fired", you can't patent a voice pattern). Regardless, they have all been extended far beyond their original intent and now hinder economic progress much more than they help it.

Guest c4evap
Ok before i cant say anything' date=' I legally declare typing to be a copyright (hehehe you missed that one) any members caught typing will have to pay me all their wealth and any copyrights they own. I also claim the word copyright as a copyright in itself :p[/quote']

Dude...you blew it right outta the gate. I own the copyright on the word OK. OK? I also own the copyright on the letter "Y" so you can't own the word copYright. Use of any word with a "Y" in it infringes on my copyright.

NOTE: Just to be on the safe side...I have also copyrighted the phrase "copyleft". So don't get any ideas!

c4 :p