Price of DVD's in your country

gjnave

I live in S. Africa (although I come from the USA) and you would be shocked (well... shocked if you're from the USA or UK) at the prices of DVD's and CD's here. A new CD generally costs around $30 US and a DVD $30-$40.

How much in your country?

Depends on what's on it really.... :D

But I'm guessing you want to know about the 'popular' stuff.

So that would be about $25 for a CD and $35 for a DVD....

Way to expensive imo, certainly if you consider that transport and production cost are nearly negligable, it's all 'creative cost' (overpaid entertainment industry) and pure profit, aside from the taxes of course...

Im not shocked, im from the UK and the normal price of some DVD's from places like HMV and virgin is rediculous, i saw galaxy quest in hmv for £16.99 how long has that movie been out for? £16.99 = $30.27

Well actually if you look on the HMV website - they're selling much newer DVD's for like £13:99 - but thar seems to be an online deal - but probably better than going to the shop and paying more

Wow... it seems pretty expensive everywhere (by the way... remember to mention what country your buying in).

It seems to me that in the USA that for the popular stuff you pay $20-$25 for DVD's and $18 for music CD's (?).. i've been out of the USA for awhile though.. has it changed?

Damn all the internet pirates for making the poor music & movie industries *HAVE* to raise their prices to keep food on the table. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c4evap

The cheapest store to get DVDs in my area of upstate NY (USA) is BestBuy. Most new releases can be had for $19.99 (without tax). However, any Star Trek stuff still gets top dollar. That's why I've been getting the more expensive stuff on Ebay (mostly used). Got some great deals. Just picked up The complete 3 seasons of TOS for (including shipping) $212.00 (got lucky on this one - the set is new and still sealed!). WHOOT!!!

NICE!

c4 :D

New DVD movies cost $25 - $35 USD and old ones as low as $10 USD.

Complete seasons of TNG cost $120 USD (retail) which is way to much for my taste and wallet.

It seems that the prices are about the same in most contries and that might be thanks to the internet, but they really should start lowering the prices if they want to compete with downloading.