American Congress Moves Toward Stricter DMCA

Tenebrae

Abandon all hope

Yeah, to anyone that says you can't buy what you want in the USA... well, I don't think the fellows on Capitol Hill were doing this favour to the RIAA and MPAA for free. I don't like the slippery slope type argument... but it's clear to see that this "minor revision" could easily pave the way for another. Of course, that's more of a slow creep toward what the RIAA/MPAA want rather than anything.

Yet another crushing blow to innovation and freedom... with any luck, it won't pass through. You would think the 'it funds terrorism' bit would be getting VERY old by now, but guess what...? "Everyone should be monitored at all times, because being unmonitored helps the terrorists! Be sure to turn in your neighbors if you think they're doing anything terrorist related because anyone could be a terrorist! Be a patriot and pay the 50% everything tax, because you're a terrorist if you don't support your country in it's time of need!"

Is there anything they can't do with the 'it supports terrorism' line? -_-'...

Edit:

Even the current wording of the DMCA has alarmed security researchers. Ed Felten, the Princeton professor, told the Copyright Office last month that he and a colleague were the first to uncover the so-called "rootkit" on some Sony BMG Music Entertainment CDs--but delayed publishing their findings for fear of being sued under the DMCA. A report prepared by critics of the DMCA says it quashes free speech and chokes innovation.

Jessica Litman, who teaches copyright law at Wayne State University, views the DMCA expansion as more than just a minor change. "If Sony had decided to stand on its rights and either McAfee or Norton Antivirus had tried to remove the rootkit from my hard drive, we'd all be violating this expanded definition," Litman said.

>_<... urgh. 'We will install root kits in your system and such, and even talking about them will mean we can sue your arse off! Oh, and you Linux users who want to watch DVDs in your operating system of choice are now even MORE screwed!' Evil...

The irony is that P2P probably REDUCES the amount of money that goes to terrorists/organised crime because one assumes that people that would buy bootlegged copies would shun them for the more free material available online.

The irony is that P2P probably REDUCES the amount of money that goes to terrorists/organised crime because one assumes that people that would buy bootlegged copies would shun them for the more free material available online.

makes sense to me. however, a lot of people still don't know how to get it online.

heh, I read that, funny thing is: people actually voted for the bastards trying to pull all this stuff on us... So I'm guessing public general stupidity, indifference, ignorance and pure greed and lust for power are the actual cause of what's been going on lately... :(

heh' date=' I read that, funny thing is: people actually voted for the bastards trying to pull all this stuff on us... So I'm guessing public general stupidity, indifference, ignorance and pure greed and lust for power are the actual cause of what's been going on lately... :([/quote']

...and some of us voted for other people but were outnumbered by the ignorant mobs that provide lobby funding for the idiots that "won".