News: New Game Servers

S0V13T

What? No RTS strategy games ? :(

Yeah, RTS games arn't famous for having dedicated server software. From what I can tell, all the RTS game servers that come up in the ingame server browser / game spy, it's all one player hosting the game, and waiting for clients to connect. Thats kinda why I asked for people to post a link to an actual linux dedicated server application for linux.

I'm working under the assumption that NiteShdw would perfer it if I didn't install Wine / cedgra pakages, (as off the top of my head I can't think of any RTS games that run nativly on a Linux machine) and running a game that would hog all the ram / cpu. Now if somebody, or even a group of people wanted to all take turns hosting some red Alert 2, or Rise of nations or whatever, so I could make a list of possible IP addys for players to connect to, that'd be cool. I'm a big RTS fan too, and I'd love to get some RTSing happening.

I'm liking the idea of Wolfenstine: Enemy Territory. As a linux user, it's one of the few games that are designed to play on linux, with out any kind of hassel to install (as in the game it's self on the client side, AND a seperate server application, for the server side).

It looks like Elite Force 2 is in the lead atm, so I do believe that after work today, I will look into tracking down a dedicated server, and hopefully a stats page program. I've had a ton of experience in the past hosting Q3 based games (Soldier of fortune 2, MOH:AA) So when the server is up and running, it likely woun't be all gimped out as the CS:S server has been known to be :)

Can anyone familiar with EF2 reccomend any decent mods? Like maybe some Jem Hadar, Xindi or want not skins?