And on the 366th day, the Lord said:

TetsuoShima

If you're able, build you're PC from scratch...

The individual parts are usually covered by factory warranties up to 5 years (for free!). The "extended" insurrance is only a cost to cover the sellers arses for future costs (they claim the factory warranty, which you can do yourself for free). If you claim a warranty after a year, which is usually not done, since most computers becomes "obselete" within a couple of years and it's often cheaper and easier to buy a new hdd or whatever breaks down first.

From experiance I have claimed warranties from Quantum, IBM, Seagate and several other companies for hdd's older than 4 years and there was no problems, but it took 1-2 month to get a replacement. On the bonus side the replacements for old hdd's are usually new hdd's (faster, larger), since they don't have any of the old models in storage. ;)

I have worked as a servicetech in the 90s and I used to collect old broken hdd's we had sold (all distributer invoices are needed to make the claim) and when I had 10-20 hdd's (with all necessary invoices) I contacted the company in question and sent them the hdd's the accepted as covered by warranty and I usually sold the replacements as used to "good" customers, for a 90% profit. :)

(sending 1 hdd is not worth the freight cost).