Top Internet Argument Tips!

Tenebrae

1. Smilies are you friend - They'll let you get away with murder!

2. If in doubt, leave it out - Ignore any points you don't like it!

3. Good arguerers copy, the best steal - Don't be afraid to use someone else's work as your own.

4. Non-sequiters - The best way to flummox your enemy.

5. Quantity always beats quality - Drown your opponents with reams of nonsense.

6. Never admit you're wrong - Make sure you backtrack, squirm and out and out lie to avoid the W word.

7. Comedy - Any kind of serious point that threatens you can be disarmed by joking.

8. Vague and bizzare threats - Confuse your enemies scared.

9. One word: thesaurus - Reduce people to tears with a deluge of archaic and abstruse polysyllabic goobldegook.

10. Mountains out of molehills - By concentrating on minutae, you can undermine an otherwise solid argument.

11. Lies, damned lies, statistics and the numbers people make up for forum arguments - Don't miss out.

12. Who needs to know? - Often knowledge is an impediment to an arguement, some of the best debates begin with "I don't know anything about this, but..."

13. The Trojan Horse of agreement - Be a Greek bearing gifts in the form of "I agree with you BUT."

1. Smilies are you friend - they'll let you get away with murder!

5. Quantity always beats quality - drown your opponents with reams of nonsense.

7. Comedy - any kind of serious point that threatens you can be disarmed by joking.

I have to admit that I use 1 in combo with 7 a lot. :rolleyes: ;) :cyclops: :D :p

No 5 is one of the best. With a few posts anyone can start a "battle" and lean back and watch the creation and evolution of yet another no win debate. ;)

Yes, #1 and #7 are very useful.

#1 basically means, 'smile when you say that,' and #7 is useful when you are not sure whether or not you are being insulted but don't wish to get involved in a fight. Another useful rule is to ignore stuff you don't like instead of getting dragged into arguments about it. It took a while for me to learn this, and sometimes I still forget, but it sure saves a lot of time, which can then be wasted on some other trivial thing. ;)

Guest c4evap

2. If in doubt, leave it out - ignore any points you don't like it!

3. Arguments that perplex you - they don't exist!

4. Non-sequiters - the best way to flummox your enemy.

6. Never admit you're wrong - make sure you backtrack, squirm and out and out lie to avoid the W word.

7. Comedy - any kind of serious point that threatens you can be disarmed by joking.

Let me write these down. They seem to work quite well for you ;) <--- proper use of rule #1 and #7.

c4 :D <-- additional use of rule #1.

Guest c4evap

Hey, they're your rules. From small minds come even smaller threads! :p

EDIT: My Gawd...I do believe I'm falling in love :p

c4 :D

2. If in doubt, leave it out - ignore any points you don't like it!

3. Arguments that perplex you - they don't exist!

4. Non-sequiters - the best way to flummox your enemy.

6. Never admit you're wrong - make sure you backtrack, squirm and out and out lie to avoid the W word.

8. Vague and bizzare threats - confuse your enemies scared.

9. One word: thesaurus - reduce people to tears with a deluge of archaic and abstruse polysyllabic goobldegook.

10. Mountains out of molehills - By concentrating on minutae, you can undermine an otherwise solid argument.

11. Lies, damned lies, statistics and the numbers people make up for forum arguments - don't miss out.

For an excellent example of most of these, see the 'History of Copyright Law' topic in Blogs. Get your checklist ready! ;p

It's really quite funny how often people seem to think #1 will make any news ok.

Guy: Hey, by the way - I murdered your family last night and planted evidence to incriminate you. :D LOL!"

Guy 2: LOL! Off to jail for me! :S