The Pro's and Cons of the Linux OS

Megalith

Ok heres the thing. I decided that after an absense of several years to go back to linux.

I initially downloaded Debian but had probs installing so opted for something simpler so got simplyMEPIS but it wont connect to the net cuz of the wireless adapter i use i.e. WG111T.

I thought ok try another Distro and went with Ubuntu 6 (beta) again it worked perfectly accept i couldnt get the adapter to work.

So i scoured the net (using XP) found a few solutions involving ndiswrapper (a windows driver installer for linux) but nope couldnt get it to work.

Now i am gonna try it with SUSE 10.1 and could quite easily give up and think forget it.

So..... anyone here who uses linux got any advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry folks i got it workin with SuSe 10.1 any linux users out there i strongly recommend SuSE 10.1 its free too. set it up and install Xgl puts vista to shame turns youre desktop into a polyhedron, any amount of potential desktops upto 100 become available by rotating the polyhedron. impressive stuff it needs a Graphics card with open GL on it tho but Nvidia is totally compatable. it is typical tho that these peripheral manufacturers cant be bothered to produce drivers for linux.

PS my XP is now repeatedly coming up with a message telling me i have an illegal copy lol looks like Mr Gates has lost yet another disgruntled WinDoze user to Linux.

iv never been a fan of *nix as a desktop system, in the old days when it was "the in thing" i used to use slackware with blackbox, after deciding gnome and KDE were even more bloatware than windows 95 / 98 at the time. right now all my desktops (7 of them) and 2 laptops are windows, but the servers are 2 x FBSD and one Debian. in _my_ opinion windows can NEVER do what *nix can do in the server room like it does, but in the same way, *nix can never do what windows can do as a desktop.

Even with all the features i am using on Linux it still starts up in a 1/3 of the time my windoze does the only good thing about windoze is all my games run on it, if i could play them on Linux i would do away with XP totally.

And the damn pop up about unauthorised copy of windows is ensuring i use it less and less.

My time on the pc recently has not involved playing games (except Blacknova which works in a browser) so i have only switched to XP when i have had problems which is less and less now

PS. I got rid ov SUSE 10.1 on advice from a friend and am now using Kubuntu dapper which i got the wireless card working with in no time at all and the XGL works faster as does the whole OS.

I havent used Linux for over 15 years when it was competition for Win 3.1 and DOS in one package.

One thing Linux has over windoze is what you can do with a system as all the technical requirements are very low hell some of the distro's i havve tried over the past month run from a CD and a tiny (20 Megs) partition space (Puppy is one of these btw)

I have totally avoided the versions that run under windows tho as i think that is defeating the whole point, why would i want to have what essentialy is a windows based linux emulator lol.

i have fedora on my laptop' date=' seems to run fine.[/quote']

yeah i got it too for my work upgrade to fedora 5...

it audio is deteced first time, and the battery monitor works... sweet....ooo

usb drives work too (well i never check in fc3 or 4)

I used Suse 9 for awhile so 10 should be be fine. Knoppix was interesting to use off a disk. I was just trained to use Windows mostly as customers probably have it instead of Linux.

Use google and you can remove the popup that bugs you, Meg. One file needs changed. Watch those updates.

i do admit i liked suse 10.1, yast caused me a few probs but coming back at linux from windows it makes installing software a lot easier. Kubuntu uses adept which is almost as easy. I would recommend Simply Mepis to anyone wanting to escape Mr Gates's clutches as long as they dont have a usb wireless adapter.

I actually bought a copy of Mandriva linux not too long ago (Bought it for around 25 canadian), just so that it had the ATI drivers install by default, instead of having to muck about with kernal recompiling. Basiclly, if you have winex and / or cdgrea installed, and know how to google " linux" you can get instructions or patches, to run almost any game under linux if you're willing to do a little leg work.

I have installed, and can 100% vouch for the stability at the moment under linux for:

Soldier of fortune 2 (And any other Quake 3 based game, like MOH:AA, Elite Force for eg)

Counterstrike: Source

Half Life 2

Falout 1&2

Return to castle wolfenstine: Enemy terrirory (Native Linux version)

Postal 2 / Expantion

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Even with all the features i am using on Linux it still starts up in a 1/3 of the time my windoze does the only good thing about windoze is all my games run on it' date=' if i could play them on Linux i would do away with XP totally.[/quote']

Yeah thats the issue isn't it... there's still so much software that you just can't run on linux.

Mind you, I made the total transition a few weeks back to Ubuntu Linux and LOVE it. I just this week ugraded to the Dapper Drake build of Ubuntu and its better still!

ubuntu_0.gif

sticking to the thread...

i supose one con is that its hard to install newer software... dam it it gets up my nose whenthings just don't work

damn those dependencies!!!! they be the death of mee....

i mean i'm pretty lets say advanced user when it comes to windows...

yet theres so many ppl out there that have trouble using it....

so if i have some trouble with it ppl won't bother... i mean it takes alot of effort to get

things right & used to it....

they have to make it easier than windows if they wanna make an impact....

as for games well i thinks seeing what the like of what the nu xbox can do

i think generaly ppl wont bother with games on pc...

i can already see the move wear ppl rather havea laptop than a pc,,, so there no chance/ interest

in game since upgrades are still expensive....

seems to me cheaper to upgrade my graphics card than to buy an xbox :)

yeah them dependancies do suck, ubuntu and suse however are as easy to use if not easier in some ways than windoze, adept in ubuntu is pretty much a case of searchin for ya app, checkin it and clickin accept. yast on suse is almost as easy too.

but damn when things go wrong with linux its bad news to get it going again.

so pros over win :- faster, streamable (as in streamline), free, cutting edge (tho it didnt use to be), secure and great to learn how an OS works with it being open source.

Cons :- dreaded command lines, havin to type passwords all the time, hard to fix when it has problems and lack of dedicated linux software.

I would add although linux is harder to fix coming back to it from years of win32 experience i'm sure to a linux user going to windows for the first time windows would be hard. Also you can run windows under linux easily enough if you want to.

I've been using Ubuntu since warty, and exclusively since breezy development flight 3. Being Windows free is great. I have no problems with gaming either (I've got a nice list of favorites, plus I've been known to use cedega from time to time in order to run windows games). I also have a great way of running windows programs should I need to, such as flash 8 or mIRC (I normally use xchat, which I like better, but there are some mIRC scripts I need to use sometimes). What I have done is installed IE6 through wine with IEs 4 linux (super easy automated install script) and then I just use IE6 as a front end to install and launch windows apps. It's so simple, an 8 year old could do it.

I can't praise Ubuntu enough. Mark Shuttleworth is my personal hero. What he's done for linux is incalculable. I'm happy, stable, and more flexible than any windows user could hope to be. Ubuntu really is easy, the live CD even uses my wireless card OotB without any trouble or configuring. Most of the linux critics these days have no idea what they are talking about anymore. They are still thinking about the pre-ubuntu/pre suse 10 days of dependancy hell, lack of alternatives, and command line necesity. None of these problems are the case anymore. And in the unlikely event something goes wrong (which should never be the case if you know what you're doing) it only takes about an hour to get back up and running right where you left off (again, if you know what you're doing, like being sure to keep external backups of crucial config files such as xorg.conf, sources.list, etc... and using a seperate partition for /home so you don't lose your settings and documents and stuff if you have to do a fresh re-install. plus in a total emergency, now you can just pop in the live cd and use it to backup your data to a thumbdrive or something. none of this has ever happened to me, but it's nice to know I have tons of easy options if it does).

Plus, now with dapper, you can boot into a fully functional desktop environment before you even install the damn thing, and run the install process while you browse the web. It's friggin' gnu heavan! The only thing it's missing IMO is OotB 3d acceleration, which in reality is only a few points and clicks away anyways and isn't there by default dude to licensing because ubuntu is supposed to be 100% free OotB.

And xgl kicks ass, but AIGLX is worth keeping an eye on as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIGLX